PDA

View Full Version : Volcanic ash

cguy
April 18th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Can you see the Icelandic volcanic ash from where you live?
How obvious is it?
Could you please post pics if there's anything to see?

thanks! :)

(I wish I were closer to it)

NovaAesa
April 18th, 2010, 09:06 PM
I live quite literally on the other side of the world.

lisati
April 18th, 2010, 09:08 PM
I live quite literally on the other side of the world.

Me too. About the nearest I can manage to volcanic ash here is the contents of an ashtray (filthy habit, my doctor gives thinks I should stop smoking)

I'm not sure if I'd want to be close enough to see the volcanic ash - after the initial novelty wears off, I'd probably get bored or annoyed with it pretty quick.

mick222
April 18th, 2010, 09:12 PM
I live in Scotland and can't see anything I think it is to high and has dissipated a lot by the time it reaches here. There was some reports of it reaching ground level but even they said it would be hard to see, maybe a light covering of dust on cars.

skymera
April 18th, 2010, 09:12 PM
I have clear skies.

And that means free from clouds, the odd balloon and all planes which is a rare sight.

madnessjack
April 18th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Live in the Midlands, England; spookiest thing is clear skies and lack of aeroplanes. The horizon looks less blue and more grey, but i'm not sure if that's just my bad eye-sight.

But clear skies - in Britain! :P

dragos240
April 18th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Would I be able to see it in new england?

tadcan
April 18th, 2010, 10:23 PM
check this BBC article (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8628323.stm) for a picture of the airspace affected. I'm in Ireland, but there is no sign of the ash. Its at the levels where planes fly, so beyond human sight.

The Real Dave
April 18th, 2010, 10:32 PM
Where I live in Ireland, down the south, there wasn't any dust on cars or anything, but we did have quite a few really red sunsets, and the moon was red for a night or two. Quite a nice site, and gave a strange atmosphere.

AlanR8
April 18th, 2010, 10:35 PM
I live in Lancashire (UK) and can't see a thing in the sky. Looks about as blue as normal but it's strange to look up and see no con-trails!

Up until a week ago I was flying between Manchester and Exeter every week but due to my schedule, I have the pleasure (?) of working in Milton Keynes for the next two weeks so I drive.

What worries me is the possible long term effects of this volcano in Iceland. Nature does not work by modern human schedules and could grumble on for years!

What effect will that have on the economy of the World?

How will you react when you go to the super market and find the shelves empty?

Was watching the Chinese Grand Prix earlier today, GREAT result by the way, Jensen showing he was a deserving Champion last year, and they were saying the whole GP circus needs six jumbo jets to transport their kit plus there's sea travel as well.

They were all wondering how they'd get home! The next GP is in Spain in three weeks time so hopefully things will have worked out by then.

Kai69
April 19th, 2010, 12:19 AM
I live in the Midlands we've had blue skies but the cars are getting a redish brown dust film on them I washed my car on Thursday and the dust was on it again on Friday

tom66
April 19th, 2010, 12:21 AM
Can't see any dust here (Hampshire, UK). A red sunset was welcome yesterday.

bruce89
April 19th, 2010, 12:28 AM
It is invisible, the density is utterly tiny. It's only when the sun or moon is low down that you can see the effect on them.