PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] install new driver

roundhead
April 20th, 2010, 02:11 AM
I have been searching off and on for weeks. I am using 9.10 Karma and have the broadcom b43 card. when I go to the Hardware Drivers, it shows the Broadcom STA wireless driver is activated and currently in use. BUT under the wireless network driver tab (System, Admin, Windows wireless drivers) there is nothing showing up. Everyone says to look for the Network Admin icon on the top right screen but there is nothing there. there is no wireless icon. there used to be, but it never worked. I have tried downloading the driver and I have extracted it. but I dont know how to install it. Or is it already installed. I am new to Linux and have really tried to find a solution...no avail. thanks so much for any suggestions

bkratz
April 20th, 2010, 02:21 AM
I have been searching off and on for weeks. I am using 9.10 Karma and have the broadcom b43 card. when I go to the Hardware Drivers, it shows the Broadcom STA wireless driver is activated and currently in use. BUT under the wireless network driver tab (System, Admin, Windows wireless drivers) there is nothing showing up. Everyone says to look for the Network Admin icon on the top right screen but there is nothing there. there is no wireless icon. there used to be, but it never worked. I have tried downloading the driver and I have extracted it. but I dont know how to install it. Or is it already installed. I am new to Linux and have really tried to find a solution...no avail. thanks so much for any suggestions

First I think we need to determine which wireless card you have so we know whether b43 or sta is appropriate.
Go to the termina (Application>>Accessories>>Terminal) and enter in

lspci | grep Network

that is LSPCI in lowercase N in upper, and copy/paste the output back here or simply report back it should be BCM43xx xx is what we need to know.

roundhead
April 20th, 2010, 02:50 AM
BCM 4312 802.11a/b/g
shouldnt I be able to cut and paste? doesnt seem to work

bkratz
April 20th, 2010, 03:15 AM
BCM 4312 802.11a/b/g
shouldnt I be able to cut and paste? doesnt seem to work

Well the sta driver is the correct one; however, did you try to use ndiswrapper at some point? That's the only way I know to get the Windows wireless driver entry in System>>Administration, by downloading ndisgtk. If so, we will probably have to remove it or blacklist it and then try (just save this for later)

I have a good thread about that, just need some time to find it.

(here is the thread, just in case we need it and I lose it again!)
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=507378
just for reference--don't do unless we need to!

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get --reinstall install bcmwl-kernel-source

could you also post the output of

lsmod

(that is LSMOD in lowercase). How are you trying to do the copy/paste?

roundhead
April 20th, 2010, 05:02 PM
E: The method driver /usr/lib/apt/methods/attp could not be found.
E: The method driver /usr/lib/apt/methods/attp could not be found.
stewart@dell1501:~$ lsmod
Module Size Used by
isofs 31620 1
udf 80900 0
crc_itu_t 1852 1 udf
xt_TCPMSS 3868 1
xt_limit 2176 8
xt_tcpudp 2780 11
nf_nat_irc 2012 0
nf_nat_ftp 2652 0
ipt_LOG 5344 8
ipt_MASQUERADE 2204 1
xt_DSCP 2844 0
ipt_REJECT 2812 1
nf_conntrack_irc 4992 1 nf_nat_irc
nf_conntrack_ftp 6880 1 nf_nat_ftp
xt_state 1820 8
binfmt_misc 8356 1
ppdev 6688 0
joydev 10240 0
iptable_nat 5500 1
nf_nat 18096 4 nf_nat_irc,nf_nat_ftp,ipt_MASQUERADE,iptable_nat
nf_conntrack_ipv4 13352 11 iptable_nat,nf_nat
nf_conntrack 67484 9 nf_nat_irc,nf_nat_ftp,ipt_MASQUERADE,nf_conntrack_ irc,nf_conntrack_ftp,xt_state,iptable_nat,nf_nat,n f_conntrack_ipv4
nf_defrag_ipv4 1756 1 nf_conntrack_ipv4
iptable_mangle 3452 0
snd_hda_codec_idt 59876 1
snd_hda_intel 26920 2
snd_hda_codec 75708 2 snd_hda_codec_idt,snd_hda_intel
snd_hwdep 7200 1 snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm_oss 37920 0
snd_mixer_oss 16028 1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm 75296 3 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm_oss
snd_seq_dummy 2656 0
iptable_filter 3100 1
b44 28652 0
ssb 35524 1 b44
mii 5212 1 b44
lib80211_crypt_tkip 8636 0
snd_seq_oss 28576 0
snd_seq_midi 6464 0
dell_wmi 2564 0
ip_tables 11692 3 iptable_nat,iptable_mangle,iptable_filter
x_tables 16544 10 xt_TCPMSS,xt_limit,xt_tcpudp,ipt_LOG,ipt_MASQUERAD E,xt_DSCP,ipt_REJECT,xt_state,iptable_nat,ip_table s
snd_rawmidi 22176 1 snd_seq_midi
snd_seq_midi_event 6940 2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
wl 1272936 0
dell_laptop 8128 0
dcdbas 7292 1 dell_laptop
psmouse 56500 0
serio_raw 5280 0
ricoh_mmc 3676 0
sdhci_pci 7100 0
sdhci 17504 1 sdhci_pci
led_class 4096 1 sdhci
lib80211 6432 2 lib80211_crypt_tkip,wl
k8temp 4188 0
snd_seq 50224 6 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_mid i_event
snd_timer 22276 2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd_seq_device 6920 5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi ,snd_seq
snd 59204 16 snd_hda_codec_idt,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_ hwdep,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_seq_os s,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
soundcore 7264 1 snd
snd_page_alloc 9156 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
i2c_piix4 9932 0
shpchp 32272 0
lp 8964 0
parport 35340 2 ppdev,lp
radeon 636000 2
ttm 36212 1 radeon
drm 160032 4 radeon,ttm
i2c_algo_bit 5760 1 radeon
video 19380 0
output 2780 1 video
ati_agp 6760 0
agpgart 34988 3 ttm,drm,ati_agp

sorry I was trying ctrl C instead of highlighting and copying/paste...I asked Chilli about that install bcmwl since nothing was happening. I will post the output.
thanks for your help!

roundhead
April 20th, 2010, 05:05 PM
also as you can see, when I did the get update it said driver could not be found. I know that I did blacklist B43 as suggested in another thread. and I am sure that I tried the ndiscwrapper as well. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Stewart

bkratz
April 20th, 2010, 05:44 PM
also as you can see, when I did the get update it said driver could not be found. I know that I did blacklist B43 as suggested in another thread. and I am sure that I tried the ndiscwrapper as well. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Stewart

Well I don't see ndiswrapper in your modules so you must have already removed it. I do see several interesting things though, the b44 and ssb drivers which are probably used by your ethernet controller, so they can't be removed or blacklisted. I do see WL so the STA driver is there which is good.

I also see several modules that are indicative of a dell laptop. Is it? If so you might want to read the following:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9031581&postcount=2

Here is another thread by probably the best Broadcom person: Ayuthia which looks suspiciously just like yours you could probably find answers there ( it is very specifically documented)

http://www.uluga.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1308533

it should get you working.

By the way if the first link works we will have to make it permanent, so post back.

roundhead
April 20th, 2010, 06:54 PM
yes it is a dell...I tried sudo rmmod -f dell-laptop and this is the message
ERROR: Removing 'dell_laptop': No such file or directory

roundhead
April 20th, 2010, 06:59 PM
I followed Ayuthia's instructions and here is the result

stewart@dell1501:~$ sudo modprobe -r b43 wl
WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist, it will be ignored in a future release.
WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper, it will be ignored in a future release.
WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist, it will be ignored in a future release.
WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper, it will be ignored in a future release.
stewart@dell1501:~$ sudo modprobe -r b43 ssb wl
FATAL: Module ssb is in use.
stewart@dell1501:~$ sudo modprobe wl
stewart@dell1501:~$ sudo iwlist scan
lo Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth2 Scan completed :
Cell 01 - Address: 00:1C:10:8A:52:4C
ESSID:"BBC"
Mode:Managed
Frequency:2.437 GHz (Channel 6)
Quality:5/5 Signal level:-36 dBm Noise level:-92 dBm
IE: WPA Version 1
Group Cipher : TKIP
Pairwise Ciphers (1) : TKIP
Authentication Suites (1) : PSK
Encryption key:on
Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s
24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s; 9 Mb/s
12 Mb/s; 48 Mb/s
Cell 02 - Address: 00:12:0E:89:43:98
ESSID:"08FX02046909"
Quality:2/5 Signal level:-71 dBm Noise level:-92 dBm
Encryption key:off
Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s
9 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s
48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s

eth0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

stewart@dell1501:~$
Ayuthia's instructions....here is the result

roundhead
April 20th, 2010, 07:34 PM
the ndiswrapper shows up in the system/admin/synaptic package manager

bkratz
April 20th, 2010, 08:51 PM
I followed Ayuthia's instructions and here is the result

stewart@dell1501:~$ sudo modprobe -r b43 wl
stewart@dell1501:~$ sudo modprobe -r b43 ssb wl
FATAL: Module ssb is in use.
stewart@dell1501:~$ sudo modprobe wl
stewart@dell1501:~$ sudo iwlist scan
lo Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth2 Scan completed :
Cell 01 - Address: 00:1C:10:8A:52:4C
ESSID:"BBC"
Quality:5/5 Signal level:-36 dBm Noise level:-92 dBm
IE: WPA Version 1
Group Cipher : TKIP
Pairwise Ciphers (1) : TKIP
Authentication Suites (1) : PSK
Encryption key:on
Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s
24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s; 9 Mb/s
12 Mb/s; 48 Mb/s
Cell 02 - Address: 00:12:0E:89:43:98
ESSID:"08FX02046909"
Quality:2/5 Signal level:-71 dBm Noise level:-92 dBm
Encryption key:off
Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s
9 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s
48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s

eth0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

stewart@dell1501:~$
Ayuthia's instructions....here is the result

Told you not to remove ssb!, just kidding. All the rest of the warnings you can ignore-- they don't mean anything. It looks like you have a working interface. Can you temporarily remove encryption just to make sure you can connect? I never did get tkip/aes working as a combination, but I did get Wpa2 with aes (only) working quite well. Congratulations, you are about there. The Dell_laptop module shows up in the modules shown, but if it doesn't matter, don't worry. I did notice that the original post shows a dash rather than an underscore after the word Dell (that is the way I copied from the original). If it still doesn't connect try removing Dell_laptop rather than Dell-laptop, but if it works don't mess with it. You could remove the windows wireless drivers using synaptic by removing ndisgtk, but why bother, just ignore it. Hopefully you are set if not post back.

roundhead
April 21st, 2010, 08:22 PM
Told you not to remove ssb!, just kidding. All the rest of the warnings you can ignore-- they don't mean anything. It looks like you have a working interface. Can you temporarily remove encryption just to make sure you can connect? I never did get tkip/aes working as a combination, but I did get Wpa2 with aes (only) working quite well. Congratulations, you are about there. The Dell_laptop module shows up in the modules shown, but if it doesn't matter, don't worry. I did notice that the original post shows a dash rather than an underscore after the word Dell (that is the way I copied from the original). If it still doesn't connect try removing Dell_laptop rather than Dell-laptop, but if it works don't mess with it. You could remove the windows wireless drivers using synaptic by removing ndisgtk, but why bother, just ignore it. Hopefully you are set if not post back.
dear Bkratz,
I am actually illiterate with linux and am very slow with everything else. I have been learning as I go for a few weeks. I really want to use Ubuntu but it may be something more difficult, not having any background in computers. do I need to disconnect the ethernet to get wifi to work? for some reason, it just will not show up. I have been messing around following some advice on other threads but I am afraid it may be too much to ask. my options are A) spend an inhumanly amount of time trying to fix this, B) pay someone to fix this (not really an option) or C) let Bill Gates win. I may need to start over with your advice. If Ayuthia can help, that would be great. I dont have 75 beans so I cant ask him or her. let me reprint the new stuff

roundhead
April 21st, 2010, 08:34 PM
will try later...I can nolonger connect with the laptop using the cable.