PDA

View Full Version : Survey about Facebook

The WHAM Burglar
April 20th, 2010, 12:21 AM
Hello fellow members of the forums,

If I may ask, you kindly take my survey. It has been hosted online for your ease of use and is rather self explanatory. It is part of my academic research that aims to determine why people use Facebook. I have gone to lengths to ensure your privacy.
All those who participate have my sincere thanks.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/2B5R2L9

Crunchy the Headcrab
April 20th, 2010, 01:11 AM
Done. You're welcome.

:guitar:

lovinglinux
April 20th, 2010, 01:13 AM
I tried to take it, but there aren't many options for those who don't use any of these social network services. Perhaps you are only interested on those who like this stuff.

Facebook, Myspace....no thanks. My privacy is invaluable. I did use Orkut once, but got tons of spam with silly jokes and malware. So I deleted the account and never looked back.

The only service I use is Twitter, just to post short messages about my software releases. Nothing else.

SilverDragon
April 20th, 2010, 02:27 AM
Well that was fun.

Is there any reason the online friend count is so low? I have never met anyone with fewer than 30 friends. Even the adults I know who barely use Facebook have at least 30 friends. This is just my experience though but I feel as though it might help you to expand that a little.

MattTastic
April 20th, 2010, 02:32 AM
Interesting survey, I'd agree on the friends count thing, I have a very low number of friends myself, but the average I've seen in my social circle on those sites is more like 100 - 200 kind of way.

Chronon
April 20th, 2010, 02:42 AM
I agree that the options seem too limited. I do use Facebook but I spend much less than an hour every day on it. I tend to check it a couple of times a week to respond to messages, which usually doesn't take very long.

tica vun
April 20th, 2010, 02:59 AM
These kind of surveys always, invariably forget to include an "I do not use antisocial networking" option. My social network doesn't require a website that robs you of your privacy. It's called the real life, you should try it.

Lightstar
April 20th, 2010, 03:08 AM
took the survey.

Can I have a cookie?

wilee-nilee
April 20th, 2010, 03:12 AM
Interesting example of no demographics consideration, very biased, and hegemonic in nature.

jaco223
April 20th, 2010, 03:32 AM
I'm antisocial, sorry.

DeadSuperHero
April 20th, 2010, 04:00 AM
They need to make an Anti-Social Social Network.

swoll1980
April 20th, 2010, 04:09 AM
The options for time a day are horrible. 1-2 hours was the least amount you could choose. I spend about 20 minutes a month on Facebook.

lovinglinux
April 20th, 2010, 04:10 AM

:lolflag:

I'm in.

swoll1980
April 20th, 2010, 04:11 AM

Ubuntu Forums?

Crunchy the Headcrab
April 21st, 2010, 08:20 AM
My social network doesn't require a website that robs you of your privacy. It's called the real life, you should try it.
Way to act macho. There is nothing unrealistic about facebook. The only thing that would make it unrealistic is people pretending to be who they're not, but you could do the same thing on the Ubuntu Forums for example ;)

xpod
April 21st, 2010, 08:52 AM
I managed to avoid Facebook for my first couple of years online but many of our family & friends back home in Scotland use the place so i eventually succumbed myself. It`s the easiest & indeed cheapest way to keep in touch with them all. Our older kids use the place too so i do like to be just a wee bit nosey at times.
I`m actually back in touch with family i hadn`t even seen for years while i was still living in Edinburgh.

chrisxuk
April 21st, 2010, 10:36 AM
Just done it for you.

If i'm honest, i'm getting pretty fed up with Facebook. Twitter is where it's at!

madnessjack
April 21st, 2010, 12:46 PM
:lolflag:

I'm in.
You mean you're in one now :P

fatality_uk
April 21st, 2010, 12:52 PM

Genius!!! Count me in as well.

sanderella
April 21st, 2010, 01:05 PM
Done, but no options for 'both' in the friends talking question.

charlesying
April 21st, 2010, 01:09 PM
One of The main purpose that facebook serve is that it is one of assured ways of getting traffic to a website.

forrestcupp
April 21st, 2010, 02:12 PM
I agree that the options seem too limited. I do use Facebook but I spend much less than an hour every day on it. I tend to check it a couple of times a week to respond to messages, which usually doesn't take very long.

+1

Question 6 needed to have a 0-1 hour choice.

You also need some kind of question for people who are sorry they signed up but they keep it just so old friends can have a way to find them.

KrisInfinity
April 21st, 2010, 02:21 PM
Took the survey.

I actually submitted the "delete my facebook account" request a couple of days ago. 14 days before it's deleted. Trying to resist the urge to login again - Not.

I'm glad I'm out of the circle.

qamelian
April 21st, 2010, 03:18 PM
These kind of surveys always, invariably forget to include an "I do not use antisocial networking" option. My social network doesn't require a website that robs you of your privacy. It's called the real life, you should try it.
That's a pretty offensive attitude. In "real life", I have many good friends with whom I would not be able to easily stay in touch with out social networking. Not everyone lives in proximity, nor do we all have lifestyles that allow us the time to interact with friends and family to the degree others do. Social networking sites can help bridge the gaps.

Khakilang
April 21st, 2010, 03:28 PM
Done it.

immoweichert
April 21st, 2010, 03:48 PM
Done, though I do have some doubts regarding your questionnaire. Starting with the age brackets ... one for everybody under 18, and one for anybody over 27. Given the diversity of these groups you cannot really get any age spec. data. You might also need deeper info into which site people are using and why (which I understand is the reason for your survey). I for example couldn't really find a suitable answer. I'm on facebook to keep in touch with the extended family which is scattered in different time zones around the globe. What are online and what are offline friends ? Some people only allow facebook contacts to people they really do know in person as friends, some would add anybody, just to have a huge number of acquaintances online. I could go on and on and on ....

BTW, just found the same thread on the LinuxMint forum.