PDA

View Full Version : Celebrating myself :P

towsonu2003
March 17th, 2006, 07:52 AM
Just to celebrate my 1000+20th or so post. wow... a year ago, I paid norton's anti virus update service (~$30)... [-( eight months ago I was trying to figure out how slackware works... :confused: six months ago, I was trying to figure out how to run scanmodem (took me a month)... :( now just \\:D/ four months from now, I'll be booting Windows (Games) + Ubuntu (Dapper) + Debian (stable) + Gentoo (compile) + Slackware (configure) + Suse (?)... :D and buying new eyeglasses... :cool: my girlfriend suggested that I should write my dissertation on Linux (&social issues).

edit: and I still didn't learn that I should post this to "Testimonials"... hmmm...

PS. Special thanks to linmodems.org (no modem = no linux), Slackware (first ever distro), and Ubuntu (only distro where my modem works = yes linux).

aysiu
March 17th, 2006, 07:55 AM
Congratulations!

Two years ago, I'd never even touched a Linux distro and knew very little about Linux.

A year and a half ago, I was disillusioned with Linux after trying out an old version of Blag on a Dell Inspiron.

Last year, I was just on the verge of getting bored of Windows.

Eleven months ago I started with Mepis.

Ten months ago, I started with Ubuntu, and I've kept on going with it ever since!

Christopher
March 17th, 2006, 08:30 AM
Well I hope I can come along in Linux as fast as you guys have. :D

GreyFox503
March 17th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Time flies when you're having fun. :)

It's crazy how long I've actually been using Linux. It feels like I just started, but I've been using it for 8-9 months now.

Last summer, I 'submerged' for about 2 weeks where my brain (and poor computer!) just about exploded from all the new info I was taking in.

bonzodog
March 17th, 2006, 12:11 PM
heh...May this year marks the 10th anniversary of my introduction to linux. Yes, I started on linux in 96, and installed it as my SOLE home OS in 1999.

xmastree
March 17th, 2006, 03:01 PM
I started with mdk8, and dial up (with an external modem). Then I tried mdk9 and had all kinds of problems so I let it slide.
Then I received some shipit discs out of the blue (check my first post (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=32701) here...) and now I'm back. :cool:

The first time I ever tried linux was a disaster. It came on a magazine cover CD, but wasn't bootable. That was before IDE CDs were around. There were four bootable floppy images, for different CDs, none of which worked with my Orchid so that was that. :-(

towsonu2003
March 18th, 2006, 01:51 AM
Well I hope I can come along in Linux as fast as you guys have. :D
Once you start getting used to it, time passs like a nicely configured linux computer (too geeky??)

WildTangent
March 18th, 2006, 03:02 AM
Well, I joined the forums April last year, and I had been using Ubuntu for about a month before that, it was my first distro. I started using Warty about the same time Hoary was released and hadn't realized it. My first few months of linux use were rocky, I didn't get to use it much as I had wanted to as I had it dual-booted on my parents computer, but this did prove very useful when my parent's Windows installation went bye-bye. :D

Soon after originally installing it on my parent's computer, I started aquiring old PC components and built myself a couple computers. I've always had one dedicated Windows box, and another computer with linux of some flavour on it. The flavours have been many in the last year, but Ubuntu is the only one that feels familiar, and I've been using it 100% for a few months running now.

I tried FreeBSD last month and have been loving it ever since, but I still use Ubuntu most of the time. FreeBSD is more of a hobby.

I look forward to my 500th post here :) and then the 1000th :D Too bad I mostly flood the Community Chat :P

-Wild

Zeroangel
March 18th, 2006, 03:04 AM
Congrats! :KS

psychicdragon
March 18th, 2006, 03:33 AM
I just realised I've been a member of these forums for a full year now. TIme flies I guess. :rolleyes:

I first installed Ubuntu in December 2004 because I was at my parents place for Christmas and I had nothing to do. It was the latest "it" distro so I thought I'd give it a try. Over a year later and it's still the most talked about distro.

towsonu2003
March 18th, 2006, 03:39 AM
It was the latest "it" distro so I thought I'd give it a try.
same here...

Christopher
March 18th, 2006, 05:14 AM
Once you start getting used to it, time passs like a nicely configured linux computer (too geeky??)

I love these forums, I've been reading for 3 days now..LOL. I love finding out NEW things to do with Linux! :-D