PDA

View Full Version : How to make Ubuntu 10.4 look pretty again

samb0057
April 20th, 2010, 03:35 AM
Am I the only person that thinks the new ubuntu theme is horribly ugly? Purple and grey? I just don't get it, the brown wasn't great but it was much better.

Here's what I did to make my ubuntu look better

http://ubuntu.vertitek.com/theme.jpg

sudo apt-get install murrine-themes comixcursors gnome-colors

then, download the two themes attached and install. i also attached a background.

bshosey
April 20th, 2010, 03:38 AM
That looks nice. But I do prefer the default look of ubuntu 10.4. But that does look nice.

FuturePilot
April 20th, 2010, 03:49 AM
First brown was the worst evilest color evar! Now it's awesomer than purple. I don't get this. :rolleyes:

swoll1980
April 20th, 2010, 03:56 AM
I'm not trying to be mean, but that is pretty hideous. The default theme is a rough task, since every one is different. I think the goal is to get 51% of people to not puke when they see it. I think they may have accomplished that task. I like it alot, but who am I?

perlluver
April 20th, 2010, 03:58 AM
I kinda dig the new look, now that windows them up top, no thanks. I prefer Gnome to look like Gnome.

antenna
April 20th, 2010, 04:08 AM
Though the new look isn't completely to my tastes I do think it is a step in the right direction. The notification area looks significantly better than it used to, icons generally look great and I think the new colours have potential. I'm not a fan of the included GTK or Metacity themes though, and I hope they will get refined or replaced in time (though I imagine with Gnome 3 coming everything will end up looking different anyway). Oh, and the wallpaper is bad...

purgatori
April 20th, 2010, 04:14 AM
The brown/orange theming of Ubuntu was one of the things that attracted me to the distro early on. The purple and grey doesn't work at all for me, I'm afraid, but then, I use scrotwm and few graphical applications, so it doesn't really affect me.

lovinglinux
April 20th, 2010, 06:02 AM
I know an easier way....

...install KDE.

:)

akikumar
April 20th, 2010, 06:05 AM
Its really great ! Why any one want a pretty look ! Its good theme ! with excellent modifications

Rasa1111
April 20th, 2010, 06:22 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=153819&stc=1&d=1271740446

I kinda like this, myself. :)
(just posted in april screenshots, but had it in the clipboard) lol

I think 10.04 is the best looking OS ive ever seen.

lovinglinux
April 20th, 2010, 06:48 AM

Personally, I don't like the dark theme, but that is my personal taste. Nevertheless, KDE on Ubuntu Lucid looks amazing to my taste and has amazing features.

asddf
April 20th, 2010, 09:29 AM
I too think 10.4 as a default looks much better than 9.10

Crunchy the Headcrab
April 20th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Personally, I don't like the dark theme, but that is my personal taste. Nevertheless, KDE on Ubuntu Lucid looks amazing to my taste and has amazing features.
I think Oxygen is hideous. To each his own.

NightwishFan
April 20th, 2010, 10:46 AM
The new oxygen is a little better than the old one.

3rdalbum
April 20th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Maybe I'm just late to the party, but I recently discovered Shiki Human with the striped Metacity, and I love it. You get bonus points for using RGBA with it too :-)

Shining Arcanine
April 20th, 2010, 01:14 PM
I agree that Ubuntu 10.04 is horrendously ugly, but the previous them it replaced was not much better. Perhaps it would be better to go with a blue theme like KDE has. That is much more pleasing to the eyes, because it resembles the sky.

northwestuntu
April 20th, 2010, 01:15 PM
well if you like the new theme or hate it. you can always change it :)

so it's never a big deal what it looks like to me.

ladypcer
April 20th, 2010, 01:34 PM
I don't know. I never liked the original Ubuntu theme colors, and I got tired of blue and black theming. I kind of like the new, lighter stuff.
It's part of what got me to try Ubuntu again.

qamelian
April 20th, 2010, 01:56 PM
I agree that Ubuntu 10.04 is horrendously ugly, but the previous them it replaced was not much better. Perhaps it would be better to go with a blue theme like KDE has. That is much more pleasing to the eyes, because it resembles the sky.
It's all a matter of personal taste. Frankly, I'm sick to death of themes using blue. To each his own. :)

Roasted
April 20th, 2010, 02:00 PM
It's all a matter of personal taste. Frankly, I'm sick to death of themes using blue. To each his own. :)

+1.

I find it oddly more comfortable to be using Human, Ambiance, or whatever else. But the blue KDE has makes me shudder. Not hating on KDE, I use both KDE and Gnome relatively heavily... just my 2 cents.

madjr
April 20th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Am I the only person that thinks the new ubuntu theme is horribly ugly? Purple and grey? I just don't get it, the brown wasn't great but it was much better.

then, download the two themes attached and install. i also attached a background.

maybe you should use fedora, because it looks just like it

Macfunky
April 20th, 2010, 08:39 PM
I do understand that for a person being introduced to Ubuntu that if it doesn't look attractive that they may not take it seriously enough. Sad but true. I do however do not see the point in people creating a huge fuzz about the theme when anyone that uses Gnome (or other desktop environments) knows, you can make it look however you want it to look (functionality over aesthetics). By the way I do agree that its ugly. Not so much in its layout but the colours that are used. Too many conflicting colours I think. I like your theme by the way :D

venik212
April 30th, 2010, 08:11 PM
When I rebooted after the upgrade, it could not find Oxygen and stalled. How do I get around that? Where is it told which theme to use?

phrostbyte
April 30th, 2010, 08:23 PM
First brown was the worst evilest color evar! Now it's awesomer than purple. I don't get this. :rolleyes:

I think you have discovered that visual beauty is subjective. :)

ladypcer
April 30th, 2010, 08:31 PM
A little tweaking and it looks fine to me.

gemmakaru
April 30th, 2010, 09:17 PM
Having done an upgrade I still haven't seen the default screen on my own pc but I have seen some screenies and don't really like it. It is so easy to customise though it's pretty irrelevant isn't it. Mine is kind of light grey and pink. The important this is how it runs and so far that's pretty great for me.

TheNerdAL
April 30th, 2010, 10:38 PM
I know an easier way....

...install KDE.

Takes too much resources causing it to go slow. -.-

Your theme is not that great, no offense. The background is great, just need to work on the Theme itself.

TheNerdAL
April 30th, 2010, 10:40 PM

I WANT THE WALLPAPER NOW! Please? :)

cloyd
May 1st, 2010, 02:31 PM
I made a bootable usb of 10.4 last night. I liked the look, then immediately changed it (I made the USB persistant). Really, that is one of the things I have liked about Ubuntu . . . you can make it look however you want it to look. I've seen some screenshots I really liked to look at, but don't think I'd use because some of the items in the panel were hard to see. I've made a few desktops like that. I'm constantly changing my desktop, and change the themes now and then. That is part of the fun of Ubuntu.

Benyt
May 1st, 2010, 02:33 PM

:lolflag: :-DDD this looks realy badddddd !!!!! heyyy do you know something about OS DESIGN !!!!!! :lolflag:

Benyt
May 1st, 2010, 02:35 PM
I WANT THE WALLPAPER NOW! Please? :)

Only Wallpaper is good !! :-S i don't like the windows !!! here you have bad contrast

JDShu
May 1st, 2010, 02:37 PM
I love Ambiance.

Benyt
May 1st, 2010, 02:41 PM
I have Toshiba Satellite L300 with H2O Bios, and i have dual boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu 10.04. In Windows 7 everything works SUPER !! in Ubuntu 10.04 i have a problem with my FN keys, not all of them, only Fn+F3 works and after i press Fn+F3 i can use other Fn keys like Fn+F6 or Fn+F7 for Dispay brightness they start to work :confused: but after i restart my laptop again only Fn+F3 works :confused: . I also think that my CPU is sometimes hot :confused: . Please tell me, i like to use only Ubuntu on my laptop !! Thanks :confused:

NightwishFan
May 1st, 2010, 03:00 PM
Hi Benyt, I think you would get more help if you start your own topic in beginners or general help.

guriinii
May 1st, 2010, 03:16 PM
I know an easier way....

...install KDE.

What Lego Linux?!

Just install #! Chrunchbang Linux and change EVERYTHING.

alexfish
May 1st, 2010, 04:41 PM
One for the ladies

sixthwheel
May 1st, 2010, 05:04 PM
I love the new default look, also love the buttons on the left.
Been testing it since Beta1, and never even tried any other themes.

abclemons
May 1st, 2010, 05:11 PM
So yeah... It looks good. Orange & Brown, whatever. Purple & Grey, why not? Regardless, I full screen apps. The theme has never been a priority since I use my OS instead of staring at it. :)

aklo
May 1st, 2010, 05:28 PM
I think the original purple wall paper with black theme is nice. I'm using it now and loving it. A nice change from the theme from karmic.

Oh i and 10.04 is smooth for me.

Kyle1457
October 9th, 2010, 10:32 PM
ok so i am completely new to ubuntu and the linux os, if anyone could give me step by step on how to get rid of this purple that would be great, or tell me how to install the files that this originals post has to download. thx

Spice Weasel
October 9th, 2010, 10:34 PM
The latest version of Ubuntu came out on the fortieth month...? Wooah!

Kevdunleavy
October 10th, 2010, 12:57 AM
I personally have always like the 'New Wave' theme.

Its an easy way to get the buttons back to the right side too (if you prefer them there).

jerehart
October 25th, 2010, 06:26 PM
This is a fun theme repository for 10.4

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/04/bisigi-ubuntu-1004-lucid-themes-move-to.html
:KS

Spice Weasel
October 25th, 2010, 06:27 PM
This is a fun theme repository for 10.4

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/04/bisigi-ubuntu-1004-lucid-themes-move-to.html
:KS

I wasn't aware 10.40 was released yet.

mainerror
October 25th, 2010, 06:31 PM
To make Ubuntu 10.04 nice you just have to install the elementary theme. :)

Spice Weasel
October 25th, 2010, 06:37 PM
Elementary is very nice. The theme that is, definitely not the OS.

Canis familiaris
October 25th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Ambiance is boss.

beew
October 25th, 2010, 06:44 PM
I guess it is all subjective. I find 10.10 really pretty, I installed compiz and added the cairo dock and showed it to my friends and they all went "Wow!!". It looks a lot nicer than Windows7 IMO.