PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Mac style bottom panel?

rob22941
April 19th, 2010, 11:57 PM
I've noticed on some screenshots that some people have a mac style bottom panel. I was wondering how one goes about configuring such a setup. Thanks much!

cph05a
April 20th, 2010, 12:34 AM
Have a look a cairo-dock.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CairoDock

His
April 20th, 2010, 01:21 AM
There are a few that do it. cairo-dock is the most comprehensive and the all around best. There is also gnome-do, docky, and awn. Awn is probably the second best, at least in my book.

You should probably mess around with them to figure out which works for you. cairo-dock is probably the most resource intensive, but I don't have what I would consider a powerfull machine and it ran fine on it.

Boondoklife
April 20th, 2010, 02:25 AM
+1 for docky here

rob22941
April 20th, 2010, 02:26 AM
Got it up and running thanks guys!

infamous-online
April 20th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Not to sound ignorant here, but I never messed with my gnome interface before, so does any of these packages intergrate with gnome or no? Secondly, is it hard to get this to work?

rob22941
April 20th, 2010, 07:02 PM
To your second question it took me all of 15 minutes to get it up and running with the information they guys posted above.

Boondoklife
April 20th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Not to sound ignorant here, but I never messed with my gnome interface before, so does any of these packages intergrate with gnome or no? Secondly, is it hard to get this to work?

They work very well with gnome, and are one click installs. I use docky and from what I understand it and the others require you to have compositing enabled. Ubuntu handles this by just enabling visual effects under the appearance properties.

binamenator
May 9th, 2010, 09:11 AM
Have a look a cairo-dock.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CairoDock

um does this work with 10.04 Ubuntu?:confused:

infamous-online
May 9th, 2010, 10:38 AM
They work very well with gnome, and are one click installs. I use docky and from what I understand it and the others require you to have compositing enabled. Ubuntu handles this by just enabling visual effects under the appearance properties.

Thanks, sorry for the late response, I'll try this out later on whenever I have some free time.