PDA

View Full Version : Free Flash Drive Project

TriBlox6432
April 18th, 2010, 10:45 PM
Hello all, I have decided to start handing out Flash Drives to random strangers that has the Portable Apps Suite loaded on to it, and a note about Ubuntu. I thought this would be a great way to get others interested in Ubuntu! The 1GB flash drives are really inexpensive and even cheaper if you buy them in bulk. I've loaded certain portable software on it and left the following text document on it:

Dear Human Being whos hands this flash drive has landed in,

On here, you will find some pre-loaded software for your entertainment. Mozilla Firefox, the award winning web browser. Mozilla Thunderbird, the award winning email client. Skype, Chat client. Foxit, a lightweight PDF reader. Open Office, an office productivity suite. InfraRecorder, CD and DVD burning software. VLC, an Award Winning media player. Blender, Inkscape, and GIMP, all graphics editing programs.

But this flash drive has much more significance to me. On my laptop, and my home PCs I have officially given up on Microsoft. This may comes as a shock, but Microsoft is worthless. You are probably using Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 on your computer right now. There is no point to it. It is a computer operating system. I am here to spread the good news that there is an alternative. You pay several hundred dollars to Microsoft for your Windows operating system and Microsoft Office. You could have saved every single penny. There are alternatives, that work much better than Microsoft. Personally, I run something called Ubuntu (oo-Boon-too) Ubuntu is a free operating system brought to us by the company Canonical ltd. Ubuntu comes pre-loaded with tons of software for whatever the day throws at you. It includes the award winning Firefox web browser, Evolution email client, GIMP image manipulater, Open Office productivity suite, and multitudes more. There is a vast library of FREE software located in the Ubuntu Software Centre. And best of all, Ubuntu is free. That's right, you can download it and install it on as many computers as you want for FREE. No license codes, nothing. A new version of Ubuntu is released every 6 months, and security updates are provided for 18 months. On the bottom of this document, I have linked you to many websites that can help you out, and answer any questions you may have about Ubuntu. If you have not received an Ubuntu Install CD with this flash drive, it's easy to download Ubuntu and burn your own disc, or you can even use your flash drive instead of a CD. You can also request a free CD shipped to your house (for free) from shipit. I hope you take the time to try Ubuntu, and come to enjoy and one day purge Microsoft from your computers. When you insert the Ubuntu CD (or flash drive) you will have the option to "Try Ubuntu without making any changes to your computer", I recommend click on this option. You can run Ubuntu all you want (it will be really slow since it isn't installed on your computer) and when you restart and remove the CD or Flash Drive, it will be as if nothing happened. Your computer will not be changed in any way. If you wish to actually install it, the helpful people at Ubuntu Forums can walk you through a Dual boot, or a clean install. Please enjoy the preloaded software on this flash drive, and please have a look at Ubuntu! Thank you for your time!

Websites:
http://www.ubuntu.com/
http://ubuntuforums.org/

Also, feel free to email me at: TriBlox6432@gmail.com

Good Wishes,

A kind stranger

Is this a good idea? Have I worded it all in a good way? Do you think it could catch on and other people start doing this?

Jon Monreal
April 20th, 2010, 01:53 AM
While I think that it's great that you're spreading free software for Windows, I think this would be pretty ineffective at spreading Ubuntu, something only a campaign dedicated to spreading Ubuntu could do.

The "Ubuntu is free [as in beer]" argument doesn't work too well since Windows comes free with computers, and many users never upgrade. Instead, it would be better to highlight the advantages of Ubuntu from an average user standpoint.

redbook4574
April 20th, 2010, 10:17 AM
While I think that it's great that you're spreading free software for Windows, I think this would be pretty ineffective at spreading Ubuntu, something only a campaign dedicated to spreading Ubuntu could do.

The "Ubuntu is free [as in beer]" argument doesn't work too well since Windows comes free with computers, and many users never upgrade. Instead, it would be better to highlight the advantages of Ubuntu from an average user standpoint.

I would argue the fact that windows comes free with many computers, I think you will find the price has been rolled into the sale price, I have on several occasions argued that I don't require windows, had the discs removed from the package and got a substantial reduction on the price.

P4man
April 20th, 2010, 10:29 AM
A few random thoughts;

Its hard to read such long paragraphs, split it up :).

The stranger getting your stick doesnt care about software awards. He probably doesnt even care about the list of program names, just describe what they do, not that they won awards.

He doesnt care what you think of windows either, nor what runs on your PC. f you want to convince people to try ubuntu, then use a positive approach, explain how good ubuntu is, what it will do for them (performance, no virusses, easy installation of (free) software, etc), rather than a negative approach flaming windows.

That said, distributing ubuntu on sticks sounds like a good plan. Dont kid yourself though, you'd be lucky 1 out of 4 will even try it. And half those probably wont manage to boot from USB. In that sense, even cheap USB sticks get expensive.

Crunchy the Headcrab
April 20th, 2010, 10:49 AM
If I ever bump into you I'll make sure to take one of your USB sticks home and format it. Free USB stick :)
Seriously though, the MS bashing lost me. People are gonna think you're a loon.

Paddy Landau
April 20th, 2010, 11:14 AM
I agree with many of the comments posted.

Think about the people to whom you hand the USB sticks. Ask yourself: "What is their problem? Am I solving their problem?"

If the people are poor, and the cost of Windows is a real problem, then yes, but you'll need to reword your document to address that. (And please get all your spelling and grammar right before you do so.)

Before you hand out such things, do a survey. Go out onto the streets and ask people questions like:

Do you know what an operating system is? (If not, explain that two popular examples are Windows and Apple Mac.)
What operating system do you use?
Do you feel that your operating system is too expensive, too cheap or about the right price?
Do you find that it does what you need, or does it create too much frustration for you?
What's your biggest gripe with your current operating system?
If I told you that you could get a free replacement, would you care?
What must an operating system have or do for you to consider it?
Did you know that Linux Ubuntu is an operating system that can do everything that Windows and Mac can?
Did you know that Linux is free, support is free, and if you prefer paid support then it's available at very low cost?
Did you know that you can get Linux Ubuntu, right now from me, completely free on a USB stick?

And that you can try it on your computer at home without making any changes to it whatsoever?
And that I'll give you support, totally free, to help you try it out?

I guarantee that if you go through this process, very nearly everyone who takes a USB disk from you will try it out.

Otherwise, you're blowing against the wind.

By the way, be very sure to hand out a paper document with the USB stick that not only gives simple and clear instructions for how to try out Ubuntu on the Live CD, but also says:

Back up your entire computer before you install Ubuntu, because there is a small chance of data loss.
I am not responsible for the safety and integrity of your data; I am doing this only as a public service and not as a commercial enterprise.

Mighty_Joe
April 20th, 2010, 07:20 PM
People have given away Linux LiveCD's for, well, as long as LiveCD's have been around (has it been 10 years now?!?! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knoppix)). I don't know if anyone has been successful "spreading the word" with that method.
Quite frankly, if someone handed me a USB drive or CD on the street, I'd pitch it. Who knows what malware it is infested with. For the sake of every other computer user's data on the planet, I hope everyone else would do the same.

egalvan
April 20th, 2010, 07:35 PM
I think this would be pretty ineffective at spreading Ubuntu, something only a campaign dedicated to spreading Ubuntu could do.

No, even one lonely person can make a difference.

The "Ubuntu is free [as in beer]" argument doesn't work too well since Windows comes free with computers,
and many users never upgrade. Instead, it would be better to highlight the advantages of Ubuntu from an average user standpoint.

Windows is more more "free" (in cost) than any other "free with purchase" item.
The cost is merely hidden in the total.

But that said, i feel that far too many folk emphasize the free ($$) aspect of Linux, and forget the Free (liberty) aspect.
That side definitely needs more attention, because we will lose it otherwise.

See my SigLine

aysiu
April 20th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Given the current sociological circumstances regarding tech use in the general public, I think it's far better to try to get people to use open source Windows and Mac software (OpenOffice, GIMP, Firefox, Thunderbird, VLC, Audacity, FileZilla, CyberDuck).

This has several advantages over a push to Ubuntu or some other Linux distro: Most Windows and Mac users are used to trying out new software. They are not necessarily used to trying out new operating systems. This will ease them into the psychological association of "open source software can be quality software that works for me," making them far more amenable to trying an operating source operating system. Installing and configuring an operating system is not for the faint of heart. It is really a power user activity. Once you get everyone using primarily open source software (or even just standards-supporting or cross-platform closed source software), the transition to a Linux distro later will be that much easier.

You have to crawl before you can walk.

oldsoundguy
April 20th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Windows does not come free with computers. You pay for it .. not monetarily, but with all of the trial ware and crap they add to the install .. trial anti-virus programs being the biggest share. Windows (MS) Office trial programs .. etc. ALL with a clock on them that expire if you fail to pay the extra bucks for them.

Try and buy a computer (in a big box store) with NO operating system and see how much it costs .. virtually the same, as both MS and the chain get PAID to load all that crap on a new computer by the various outfits. That drops the COST of the computer to the dealer, and enables them to sell it as if all of the programs were FREE.

(Best Buy, for instance, CHARGES EXTRA to remove the trial ware to people that have not discovered
http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/features
AND they will NOT remove ANY MS trial ware!)

Back to the OP .. sorry, you are shoveling sand against the tide. The majority of Windows users are like the teabaggers .. totally clueless and "they really don't want to hear any different opinions."
People will only migrate to free programing when they get that clue!

Paddy Landau
April 20th, 2010, 08:28 PM
On similar lines to the OP, you may want to have a look at the interesting PCjacking (http://www.manucornet.net/pcjacking/) site of Manu Cornet.

While it's not something that I recommend you do, it still raises a smile on my lips.

Shakz
April 20th, 2010, 09:21 PM
On similar lines to the OP, you may want to have a look at the interesting PCjacking (http://www.manucornet.net/pcjacking/) site of Manu Cornet.

While it's not something that I recommend you do, it still raises a smile on my lips.

Thats pretty stellar! Something to think about for sure just to get awareness out there. I use nix at work but a lot of folks think windows is the only OS out there...hell most dont know what an OS is.

MCVenom
April 20th, 2010, 09:45 PM
I would get rid of the "purge Microsoft from computers" thing. Realize that many users are perfectly fine with Windows as it is, and don't have any sort of ideology behind computers. In fact, I'd pitch the entire text document for something more modest, like this:

If you like the free software contained on this flash drive, here's some more that might interest you:

-(software name, explanation)

-(software name, eplanation)

-(etc)
-And finally, some of you may be willing to try something new -- there is a wonderful operating system called Ubuntu that can be used as a free alternative for Microsoft Windows. It's fast, stable, and secure -- no more lengthy anti-virus scans. You'll find that many tasks of the day to day tasks you perform on Windows can be done in Ubuntu, and it even comes with the OpenOffice Office Suite included on this flash drive as a fully featured alternative to MS Office (and the well known Firefox as the default web browser). It can be downloaded for free at www.ubuntu.com, or you can even request a professionally created CD be sent to you for free also. But no matter what OS you run, we hope you will consider free and open source software for any and every task you perform with your computer. Thank you.

If you like, you can copy and paste that last part, I don't mind. :D

MCVenom
April 20th, 2010, 09:59 PM
P.S.: I love this idea, you're on the right track -- promoting FOSS software in general will help alot more than just blindly pushing Ubuntu. Let people see what free software can do = more people will be curious about Linux, when they finally hear about it.

Letrazzrot
April 20th, 2010, 11:56 PM
I know what I would have done say, five month ago (before I ever considered installing/using Linux), had I been handed a flash drive with "free stuff" on it from a stranger.

I would not have taken it.

Even knowing what open source is, I would have been highly sceptical of what that drive contained. Malware is the most obvious, but I would also suspect intrusive advertisements or agendas. I recall all of those "free" AOL CDs I used to get that I turned into beer coasters.

I'm not trying to disparage what you are doing, I actually think its a good idea at the root. But honestly, unless someone has already decided or seriously pondered changing their OS, I doubt that many would have the time/trust/determination to bite.

Of course, things would be different if it was someone I knew handing them out. Then I at least know who to blame if my computer catches fire, or auto-dials WOPR and starts WW3 :P

Jon Monreal
April 21st, 2010, 12:15 AM
No, even one lonely person can make a difference.

You misinterpret; I don't necessarily mean a group effort by "campaign". I just mean that if you want to get people to try Ubuntu, not talking to them about it personally (and perhaps not even giving a CD and simply pointing them to the website) is not the way to go IMHO. Sure, seeing quality open source software can show them what open source can do, but changing to an OS that isn't binary compatible with Windows is a big jump. That's what I mean by the campaign having to be dedicated to Ubuntu; a simple "here's some software" won't necessarily help.

Moreover, who reads readme files anyways? I'm sorry, but I doubt most users that get this will pay any attention other than to possibly install the software, so they may never know it's open source (or why open source is good in the first place).

I would get rid of the "purge Microsoft from computers" thing.

Yes, this seems like a really bad idea. People need to know that a Live CD does not get rid of Windows and that Linux can easily be dual-booted alongside Windows (they can do it themselves with Wubi).

pricetech
April 21st, 2010, 12:24 AM
Have fun giving out free thumbdrives.

Seriously, it reminds me of the CDs I burned with Internet Software back when I sold dialup. Lots of them were picked up from various locations but not a single phone call.

A waste of money.

oldsoundguy
April 21st, 2010, 12:33 AM
Remember, no standard mindset Windows user is going to put "free" programs on their computer as they have been told by people they trust (that zit faced kid and the store that sold them their computer) .. that putting on "unknown free programs" is not a good idea as it will crash their computer.

And beside that, no program that is free can be any good, because it is free. Has to be strings attached somewhere!

Dayofswords
April 21st, 2010, 01:07 AM
Have fun giving out free thumbdrives.

Seriously, it reminds me of the CDs I burned with Internet Software back when I sold dialup. Lots of them were picked up from various locations but not a single phone call.

A waste of money.

... you worked for AOL?

but anyways
i dont think giving out flash drives is the way to go (i use portable apps suite which is just great), this is bit on the expensive side

blah
blah
Did you know that Linux is free, support is free, and if you prefer paid support then it's available at very low cost?
blah
blah
i would say "community support is free" since some people don't even have an idea what a forum is...

Jon Monreal
April 21st, 2010, 01:41 AM
i dont think giving out flash drives is the way to go (i use portable apps suite which is just great), this is bit on the expensive side

Agreed. CD media is much cheaper, and could be spread much more widely. For much less than the price of one flash drive, you can give out a PortableApps CD and a Ubuntu Live CD.

I think the more practical application of a few flash drives would be persistent Live USB installations that could give users an OS that is both live and could be used on-the-go. This is something that Windows users might find useful and not even know is possible, and if they use the Live USB enough they might be inclined to install it eventually.

pricetech
April 22nd, 2010, 06:41 PM
... you worked for AOL?

<outrage>
OH 4377 NO !!!!!

Can't let an insult like that go unchecked.
</outrage>