PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Karmic keeps freezing even after fresh re-install

tperwez
April 20th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Hi,

I posted this problem of Karmic 9.10 freeze ups after I upgraded from 9.04 using iso image. Since I was advised by some gurus to try clean install, which I did last night. However, the system froze again while it was updating the packages and some package broke which led to yet ANOTHER clean install. However, after updating the packages, the system freezes up again. I do not have to be browsing with Firefox for this to happen. It can happen anytime. The system otherwise reports that it is up-to-date.

One situation where it happens 100% of the times is when I Lock the Screen or when the system locks the screen itself after inactivity. Then the screen stays blank and cannto be brought back. It always requires hard boot.

I am running
AMD Athlon 2400+
NVidia graphics card

I doubt that there is any hardware problem because everything seems to be working fine. No errors are generated during or after boot.

This has been a very frustrating experience since I first upgraded to 9.10 last Friday. I am thinking now of going back to 9.04 until I can clean install 10.04 in a few weeks time.

I would appreciate any suggestions or comments regarding this nasty problem.

Regards,

Tariq'