PDA

View Full Version : does full screen hulu work for you ?(is it a linux thing or my computer?)

djmh
April 19th, 2010, 01:46 PM
full screen hulu on an external monitor is generally pretty laggy. (it works decently well on the same connection on my friends windows computer full screen)

I dont really have very fast internet, 300 meg maybe faster.
And I only have a netbook, a dell mini 9.

so im just trying to determine whether or not it will make a difference if i get a better computer, or if its just a linux thing.... or my internet ?

or maybe a combination of each ?

thanks !

sdowney717
April 19th, 2010, 02:48 PM
My nvidia 8400GS works well with full screen hulu.
This is a 3.4 ghz intel core2duo with asus motherboard
I am using the Nvidia drivers.
When the drivers are not working right, I get lousy full screen video

I have an older PC with a 6000 series nvidia card, same drivers and lousy full screen hulu.
But, that computer plays full screen VLC dvd and divx xvid type movies fine.

LowSky
April 19th, 2010, 02:49 PM
It your Dell Mini 9 that is the problem. The Intel chipset it uses doesn't handle fullscreen Flash very well.

A better laptop with an Nvidia or ATI chipset will play fulscreen flash much better.

I will admit flash isn't perfect on Linux as it is in Windows, but it works good enough in most cases. Of course we should never settle.

sdowney717
April 19th, 2010, 02:52 PM
considering the poor state of linux flash support, you have to brute force this issue with very good fast hardware running the best drivers you can get to get good full screen flash video

laceration
April 19th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Hulu by design has a low framerate, so any bottleneck exposes how crappy it really is. Not only that but it uses sucky, cpu intensive Flash. Hulu, and just about all other streaming web video is only suitable for a good connec, good hardware and a small screen. Even then it is mediocre at best, I don't know why people are so enamored with it. If people stopped and thought about all the little glitches they withstand, they would come to realize there are better ways to watch video -- dvb devices and bittorrent.

LowSky
April 19th, 2010, 05:12 PM
If people stopped and thought about all the little glitches they withstand, they would come to realize there are better ways to watch video -- dvb devices and bittorrent.

Hulu allows people who know little about computers and other technology to watch the shows they missed. Also Hulu is free, while buying a DVR or Tuner card can cost money they dont have. Lastly downloading TV and movies is illegal in America and people like to be on the good side of the law, not to mention fining the torrents can be annoying and sometimes the wrong file misslabeled. Hulu accomplishes what people want with few issues.

I use Hulu all the time. Yes I have a HTPC but it only get local broadcast channels because my cable company doesn't use QAM on any other channels. I could get a DVR from them but they cost me another $15 in monthly charges. So I use Hulu.

gordintoronto
April 19th, 2010, 10:13 PM
I am in Canada, so I can't use Hulu. However, the local networks offer past episodes online in Flash format, and I can watch them full-screen just fine. My Internet connection is 5 MB, and my CPU is a dual-core 3.2 GHz unit.

crush304
April 20th, 2010, 12:48 AM
try setting you 2nd display at 640x480, hulu doesn't stream in hd anyway, no need to make your graphics card do extra work. Also, i've had better luck with hulu desktop (available for linux) than through hulu in the browser

Crunchy the Headcrab
April 20th, 2010, 01:05 AM
try setting you 2nd display at 640x480, hulu doesn't stream in hd anyway, no need to make your graphics card do extra work. Also, i've had better luck with hulu desktop (available for linux) than through hulu in the browser

Ever had the experience of hulu desktop starting to load a video but loading bar just keeps going back to zero? It goes about a third of the way and then goes back to zero every second or so. Then I get an error saying that the video couldn't be streamed at this time (paraphrased). It worked a couple of days ago and I don't know whether it was an update to Lucid Lynx that broke it or if this is a re-occuring problem (as my searches on the web would lead me to believe).