PDA

View Full Version : Argh.. debian hates me!

kaldor
April 20th, 2010, 01:57 AM
Many times I have tried to download Debian, but the connection I get to the site is horribly slow. It takes at least 10 minutes to view the FTP server, then when I click on my arch.. another 10+ minutes. When I finally get to download it, it downloads amazingly slow and would take days to finish.

Anybody else have this problem? Always has happened on all my computers.

NightwishFan
April 20th, 2010, 02:06 AM
Try using wget or axel from the command line. Whats a mirror near you?

kaldor
April 20th, 2010, 02:14 AM
http://www.debian.org/CD/torrent-cd/

^Try clicking on i386, it's been saying "Loading..." for 5 minutes so far.

How do I check/change a mirror? And how do I use wget for this, I don't know what directory/file I am looking for =p

swoll1980
April 20th, 2010, 02:16 AM
Use bit torrent. It's always faster, and you can pause, and resume your download as well. I usually get a 1.5 Mb transfer rate on distro downloads,(10 minutes) compared to 6 or 700 kb/sec using the mirrors(25 minutes).

kaldor
April 20th, 2010, 02:19 AM
Use bit torrent. It's always faster, and you can pause, and resume your download as well. I usually get a 1.5 Mb transfer rate on distro downloads,(10 minutes) compared to 6 or 700 kb/sec using the mirrors(25 minutes).

That's what I am trying to do. It's taking ages to download the .torrent that's only like 25kb.

NovaAesa
April 20th, 2010, 02:24 AM
How odd, it took me like 0.2 seconds to download the .torrent file. Hmmm.

kaldor
April 20th, 2010, 02:26 AM
It's still saying "Loading" as we speak!

NightwishFan
April 20th, 2010, 02:33 AM
I got into it just fine. Odd!

Here is Debian torrent file for you.

kaldor
April 20th, 2010, 02:35 AM
awesome, ty :)

NightwishFan
April 20th, 2010, 02:55 AM
I hope it works for you, good luck :)

kaldor
April 20th, 2010, 02:56 AM
i hope it works for you, good luck :)

90% :)

cariboo
April 20th, 2010, 03:18 AM
I downloaded the 32-bit ppc netinstall iso from the U of Calgary this morning, it only took a couple of minutes. I installed it on my B&W G3 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Macintosh_G3_(Blue_&_White)) and it is happily playing mp3's streamed from my server.

kaldor
April 20th, 2010, 03:23 AM
I'm trying out Stable because I need a stable OS for a work PC I'll have for the next year from school. They tried to make me use Windows XP with spy software in it to monitor me, but I quickly removed Windows and put Fedora on it.

I hope it won't cause trouble, cause this comp they sent me was a beast; I wasn't going to let it go to waste due to being unable to even control my own documents Everything was locked up, had to store everything on Desktop and the PC took 10 minutes to boot up. On top of that, I had to spend about 5 minutes every day re-downloading the online classroom application because it was "unsafe" to have it installed. Been using Fedora on it since November, but due to a recent problem I need better stability. All files are safe though :)

themarker0
April 20th, 2010, 03:41 AM
Debian hates everyone, don't feel speeeshal :P /joking of course.

Just torrent it, the only decent way i've found.

kaldor
April 20th, 2010, 03:43 AM
Just my luck! I used my last CD (no stores in the area to buy them) on Debian and it won't get past the keymap select..

"Problem reading data from CD-Rom"
"Failed to copy file from CD-ROM, Retry?"

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=132065

Same problem as that

NightwishFan
April 20th, 2010, 04:29 AM
You need to burn at a slower speed and verify data, this is a must.

kaldor
April 20th, 2010, 04:55 AM
You need to burn at a slower speed and verify data, this is a must.

Is 4x not slow enough? :(

I did verify it; not a clue what went wrong. Brasero must like making coasters.

NightwishFan
April 20th, 2010, 05:02 AM
I see, not sure what happened then. Next time you get a try use the command version as an option as well.

wodim speed=1 /path/to/debian.iso

powder
April 20th, 2010, 05:07 AM
I found this command on the sidux wiki and it has worked very well for me.

wodim dev=/dev/scd0 driveropts=burnfree,noforcespeed fs=14M speed=8 -dao -eject -overburn -v something.iso