PDA

View Full Version : Last.FM

OldGoat58
April 20th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Greetings and Hallucinations Everyone,

3 quick questions, if you please.

1) Have you used, or do you use, Last.FM?

2) If you have, or do, did you install the Last.FM scrobbler so you could sync your media player with Last.FM?

3) Did you add the Last.FM Apt Repository?

As always I appreciate any feed back good or bad.

Thanks!
Mike
Fairless Hills, PA

Iowan
April 20th, 2010, 10:52 PM
Moved to Cafe for discussion. :)

NightwishFan
April 20th, 2010, 10:57 PM
I have a last.fm but I never use it any more. What is the purpose of the apt repository?

Shpongle
April 20th, 2010, 11:19 PM
I just use the rhythmbox plugin

Minipalmer
April 20th, 2010, 11:21 PM
I use the Songbird plug in. Also, as someone said, what's the point of the repository?

MattTastic
April 20th, 2010, 11:21 PM
Kinda use it, from time to time. Have the plugin for rhythmbox, so it is scrobbing. As for the apt... no I don't think so.

descendent87
April 20th, 2010, 11:27 PM
Yeah I've used it on rhythmbox, banshee, songbird and amarok. no need to install anything extra or add any repo's as most music players have a built in plugin to scrobble and listen to radio streams

kk0sse54
April 21st, 2010, 12:11 AM
Yea I use it with mpdscribble for scrobbling with mpd and the ipodscrobbler.py script to scrobble my ipod

WiFi Ed
April 21st, 2010, 01:59 AM
Yea I use it with mpdscribble for scrobbling with mpd and the ipodscrobbler.py script to scrobble my ipod

Ok, I give up. I'm officially too old now....

tgalati4
April 21st, 2010, 02:34 AM
I use vagalume on both my n800 and on Ubuntu.

You ain't hip unless you scrobble. You ain't hip if you scrabble.

Frogs Hair
April 21st, 2010, 03:22 AM
I use it for listening only. Their sites been having problems for the last couple of hours.
They had a message up a little while ago.

Ebere
April 21st, 2010, 04:48 AM
Ok, I give up. I'm officially too old now....

ROFLMAO

I'm in the same boat.

;)

And is it just me, or does the post directly following yours seem like it should be deleted for explicit sexual content ?

LOL

OldGoat58
April 22nd, 2010, 03:25 AM
Well, now, so let me see if I have this right. You all have, but not all of you currently, use Last.fm as a source of music. And if I'm not mistaken you all have, with the exception of some, used some sort of scrobbling device or code, and as far as I can tell, NONE of YOU added the Last.fm repository to your package manager application.

Damn! I think I just might be confused! hehehe

Thanks for all the input.

Mike
Fairless Hills, PA

irvotheturbo
April 22nd, 2010, 11:10 AM
I think most of us just scrobble our music with our own music player to Last.FM. No need to install an extra application or add a repository for it.
Most media players have a plugin built-in, so you can just enter your login and off you go scrobbling!

For example in Rhyhtmbox, you just go to Edit -> Plugins -> Last.fm and click Configure.
Play your music and it'll show up on your profile!

(it's a shame Audacious left the plug-in out of it's latest versions!)

cascade9
April 22nd, 2010, 11:43 AM
Greetings and Hallucinations Everyone,

3 quick questions, if you please.

1) Have you used, or do you use, Last.FM?

2) If you have, or do, did you install the Last.FM scrobbler so you could sync your media player with Last.FM?

3) Did you add the Last.FM Apt Repository?

As always I appreciate any feed back good or bad.

Thanks!
Mike
Fairless Hills, PA

1- I used to, but quit when they put in the restrictions in- must be from the UK/US/Germany to use the radio without being a subscriber...very lame. The 'explaination' from lastFM was lame as well.

2- Never needed to, the media players I used (foobar2000 and VLC) both have a scrobber built in.

3- Nope. By the time I had moved my media over to linux, I had stopped using last.fm. Never to return (well, I might consider going back IF they dropped the restrictions......and getting the older (pre2008 ) interface back would be nice as well, but thats never going to happen).

The radio was the only feature that kept me scrobbing- the reccomendations were useless ('similar to' in most cases is 'nothing alike but listened to by people who also listen to something in your playlist').

Pity that lastFM went so bad, but the writing was on the wall when CBS bought them IMO.

V for Vincent
April 22nd, 2010, 12:03 PM
1)yes
2)yes
3)no

OldGoat58
April 23rd, 2010, 06:05 PM
Once again the great people of Ubuntu Forums kept me from completely getting myself in over my head. After reading everyone's posts and comments I took the time to go back to Last.FM and view it with sober eyes.

That's the damnedest thing I have ever seen, a website that updates as you use your music player. This scrobbling you all speak of is truly an amazing thing. I hope the person that posted that they "Were officially too old" will reconsider their comment. As we grow older our sources of education broaden, because it is with youth that knowledge lies.

tgalati4
April 23rd, 2010, 07:12 PM
Because you can listen to last.fm from several devices (desktop, laptop, notebook, tablet, mobile) and mark your favorites, last.fm actually becomes more useful the more you use it.

Scrobbling captures what you are listening to: either your own music collection, or what you stream from last.fm.

Scrobbling is a form of crowd-sourcing: capturing data from a wide user base. How you use it is up to you. Just keeping a list of songs that you like (i.e. favorites) is a useful function.

If you have never seen or heard of last.fm, then it takes some time to understand how it works.