PDA

View Full Version : Patent Absurdity: The Movie

3rdalbum
April 20th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Anyone seen this yet? It's still downloading (I'm getting the high quality version) as I don't really feel like opening an HTML 5 browser :-)

http://patentabsurdity.com/

lovinglinux
April 21st, 2010, 05:54 AM
Anyone seen this yet? It's still downloading (I'm getting the high quality version) as I don't really feel like opening an HTML 5 browser :-)

http://patentabsurdity.com/

The web version works for me on Firefox 3.6.5pre.

madjr
April 21st, 2010, 06:27 AM
oh goody an html5 movie

works ok in ff3.5 in karmic i think (the ogv is kinda cpu intensive...), better to download it

am just happy that those stupid patents only work in the country granted by even dumber people

JamezQ
April 21st, 2010, 06:35 AM
I have seen this, I downloaded the HD torrent. It is well make and really makes you think.

lovinglinux
April 21st, 2010, 07:05 AM
Interesting that most peer clients sharing the HD version are those commonly used on Linux. Additionally, the are only a couple of uTorrent clients.

Frak
April 21st, 2010, 08:14 AM
Too bad I can only get it in ogv.

3rdalbum
April 21st, 2010, 08:45 AM

FFMPEG can convert it to whatever else you need. Obviously they're not going to provide it in any patented formats!

benmoran
April 21st, 2010, 09:42 AM
I'm seeding the HD version. Its only a half hour film, so hopefully that entices more people to watch it. It's almost laughable how busted the patent system is.

Edit: I no longer live in the US, but I still still take this stuff seriously. Everyone should.

phrostbyte
July 25th, 2010, 04:15 PM
It's a pretty good movie.

If only someone could patent the act of filing ridiculous patents. Unfortunately there is probably too much prior art. :(

McRat
July 25th, 2010, 07:45 PM

Don't the other formats involve silly patents? No idea really. A default Ubuntu install reads ogv just fine.

Yvan300
July 25th, 2010, 08:03 PM
I'll watch it later, hope its interesting!

betrunkenaffe
July 25th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Have watched it. I agree that software patents are ridiculous and until such time as the US govt stops treating software as patentable, you will have such massive creative restrictions that advances will only occur by big business (and even then will occur much more slowly).

j7%<RmUg
July 25th, 2010, 08:21 PM
I really enjoyed it, very well made. Learning about how what we have today came about in the first place is very eye opening.

Phrea
July 25th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Lucid/Opera
Works fine. :)

murderslastcrow
July 25th, 2010, 09:22 PM
I hope peoples' portable devices *ahem, you know which ones I'm talking about* finally start supporting OGG and OGV like everyone else soon. It's about time they became standard. If it were up to me, every mp3 would be a smaller, higher quality ogg, and every video would be OGV, or within a year or so WebM.

Unfortunately some people have reasons not to want the most efficient media formats to become standards. We need to tell them it's too bad, because we'll do what we want with OUR media.

So if you can, you should try to get one of those open-standards-compliant players and send the other company some feedback as to the reason why you dropped their products. This should increase their probability to support them.

jerenept
July 25th, 2010, 10:18 PM
I patent this: e=mc squared

Pythagoras did not invent the "Pythagoras' theorem"

He heard it from a priest at an Egyptian temple. If that priest had felt it necessary to protect his "intellectual rights" we would be unable to find the hypotenuse of a triangle using the other two sides.