PDA

View Full Version : Firefox users: How many extensions do you have

standingwave
April 20th, 2010, 12:48 PM
running presently?

18 here.

CharlesA
April 20th, 2010, 01:29 PM
I have 4 running. I wonder if I am in the minority.

undecim
April 20th, 2010, 02:03 PM
15 here.

Also, this should be a poll

madnessjack
April 20th, 2010, 03:11 PM
24, could do with a clean out

Phrea
April 20th, 2010, 03:13 PM

Cuddles McKitten
April 20th, 2010, 04:00 PM
5!

laceration
April 20th, 2010, 04:02 PM

Najmudin
April 20th, 2010, 04:08 PM

Bachstelze
April 20th, 2010, 04:08 PM

RiceMonster
April 20th, 2010, 04:15 PM

BrokenKingpin
April 20th, 2010, 04:43 PM
2: Xmarks and a regular expression tester

Swarms
April 20th, 2010, 05:00 PM
I really can't see the benefit in most of the plugins, if my requirement was legitimate it should be included in the default install.
But for people with special requirements I do understand the need of plugins.

But I use 0 plugins.

madnessjack
April 20th, 2010, 05:07 PM
I really can't see the benefit in most of the plugins, if my requirement was legitimate it should be included in the default install.
But for people with special requirements I do understand the need of plugins.

But I use 0 plugins.
Add-ons != plugins ;)

buddyd16
April 20th, 2010, 05:08 PM
I use 2 extensions not counting the 2 installed by default with ubuntu (webfav & Ubuntu Firefox Modifications); AdBlock Plus and Compact Menu.

AdBlock Plus - As the title implies it blocks ads based on a list you subscribe to.

Compact Menu - Reduces the Main menu to an icon. Comes in handy on my netbook.

For those of you that are using 10+ extensions/plugins would you mind listing them and perhaps providing a link to them or a brief description?

TheSqueak
April 20th, 2010, 05:11 PM

I guess I should clean some out at some point.

madnessjack
April 20th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Here's a screenie of my old setup:

http://jack.kingbrick.co.uk/blog/firefox-addons.png

A few links on my set up:
http://jack.kingbrick.co.uk/madness/2009/08/firefox-hunting
http://jack.kingbrick.co.uk/madness/2010/01/wide-desktop-vertical-toolbars

May post a later version when I get back home.

AllRadioisDead
April 20th, 2010, 05:21 PM
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/2/27874/600107-oh_you_super.jpg

Swarms
April 20th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Add-ons != plugins ;)

Oh right sorry. :P

aysiu
April 20th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Poll added.

I have only one extension installed: NoScript

standingwave
April 20th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Poll added.Thanks.

temenex
April 20th, 2010, 07:47 PM
:)

Simian Man
April 20th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Jesus no wonder people on this forum complain about Firefox's speed. What could you need over 20 addons for??

I have add-block plus and a Google translate addon.

aysiu
April 20th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Jesus no wonder people on this forum complain about Firefox's speed. What could you need over 20 addons for??

I'm not sure either.

When I first started using Firefox, I think it was in release 1.0.4 or something, and I was thrilled about extensions. I was installing them left and right. Pretty soon I realized most of them were useless to me. So now I just use NoScript.

I'm sure others must have their reasons for having so many extensions installed.

Frogs Hair
April 20th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Just added Better Privacy, it clears flash cookies and super cookies.

madnessjack
April 20th, 2010, 09:17 PM

Web development. And I like my tabs on the side. And I hide the menu-bar. And so on and so on :P

standingwave
April 20th, 2010, 09:37 PM
I'm sure others must have their reasons for having so many extensions installed.

Let's see...
Security: AdblockPlus, Flashblock, NoScript
Streamline the interface: AutohideStatusbar, Hide Findbar, Hide Menubar, Tiny Menu
Download tools: DownloadHelper, DownThemAll, Pearl Crescent PageSaver
Misc: ImageZoom, DictionaryTooltip, FEBE, MultiLinks, QuoteURLText, RestartFirefox, TabCounter
They quickly add up.

dragos240
April 20th, 2010, 09:39 PM
I have 1 on my netbook. And 3-4 on my home tower.

wojox
April 20th, 2010, 09:46 PM
Seven

Found LoL the other day. Now I can surf the web from my keyboard. In fact I could probably disconnect the mouse from my tower since all I used it for was to click links in web pages.

gemmakaru
April 20th, 2010, 09:48 PM
err zero.

Minipalmer
April 20th, 2010, 09:55 PM
I've got 9 on a Fresh install.

Some aesthetic stuff to save screen real estate, screengrab, ad block+, XMarks, video downloader, and split panes.

blur xc
April 20th, 2010, 09:58 PM
My Win7 setup is my most recent and ideal configuration-

looks:
Strata 40 theme
Strata Buddy (set tabs on top of url bar)
fission

Screen space savings:
compact menu 2 (though willing to try others)

Security:
Noscript
Adblock plus

Productivity:
Better Gmail2
Faviconize tabs
Permatabs Mod
Omnibar
Xmarks

Permatabs and Faviconize are two fantastic extensions to have running together. I absolutely love it. Omnibar makes doing google searches faster, as before I'd have to ctrl-l to highlight the url bar, and then hit tab to skip over to the google box. Now, ctrl-l and enter search term... My Ubuntu setup is almost identical, except missing the strata 40 theme and strata buddy. I used to be available for Linux but that's seems to be no more...

BM

MindSz
April 20th, 2010, 10:04 PM
None ... yet

speedwell68
April 20th, 2010, 10:12 PM

I have added one just reading this thread. But that is after a big clearout. I do genuinely use them all daily. These are the one that I really can't do without. It is the addons that stops me from using Chromium full time. I know Chromium is certainly smoother in use that FF but every time I use there will be some little feature provided by an addon that I miss.

v1ad
April 20th, 2010, 10:18 PM
Chrome ftw :] fast easy and is having a lot of extensions for it also.

miles2152
April 20th, 2010, 10:28 PM
I am running 5. I can't imagine being able to keep up with 18 or more.

dearingj
April 20th, 2010, 11:13 PM
15 on this computer:

Amazon Wish List
BugMeNot
CheckIt
Destroy the Web
Extended Statusbar
FirefoxNotify
FireGPG
Greasefire
Greasemonkey
OptimizeGoogle
Torbutton
Ubuntu Firefox Modifications
UMarks
User Agent Switcher
Weave Sync

lovinglinux
April 21st, 2010, 03:23 AM
Currently I have 52 :)

Here is my list (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/collection/lovinglinux)

Well... for productivity, security, privacy, better interface, making things easier, new features. There are several reasons I use so many add-ons. Obviously that I don't use all of them all the time. Some are just interface enhancements, like Organize Status Bar, so it just sits there doing it's job.

BTW, Firefox works like a charm here and only take 5 seconds to load. I have no complains about FF performance whatsoever.

PhilGil
April 21st, 2010, 04:37 AM
16 for me (2 of which I keep disabled unless I need them). I'm actually surpried that I'm one of the heavier add-on users. Most of mine are UI modifications and context-menu items. Firefox loads fine for me, too.

Adblock Plus: I know I shouldn't, but the internet is intolerable without it.

Add to Search Bar: Right-click on a website's search window and you can add it to Firefox's search options.

All-in-One Sidebar: Displays Firefox's pop-up windows (Downloads, Bookmarks, Extensions, etc.) in a sidebar.

Context Search: Highlight text on a web page, right-click and select your search engine from the context menu.

DownThemAll and Flashgot: Downloader and flash video ripper

Firefox Showcase: Displays thumbnails of all your open tabs in a window.

FxIf: Context menu item for viewing the EXIF data of an image.

Google Maps: Context menu item for looking up a highlighted address in google maps.

New Tab Homepage: Displays your home page on a new tab when it opens. My homepage is my bookmarks list so this really comes in handy.

Tab Kit: Vertical tabs and a lotof other tab customizations and context menu options

TinEye Reverse Image Search: Looks up a selected image with Tin Eye (http://www.tineye.com/).

Tiny Menu: Compacts the menu bar.

Toggle Private Browsing: A button to turn private browsing on and off

Zoom Page: Button for zoom controls

http://pgilston.smugmug.com/Odds-and-Ends/Unclassified/Firefox2010-04-20/843263241_fFCA8-M.jpg (http://pgilston.smugmug.com/Odds-and-Ends/Unclassified/7872204_s5FKV#843263241_fFCA8-A-LB)

lovinglinux
April 21st, 2010, 04:58 AM
I'm actually surpried that I'm one of the heavier add-on users.

I'm surprised that 66% use less than 11 add-ons. Man, I have to prioritize a lot to keep my extension number floating around 50. For me, the web browsing experience sucks without them.