PDA

View Full Version : what is with intel naming all their processors i3, i5

mamamia88
April 20th, 2010, 12:11 AM
aren't they both dual core processors? why go through all the trouble of renaming them why not just continue to call them c2d and say they upped the specs on existing dual core line?

kernelhaxor
April 20th, 2010, 12:26 AM
there are a lot of differences between the new generation (i3, i5,..) and c2d: they use different sockets, whole new design and architecture ..

also calling them "a new generation" will help marketing sell more ..

I think its a combination of business and technological reasons.

Crunchy the Headcrab
April 20th, 2010, 01:07 AM
Because they're trying to get sued by Apple. Seriously :)

themarker0
April 20th, 2010, 01:17 AM
No idea. I also prefer Pentium. Celeron. Xeon. etc

lisati
April 20th, 2010, 01:18 AM
iDoNotHaveAnAnswer :)

Cam42
April 20th, 2010, 01:21 AM
You can get a quad i5

They're much more advanced than C2D

tgalati4
April 20th, 2010, 03:06 AM
It's related to Intel's self-rating: The Star System.

i3 gets 3 stars
i5 gets 5 stars
i7 gets 7 stars

Oh wait, they use 4 stars for the i5 and 5 stars for the i7.

So now I'm completely confused.

I wouldn't want a 3-star computer.

Would you?

Better shell out the extra money to get the 5-star system.

stmiller
April 20th, 2010, 04:04 AM
Umm... because they are different?

They have no more front side bus and other big changes. Hyper-threading, quad core, (i7 looks like 8 cores to the OS) more efficient, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core#Nehalem_microarchitecture_based

sandyd
April 20th, 2010, 05:30 AM
my workstation can still beat the benchmark of a core i7 lol.(one of my coworkers at work had one). Ive removed one of the xenon quads (there are 4 slots) because its been having some cooling systems. its likely going to stay with 2 quads until the new cooling fans and stuff come in.... but I guess that wasnt a fair benchmark because there were 8 cores only due to HT, and I had 8 real cores....

oobuntoo
April 20th, 2010, 10:17 AM
Product naming is purely marketing. Intel see how successful Apple products with names starting with "i" have done and just want to cash in. Intel's name does begin with "I", so they do have an excuse for using the letter. Apple, on the other, just blindfolded Steve Jobs and had him picked a letter, which happened to be "i".:lol:

oobuntoo
April 20th, 2010, 10:26 AM
my workstation can still beat the benchmark of a core i7 lol.(one of my coworkers at work had one). Ive removed one of the xenon quads (there are 4 slots) because its been having some cooling systems. its likely going to stay with 2 quads until the new cooling fans and stuff come in.... but I guess that wasnt a fair benchmark because there were 8 cores only due to HT, and I had 8 real cores....

Carlee, you're such a showoff :rolleyes:
I kid, I kid. I'm just jealous I don't have xenon quads :evil:

3rdalbum
April 20th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Er... because they're not Core 2s, maybe?!

Try jamming an i3/i5/i7 into your LGA775-based motherboard some time if you don't believe me.

CharlesA
April 20th, 2010, 01:31 PM
New product, new name.

Giant Speck
April 20th, 2010, 01:32 PM
iDoNotHaveAnAnswer :)

Perhaps droidDoes?

fatality_uk
April 20th, 2010, 01:43 PM
i still don't see what's wrong with valves?

sandyd
April 20th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Carlee, you're such a showoff :rolleyes:
I kid, I kid. I'm just jealous I don't have xenon quads :evil:

Its a server that I got from a company I used to work for. There was a burnt out SATA connector, so I just bought one on ebay... sometimes I wonder why companies waste so much...

CharlesA
April 20th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Its a server that I got from a company I used to work for. There was a burnt out SATA connector, so I just bought one on ebay... sometimes I wonder why companies waste so much...

Server for a workstation? Must be a bit noisy. :lolflag:

sandyd
April 20th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Server for a workstation? Must be a bit noisy. :lolflag:

im used to the humming :D . besides, the system can shut off the processors, so unless im doing something processor intensive, the second processor doent tirn on. and the RAID array is in the other room, so im fine. In fact, I couldn't sleep w/o the humming.....

CharlesA
April 20th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Nice. At least it isn't overly loud. :D

toupeiro
April 20th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Intel has always been kind of weak at naming their product lines.

The whole Pentium 2, 3, and 4 had to die because technically the Pentium 1st generation was also called a P5, a transitional name from the 80#86 naming convention.

As mentioned, it made very little sense to promote the Core2 names. Core2Quad was just lame.

@Carlee. I'd agree with you about not being fair. I'm not sure I'd call a 2-way Xeon quad core system out-benching a single-socket non-Xeon i7 "beating it". :)

At work, I've put an HP BL460C G5 (with two top-end quad-core Xeon chips) and an HP WS460C G6 (with 2 Nehalem/i7 Xeon class chips) head to head and the the performance factor of one generation of change is more than 4 times as fast. The Core i7 and nehalem architecture was one of the most significant changes in processor technology that's come about in quite a long time.

... It's also pretty damn cool to cat /proc/cpuinfo and see 16 registered cores in a blade server. :guitar:

forrestcupp
April 20th, 2010, 06:44 PM
also calling them "a new generation" will help marketing sell more ..

+1

If I have a 1.83 GHz Core2Duo, I'm not likely to think I need to upgrade to something called a 3.2 GHZ Core2Duo because a little bandwidth increase isn't worth the upgrade. But if they call it a 3.2 GHZ i5, I really feel like I need to upgrade because now I perceive that C2D's are obsolete, and I can't have an obsolete computer. ;)

I don't buy the technical differences theory. If you look at the Pentium line, there were a lot of different socket types and many big technical differences, but they still called them all Pentiums. It's all about marketing.

CharlesA
April 20th, 2010, 07:14 PM
I like my little obsolete C2D computer, tyvm!

forrestcupp
April 20th, 2010, 08:25 PM
I like my little obsolete C2D computer, tyvm!

Hey, I don't have anything against them. I actually do have a 1.83 GHz C2D that I'm very happy with (it's my main computer).

It's just the marketing mentality that people are going to want the latest and greatest.

CharlesA
April 20th, 2010, 08:37 PM
It's just the marketing mentality that people are going to want the latest and greatest.

Indeed. Isn't marketing wonderful!

My main desktop is a 3.16GHz C2D that handles pretty much everything I can throw at it.

beetleman64
April 20th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Why were the previous generation called Core 2 Duo, why was there a succession of Pentium Processors? It probably falls between a marketing exercise (the next, super-new processors which you must have to keep the earth spinning) and the fact that this "generation" is substantially different from previous ones.

NightwishFan
April 20th, 2010, 10:51 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/profile.php?do=editavatar

Or just go to system control panel. To post something relevant, I see no reason to upgrade yet other than hyperthreading.

forrestcupp
April 20th, 2010, 10:53 PM
How do you change your avatar? :confused:

You should post things like that in the Forum Feedback & Help section.