PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 8.10 wireless issue

cwilson85
April 20th, 2010, 02:15 AM
I have a Toshiba, satelite running ubuntu 8.10

I have a wep security router for my wireless, other pc's are receiving and connecting to the wireless fine. So it's not equipment there. But I don't know how to even search for a wireless network/connection with 8.10 or if it does it on it's own.

some help lmao plz

bkratz
April 20th, 2010, 02:38 AM
I have a Toshiba, satelite running ubuntu 8.10

I have a wep security router for my wireless, other pc's are receiving and connecting to the wireless fine. So it's not equipment there. But I don't know how to even search for a wireless network/connection with 8.10 or if it does it on it's own.

some help lmao plz

8.10 is kinda old--I think support is just about ready to expire, you might consider updating to a more recent version. Anyway, if you go to the terminal (Applications>>Accessories>>Terminal) and enter in

sudo iwlist scan

it should show all available A/P's . Since it is a sudo command you will have to enter your password which will not be dispayed at all, just enter it and press return. Also, I believe you can just left-click on the network icon and see them without all the extra data, like encryption etc.

cwilson85
April 25th, 2010, 04:48 PM
thank you so much i'm going to try it. i had 9.10 but it kept going all crazy

shaka_zulu
April 25th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Also be aware that you have allowed on router option that more computers can access at the same time. Example: I have wireless router - one computer goes via ethernet and two laptops via wireless. If all of them are working at the same time there is no chance that fourth one can access. So check if you have number of allowed computers in the same moment configured.