PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Can't boot to istallation disk

Sailorrabbit
April 18th, 2010, 07:22 PM
I'm trying to install Ubuntu 9.10 on a Dell Dimension 2400 Series, 2.60 Ghz, BIOS A05, 1024 MB DDR SDRAM. Its a surplus computer from work and the hard drive has been wiped clean. It won't boot to a Ubuntu ISO CD (I've tried several). I've checked the BIOS to assure that it is set to boot from the CD drive, but still no luck. I've been able to boot to a Windows repair CD, so the CD drive seems to work.

I'm out of ideas. Any suggestions?

oldfred
April 18th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Some windows software will just copy an ISO to a CD not install it. It then just has a copy of the ISO not a bootable installable disk. Is the disk correctly installed? Have you tried it on another computer?

garvinrick4
April 18th, 2010, 07:59 PM
I'm trying to install Ubuntu 9.10 on a Dell Dimension 2400 Series, 2.60 Ghz, BIOS A05, 1024 MB DDR SDRAM. Its a surplus computer from work and the hard drive has been wiped clean. It won't boot to a Ubuntu ISO CD (I've tried several). I've checked the BIOS to assure that it is set to boot from the CD drive, but still no luck. I've been able to boot to a Windows repair CD, so the CD drive seems to work.

I'm out of ideas. Any suggestions?
Make sure you BURNED your .iso image to a CD and not at 24x but at a nice slow speed
and should have know problem. Your cd player does not know if it is Windows or Ubuntu you are booting off of the CD. But aqain will not boot off of one that is just copied and not Burned.

Sailorrabbit
April 18th, 2010, 11:02 PM
Oldfred, you gave me the clue I needed to solve my problem. I burned an image to the CD, and it works fine. Thanks.!