PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Would anyone like a new user interface? Ideas go here please

mcoleman44
April 20th, 2010, 04:44 AM
I would like to be able to change the UI, not just the theme. You know what Im saying? Like why do I have to have a square desktop? Why cant it be a circle? (yes I know the screen is square) Why cant I have a 3d interface like Cooliris as a desktop? (Cooliris is awesome BTW, you should definitely check it out!) We should have something like Bumptop. (Look it up, Its awesome too) Why cant I have Compiz with Gnome shell? I know all of this may sound stupid, but its just an idea.

I know you are probably thinking I should have as much customization as I should ever need with Compiz, but I don't. Haha. I would like to be able to completely change the UI.

Does anyone have any ideas or thoughts? (Please remember that I know this is outlandish, Im just curious)

Magnes
April 20th, 2010, 11:55 AM
I just realised that I almost don't use anything from Gnome anymore - I use Compiz with AWN. It would be great for Ubuntu to decide on using something like that by default. I wonder if using Compiz and AWN will be possible on Gnome in Ubuntu 10.4.

What I would like to see in addition to AWN dock (or Docky) by default is MacOS type global menu.

3Miro
April 20th, 2010, 02:38 PM
I would like to be able to change the UI, not just the theme. You know what Im saying? Like why do I have to have a square desktop? Why cant it be a circle? (yes I know the screen is square) Why cant I have a 3d interface like Cooliris as a desktop? (Cooliris is awesome BTW, you should definitely check it out!) We should have something like Bumptop. (Look it up, Its awesome too) Why cant I have Compiz with Gnome shell? I know all of this may sound stupid, but its just an idea.

I know you are probably thinking I should have as much customization as I should ever need with Compiz, but I don't. Haha. I would like to be able to completely change the UI.

Does anyone have any ideas or thoughts? (Please remember that I know this is outlandish, Im just curious)

Check out Gnome-shell; however, it is still in development.

Also, many of us will never clutter out desktops with so much stuff. I need my machine to run other apps, not just an OS. I will never use anything like Cooliris as a desktop and I don't think I will use Gnome-shell either. I don't even use compiz anymore.

P4man
April 20th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Here is an idea I had some time ago:
http://forum.compiz.org/viewtopic.php?f=136&t=11952&start=0

infamous-online
April 20th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Personally, I would like it if Ubuntu had a similiar interface of Apple's Mac pc's using gnome. I mean they don't have to make it the default but give you an option. I would really like that.

mcoleman44
April 20th, 2010, 09:39 PM
What I would like to see in addition to AWN dock (or Docky) by default is MacOS type global menu.I like the Global menu as well, I wouldn't want it as default though. I like the whole osx look but Ubuntu isn't OSX and I like to keep them separated.

Check out Gnome-shell; however, it is still in development.

Also, many of us will never clutter out desktops with so much stuff. I need my machine to run other apps, not just an OS. I will never use anything like Cooliris as a desktop and I don't think I will use Gnome-shell either. I don't even use compiz anymore. I love gnome shell, Ive been using it for about two months now, but I cant stay away from compiz long enough to completely switch over. And on my desktop I completley agree that I dont want to clutter my desktop seeing as its where I do all of my actual work at, but on my laptop I like to have a little more fun with things. Its a multi-touch tablet, so I guess thats the reason Im looking for a more interactive UI.

Here is an idea I had some time ago:
http://forum.compiz.org/viewtopic.ph...=11952&start=0 (http://forum.compiz.org/viewtopic.php?f=136&t=11952&start=0) I really like this Idea. And like I said, if I could have my regular desktop with the app, places, sys menu at the top within gnome shell and have compiz activated while using gnome shell, I think I would fall in love.

Personally, I would like it if Ubuntu had a similiar interface of Apple's Mac pc's using gnome. I mean they don't have to make it the default but give you an option. I would really like that. I agree with you, but once again, I believe this is due to the Ubuntu developers wanting to show the world that were not trying to make a mac like OS or a look alike. Were trying to make Ubuntu.

An Idea I have is to have the current gnome setup with compiz enabled and to have the cube. Instead of cube caps though we could have gnome shell at the top. (I know that may sound stupid and would probably be a programing nightmare, but thats just a look that I would like to see) Heres what I have right now, and if I could just incorporate all of that in gnome shell I would be content.

sfarber53
April 21st, 2010, 12:03 AM
Gnome is a "desktop" not a "shell." I use Gnome because KDE is too complex and uses too much horsepower. It is also worth knowing that Compiz works with the Gnome Desktop. I have it installed and working. It isn't very fancy, but it is more interesting than a plain Gnome desktop.

As to the business of new desktops, I think we have enough going on in the Linux world. These are mostly volunteer projects in a finite base of volunteers. I think it would be wise to avoid overtaxing the available pool of talent by asking for too much.

mcoleman44
April 21st, 2010, 01:10 AM
Yes, there is a gnome desktop. There is also a gnome-shell. Google it. And there is nothing wrong with brainstorming new ideas. How do you think Ubuntu got to where it is today?

ubunterooster
April 21st, 2010, 04:12 AM
If you mention a program, try to give a link if possible.

Cooliris (http://cooliris.com)
Wikipedia on gnome-shell (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNOME_Shell)
Gnome-Shell (http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell)
The last one has a link to instructions.

mcoleman44
April 21st, 2010, 04:31 AM
I will be sure to remember for future reference Roo. Thank you. Maybe your link will clean up the Gnome-shell confusion. :)

mcoleman44
April 21st, 2010, 04:43 AM
@Roo
So what are your thoughts about Gnome-shell and KDE? Im thinking that if there was a way to combine the best parts of each environment, including Compiz, that the result would be fantastic.

ubunterooster
April 21st, 2010, 05:31 PM
KDE? It is the only main DE I have not experimented with a whole lot (I've tried gnome, xcfe, lx11, fluxbox and several others) Only have about a 20hr usage of KDE. Will do some digging....
edit: http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/GettingInvolved
Hmm, I'm beginning to want to alter mine also now.

IT'S CONTAGIOUS!

_0R10N
April 21st, 2010, 07:03 PM
I think that the standard gnome is perfect just the way it is. I mean I believe that it's a great choice to have an standard gnome bundled with ubuntu, because there's a lot of people not able to use compiz, or they just don't want to. Extra tools like compiz, cairo, emerald, they're all awesome (I use all of them) but I think that they should still being an option and not an standard in ubuntu.

_0R10N >>

mcoleman44
April 21st, 2010, 07:43 PM
I think that the standard gnome is perfect just the way it is. I mean I believe that it's a great choice to have an standard gnome bundled with ubuntu, because there's a lot of people not able to use compiz, or they just don't want to. Extra tools like compiz, cairo, emerald, they're all awesome (I use all of them) but I think that they should still being an option and not an standard in ubuntu.
I agree. I wouldnt want it as the
default, but I think "it" should be availble. Im not sure what it is yet, but i
would like it to be gnome-shell with compiz.

3Miro
April 21st, 2010, 07:49 PM
KDE seems to have a minimum requirement for hardware. If you are below that, then it is bad, but once you satisfy it, KDE runs very fast and efficient. Kwin has nice 3D effects, almost as many as compiz and kwin is cheaper to run. Unlike the current version of Gnome-shell, the kwin effects can be disabled. KDE is somewhat complex, but I did not experience a sharp learning curve or anything.

Currently I am using XFCE and I expect to stick with it for some time. XFCE can do everything Gnome can, except it uses fewer resources and is hence considerably faster. I can even run compiz when/if I want. The only disadvantage is that it takes a bit more work to set up (cannot create a launcher by drag and drop for example).

Gnome Desktop:
http://www.flashlinux.org.uk/screenshot/034/gnome-desktop.jpg

Bash Shell:
http://www.codeislove.org/images/cygwin_shell.png

Gnome-shell:
http://linux.softpedia.com/screenshots/GNOME-Shell_1.png
(don't get confused by the name, Gnome-shell is a window manager, like matacity, compiz and kwin, it will be the default on the next generation of Gnome 3.x)

ubunterooster
April 21st, 2010, 08:24 PM
Gnome-shell: 1, is an alternative WM to Compiz (trying to run both at the same time would be like trying to use xfburn and k3b at the same time on one dvd).
2, Is gnome only (as far as I have found).
3, appears very configurable (the cylinder idea may be quite possible)
4, makes me reconsider whether my new pc will use Gnome or XCFE.

mcoleman44
April 21st, 2010, 08:50 PM
I get what your saying Roo, and Im not saying that I want to have them both running at the same time, what Im trying to say is I would like a new desktop environment that combines the best features of Kde and Gnome 3.0.

For example. Lets say the picture below is my current gnome-shell session. Once I click on one of the windows I would like it to look Like my regular desktop and be able to have all the same effects I could with Compiz. Am I making any since at all?

mcoleman44
April 21st, 2010, 08:51 PM
makes me reconsider whether my new pc will use Gnome or XCFE.
What has you reconsidering?

mcoleman44
April 21st, 2010, 08:59 PM
And by the way, I know gnome shell is a windows manager, and what Im trying to say is I would like it to switch from the gnome-shell WM to Compiz after I click on the desktop I want. Im sure that would be difficult but I for one would enjoy that.

3Miro
April 21st, 2010, 09:09 PM
And by the way, I know gnome shell is a windows manager, and what Im trying to say is I would like it to switch from the gnome-shell WM to Compiz after I click on the desktop I want. Im sure that would be difficult but I for one would enjoy that.

With that option you basically want to have compiz with a gnome-shell type of desktop wall (meta + e I guess was the default). It should be easier to achieve from compiz. In any case, I expect more effects will be added to GS in the later versions, just like kwin has more and more effects.

mcoleman44
April 21st, 2010, 09:13 PM
With that option you basically want to have compiz with a gnome-shell type of desktop wall (meta + e I guess was the default). It should be easier to achieve from compiz. In any case, I expect more effects will be added to GS in the later versions, just like kwin has more and more effects. Yes, I guess I just like interactive things. Bumptop (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0ODskdEPnQ ) in particular. Its what I used with windows before I made the switch. I guess it makes me feel like Im actually looking at my computer desk.

Directive 4
April 21st, 2010, 10:14 PM
that shell on the cube caps sounds pretty good.

i was thinking today why can't we use all 6 faces,

why can't we have 9 workspaces on each face, like a rubix cube,
all moving about.... umm.

but most of all i want the title, min, max, quit bar in firefox to be on the same line as
the file edit view history bookmarks bar,

how do i do that.

ubunterooster
April 21st, 2010, 10:50 PM
I get what your saying Roo, and Im not saying that I want to have them both running at the same time, what Im trying to say is I would like a new desktop environment that combines the best features of Kde and Gnome 3.0.

For example. Lets say the picture below is my current gnome-shell session. Once I click on one of the windows I would like it to look Like my regular desktop and be able to have all the same effects I could with Compiz. Am I making any since at all?
Sense, yes. But it looks like a lot of work.

What has you reconsidering?
Gnome-shell. It has everything looking much more configurable

mcoleman44
April 21st, 2010, 10:55 PM
Gnome-shell. It has everything looking much more configurable
Haven't you tried it out yet??
Im glad Im at least making some "sense"(I cant spell, my bad Lol)

ubunterooster
April 21st, 2010, 10:56 PM
Did not try it yet. BTW, I did not even notice sense was spelled wrong.

mcoleman44
April 21st, 2010, 11:02 PM
I didnt either until I saw how you spell it. You should give it a try, its actually kind of fun to play with. And its fairly stable even though its still in development.

mrowth
April 22nd, 2010, 12:25 AM
I'm pretty happy with my vertical panel and click/wheel-responsive desktop in KDE, but I've got some non-KDE-specific ideas. They're not necessarily my own, though I can't attribute them to anyone in particular right now. Perhaps Gnome Shell does some of this in some manner.

1. Applications could autosave current documents to quasi-temporary "bookkeeping" files and on restart reopen them automatically, preserving cursor position, selection, clipboard, undo memory, and so forth. Thus the user won't have to think about paths and filenames until/unless s/he wants to write out a "known good version", reducing filesystem clutter.

2. In addition to single windows/tasks, the desktop environment could offer a mechanism to save and restore arbitrarily many "projects" comprised of thematically related groups of applications and their window geometry and position (the applications would take care of restoring their own states themselves).

Creating a new project could be as easy as shift-selecting the windows involved, right-clicking and picking "Create new project from selected windows" or some such option.

The new project would then become launchable via a "Projects" menu, on a level with the standard Applications/Places/System menus in GNOME or with the Favorites/Applications/Computer/Recently Used/Leave tabs of KDE's Kickoff menu.

Of course its icon could also be dragged to the Applications menu, the panel, the desktop, or whatever app-launching widget there may be.

The project's windows would form a recognizable group on the taskbar (selecting one raises all, etc.) and virtual desktop pager (moving one from virtual desktop X to virtual desktop Y moves all, etc.)

Perhaps the setup of the projects could be saved as auto-generated, desktop-agnostic shell scripts in some "obvious" location to enable custom edits and cross-desktop compatibility for when you feel like running Fluxbox instead.

Essentially this would be a more desktop-integrated, more flexible variety elaboration of desktop sessions (in KDE at least there's always only one of those).

mcoleman44
April 22nd, 2010, 03:45 AM
2. In addition to single windows/tasks, the desktop environment could offer a mechanism to save and restore arbitrarily many "projects" comprised of thematically related groups of applications and their window geometry and position (the applications would take care of restoring their own states themselves).
I actually love this idea. It reminds me of an old project that Im not even sure still exists called Metisse http://insitu.lri.fr/metisse/index.html

Frem
April 22nd, 2010, 04:52 AM
When Metisse first showed up in Mandriva, I tried to get it working on Ubuntu. Nobody would help me on the basis of it being a horribly ugly hack on top of X.org.

The window grouping idea would be interesting. Unfortunately, right now we can't even ensure that applications are started on the virtual desktop/workspace they are launched from. (Launch OpenOffice.org, change workspaces. Note that it pops up on your current workspace, not the old one.)

Granny_Geek
April 22nd, 2010, 09:31 AM
I think your ideas are great...something like Cooliris would definitely work for me integrated into the Desktop somehow and Gnome-Shell and Compiz would be WONDERFUL together if at all possible. I am using Gnome-Shell on Super OS on one partition and Ubuntu with Compiz on another partition because being new to Gnome-Shell, I didn't quite know what to expect and I didn't want to mess up my Ubuntu set-up. Gnome Shell is turning out to be pretty neat, esp with update found here http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/02/few-new-features-in-gnome-shell.html video here showing the update http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN4lW_eaeO8&playnext_from=QL

Magnes
April 22nd, 2010, 10:25 AM
New interface should be made to work great on tablets.

mcoleman44
April 24th, 2010, 12:25 AM
@Granny_Geek,
Im loving the latest updates to gnome-shell. I think the whole layout and feel is very innovative. Metacity and compiz are great but they all look alike. The deaktop layout is always the same. But Gnome-shell is about to change all of that.

@Magnes,
I agree, having a tablet is what made me start this thread. I feel that with a keyboard its
fine to have all the text based applications, menus, nautilus. I just think
there should maybe be a tablet remix like theres a netbook remix. Everything would be more
visual. And instead of keyboard shortcuts We could habe gestures.

mcoleman44
April 24th, 2010, 12:33 AM
Disregard my previous message. I would edit and
fix it but Im typing from my iphone and it wont let me
edit my posts. Anyway. What Im trying to say is the
current GUI still has a way to go before its user friendly to my fingers and stylus and
not my mouse and keyboard.

infamous-online
April 24th, 2010, 01:28 AM
Of course I know I'm probably late here, but something I would like in Ubuntu would be something I saw in Vista before I upgraded to WIndows 7 and that would be how they had their gadgets aligned. In Ubuntu I would love to have my sticky notes, photos, calendar and possibly an rss feeder on the right side of the screen. I don't like how KDE does it would be nice if Gnome would have more apps for it. Also, I like the Mac look with the bottom panel in the center displaying your icons of the programs you use and such. Just tossing out a few ideas out there.

mcoleman44
April 24th, 2010, 02:31 AM
@Infamous-online,
Do you mean something like screenlets (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_EX_Ub-HDCzM/R8dHEYtdQcI/AAAAAAAAAGQ/mid--as1w7g/s400/screenlets.png)
wow!!! Didnt realize the link was that long. My bad

wardeworth
April 24th, 2010, 05:55 AM
Actually i had recently switch to Ubuntu from Windows and It is completely user friendly.
And Ofcource I love the new User Interface in this. What I like in Ubuntu is something I didn't saw in Windows which is their gadgets aligned.
The extra features like emerald,cairo,compiz and many more I like them all.
The new interface is really very configurable.

Alan James
April 24th, 2010, 08:10 AM
I think every device should have a different interface that is tailored to that device. For example: I use XBMC for my media center PC, I use KDE for my desktop and I use HTC Sense for my cell phone. All three of those systems run on Linux but because of their different input styles they have a different interface.

I don't like being different just to be different, but I do like re-thinking ideas and finding what I like. The great thing about Linux is that pretty much any interface you can dream of you can make. Also, pretty much any theme you make can be carried across different interfaces, thus making all your devices look and feel unified, something very important when making your friends jealous.

P4man
April 24th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Here is someone who made a bold new GUI for windows (and os-x):
http://bumptop.com/

Its not something Id run, but I have to credit him for some refreshing idea's

mcoleman44
April 24th, 2010, 04:05 PM
I really love bumptop. I mentioned in post 21 and linked a video. And I agree that each device should have its own interface. Because every device is meant to appeal to
its own audience.

mcoleman44
April 26th, 2010, 06:22 AM
I came across this on Deviantart.com and thought it would be awesome if something like this was made. This mockup is actually for an aircraft but I think it would be awesome to have it as my desktop. With all my stats and maybe the round part in the middle could be the Ubuntu symbol with System, places, applications where the three dots would be on the Ubuntu logo.

I dont know, just putting some more thoughts out there.

luceerose
July 6th, 2010, 02:35 AM
I came across this on Deviantart.com and thought it would be awesome if something like this was made. This mockup is actually for an aircraft but I think it would be awesome to have it as my desktop. With all my stats and maybe the round part in the middle could be the Ubuntu symbol with System, places, applications where the three dots would be on the Ubuntu logo.

I dont know, just putting some more thoughts out there.
That would give me a headache.

but most of all i want the title, min, max, quit bar in firefox to be on the same line as
the file edit view history bookmarks bar,

how do i do that.
That's where Mark Shuttleworth's upcoming "windicators" should go.