PDA

View Full Version : Website/gallery for artwork

descendent87
April 18th, 2010, 11:49 PM
My mum's asked me to set her up a website/gallery for her artwork as people have been asking lately if she has a site.
Problem is I'm not sure of any good sites for that type of thing. What I'm looking for is a site where I can make a gallery (or a couple for the different things she does) and then a page about her/her work and contact info.
It doesn't matter if it's a bit tricky to setup as I'll be doing that for her but it needs to be easy to add/remove pictures as she'll need to be able to do that herself as I don't live close.
Thanks

undecim
April 18th, 2010, 11:54 PM
I assume you could make a gallery on a site like flickr or photobucket (i've never used either though)

You could also get a web hosting account with PHP and MySQL and set up Joomla with an image gallery plugin. That would seem the most professional. Go with a minimalistic, but stylish template and put contact info, etc.

ctrlmd
April 18th, 2010, 11:59 PM
Try deviantart.com

koshatnik
April 19th, 2010, 12:04 AM
I use Zenfolio.

descendent87
April 19th, 2010, 12:55 AM
Thanks will have a look for a free web host for joomla, zenfolio looks good but isn't free.
Completely forgot about deviant art aswell, thanks I will show her all the sites and see what she goes for

NightwishFan
April 19th, 2010, 02:28 AM
If you want to make a nice looking web gallery for offline use, just import all the photos into f-spot, and export as "Folder". This will not help unless you want to host the code yourself though.

Chromagnum
April 19th, 2010, 04:02 AM
If you want to make a nice looking web gallery for offline use, just import all the photos into f-spot, and export as "Folder". This will not help unless you want to host the code yourself though.

Oh, wow, that's cool. I never knew about F-Spot, thanks!

Regards
Eric W.

Khakilang
April 19th, 2010, 04:07 AM
Check out Google Picasa Web Album. I put most of my photos in there and i can share it with other people by copy and paste the link.

themarker0
April 19th, 2010, 04:23 AM
Most CMS's have the ability to do that, with addons. I've used this http://www.phpalbum.net/ and http://coppermine-gallery.net/ . I do prefer coppermine, but it is bulky. Is she using a CMS or anything now?

bigsmitty64
April 19th, 2010, 05:56 AM
"My mum's asked me to set her up a website/gallery for her artwork"

Hands down....DeviantArt.com is the best place.

descendent87
April 19th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Thanks for all the replies, had a look at all the suggested sites and I think deviant art is gonna be the easiest for her to use. Also a lot less hassle for me to setup for her:lolflag:

Tristam Green
April 19th, 2010, 03:22 PM
just be sure you set the mature content filter to "on". parents are usually weird about anatomy in art, for some reason.