PDA

View Full Version : How do you store your DVD's

yester64
April 18th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Hi,
i read that you save your dvd's by storing them in sleeves rather than cases, like they come when you buy them.
Did anyone store their dvd's like this or do you just store them in the case?
Because i am thinking to store them in sleeves. Its also a spacesaver.
But whats your opinion on this?

Penguin Guy
April 18th, 2010, 07:24 PM
However you want.

swoll1980
April 18th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Hi,
i read that you save your dvd's by storing them in sleeves rather than cases, like they come when you buy them.
Did anyone store their dvd's like this or do you just store them in the case?
Because i am thinking to store them in sleeves. Its also a spacesaver.
But whats your opinion on this?

I store all my DVDs/CDs in books I have like 5 100 DVD Books filled up. It would be way to hard and unorganized to store them in there cases.

scouser73
April 18th, 2010, 07:26 PM
I don't have any DVD's, except blank ones.

VeeDubb
April 18th, 2010, 07:27 PM
I store them in proper cases.

When properly inserted in the case, absolutely nothing is in contact with the data area of the disk.

If you use a sleeve, the disk is sliding in and out of a sleeve, with lots of contact to the data area.

It doesn't take special degrees to figure out which one is safer. One little piece of grit makes it's way into a sleeve, and the disc is ruined.

As far as I'm concerned, anybody who says it's safer to store DVD's in sleeves than in proper cases had to have gotten the idea, directly or indirectly, from somebody selling sleeves.

Now, IMO, the very best way to store your DVDs is to rip them, store the movies on your hard drive, and only pull the actual discs out of the case when you want to watch the bonus features.

Paqman
April 18th, 2010, 07:42 PM
I store them in a box in the roof, so that wee people don't trash them. They've all been ripped onto my network.

yester64
April 18th, 2010, 07:57 PM

When properly inserted in the case, absolutely nothing is in contact with the data area of the disk.

If you use a sleeve, the disk is sliding in and out of a sleeve, with lots of contact to the data area.

It doesn't take special degrees to figure out which one is safer. One little piece of grit makes it's way into a sleeve, and the disc is ruined.

As far as I'm concerned, anybody who says it's safer to store DVD's in sleeves than in proper cases had to have gotten the idea, directly or indirectly, from somebody selling sleeves.

Now, IMO, the very best way to store your DVDs is to rip them, store the movies on your hard drive, and only pull the actual discs out of the case when you want to watch the bonus features.

Actually that is what i am doing. All my dvd are also on the harddrive and i watch them via xbox.
But storage is also a concern for me. Thats why sleeves sounds not to bad.

yester64
April 18th, 2010, 08:00 PM
I store all my DVDs/CDs in books I have like 5 100 DVD Books filled up. It would be way to hard and unorganized to store them in there cases.

May i ask what you do with your old cases? Just curious.
My plan was to put them in to a sleeve and put the cover in a storagefolder and essentialy toss away the original case.

standingwave
April 19th, 2010, 02:23 AM
Sleeves. About ten years ago I bought a bunch of boxes and sleeves from Univenture (http://www.univenture.com/shop/storage_box_with_70_archival_pockets_and_cards.php ). They work great, take up little space and when I got burgled several years ago, the thieves overlooked them. But I imagine that eventually they will wind up in the basement next to the crate of LPs.

chris200x9
April 19th, 2010, 04:23 AM
iso

2hot6ft2
April 19th, 2010, 04:32 AM
I RIP mine then put the discs in those leather cd notebooks that hold about 200 per notebook and store them that way. I pack the bulky jewel cases in rubermaid action packer containers.

swoll1980
April 19th, 2010, 04:34 AM
May i ask what you do with your old cases? Just curious.
My plan was to put them in to a sleeve and put the cover in a storagefolder and essentialy toss away the original case.

What's a case? Seriously though I throw them out as soon as I open them. To me the case is just a box that the DVD/CD comes in.

witeshark17
April 19th, 2010, 04:34 AM
I use the really thin CD cases.

Khakilang
April 19th, 2010, 04:40 AM
I store it in a sleeve and put in the folder.

zoomy942
April 19th, 2010, 05:11 PM
I RIP mine then put the discs in those leather cd notebooks that hold about 200 per notebook and store them that way. I pack the bulky jewel cases in rubermaid action packer containers.

i, for the life of me, cant figure out how to rip the dam dvd's. i have tried Acid rip and DVD rip and nada. I am freakin sick of having a bookcase of dvd's on display when I have a 500GB hard drive i would drop them onto but I can't figure it out. Lame.

Any advice?

Directive 4
April 19th, 2010, 05:18 PM
DVDrip,
rocks

i rip all mine onto a 1tb drive, but i still keep the originals in there box,
stacked up but then, space isn't a real problem at my house.

buy most of mine from charity shops thou,

it's a really good way, costs less than a rental and you get to keep the disk.

gnomeuser
April 19th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Music is stored on the computer in FLAC for lossless quality, the cds and covers go in a really nice Fellowes mock leather 224 disc wallet (http://www.amazon.com/Fellowes-Nylon-Wallet-224-Disc-Capacity/dp/B0000326O1) for storage using minimal space. When storing music I put the cover on top and the cd in the bottom sleeves, reducing disc storage to 112.

DVDs I store in two identical Fellowes wallet, I would like to store relevant data losslessly on my machine but I haven't found a good way to do this yet nor made an estimate on what redundant network storage or even cloud storage would cost to implement at keep running for 5-10 years.

Directive 4
April 19th, 2010, 05:23 PM
you could just save them as an iso and view with vlc

LowSky
April 19th, 2010, 05:24 PM
i, for the life of me, cant figure out how to rip the dam dvd's. i have tried Acid rip and DVD rip and nada. I am freakin sick of having a bookcase of dvd's on display when I have a 500GB hard drive i would drop them onto but I can't figure it out. Lame.

Any advice?
Handbrake (not in the repos)is the best application I have found for Ubuntu, followed by Acidrip.

Also some DVD's are harder to rip due to encryption techniques. Good Luck

CharlesA
April 19th, 2010, 05:27 PM
I store them in the cases in a cabinet and on my media server.

blur xc
April 19th, 2010, 05:28 PM

+1 to that. We tried the sleeve thing several years ago. We ended up with a bunch of useless scratched disks. DVD's seem to me more sensitive to scratches and skipping than audio CD's... So, we dug out all the old cases, at leas the ones we could find and stuck them back in there.

I'm tyring to train my family (mostly the kids) that when a dvd comes out of the player it goes RIGHT BACK IN THE CASE! Even before the new disk goes in the DVD player. And hte case sits on top of the dvd player while you watch your show. There's no excuse for lost cases or disks in the wrong case... ever! 40 - 1 lashes!!!! J/k on that last part though- but loose disks (wii included) is a real pet pieve of mine...

BM

gnomeuser
April 19th, 2010, 05:37 PM
you could just save them as an iso and view with vlc

That would work, but I was hoping for a way to get a contained format where I could rip out the information I might not want (trailers, menu animations, subtitles in strange languages) I don't know if much is to be gained from that but with my collection of some 400 DVDs I would end up having to buy several TB of storage to keep up with current rise in DVD buying (I have a problem.. I'll get help I promise). Also indexing ISO files in something like Banshee and being able to easily access the data would also seem hard (the already strange vob format + encryption, inside an ISO file - seems less direct than what might be desirable).

I'd really like to be able to present a generic presentation in Banshee and have this handled in a library. ISOs sound like the wrong fit but I admit I have been unable to find a suitable lossless method. I was hoping someone had thoughts that could go there directly, however if the iso trick does indeed work then at least one could reconvert from pristine ISOs once a a superior solution becomes available.

Directive 4
April 19th, 2010, 05:47 PM
yea, all the menus and bonus features is the problem all right, sometimes more than half the data.

it's hard to know what to do.

i use dvd rip on the main title, with a high bpp (0.4~0.5) it's pretty similar to the original
to the point where i can't tell them apart in a blind taste test:P

2hot6ft2
April 19th, 2010, 06:42 PM

Any advice?
I did a lot while I was using windows with DivX and several other tools.
In ubuntu I haven't done many yet but I did one the other day with dvd::rip and Avidemux to re-encode to AVI, I'm also plying with re-encoding by command line from section 2 of this guide:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1392026

And there's other tools like k3b can RIP a dvd (saw that option earlier while doing another project).

Many people use and recommend handbrake for ripping dvd's but it's not in the repositories and I haven't used it yet.
Here's the home page for it http://handbrake.fr/

If you want it you can add it from it's PPA like this:

Installing handbrake in 9.10
Open a terminal
Applications > Accessories > Terminal
and run these one at a time

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:handbrake-ubuntu/ppa

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install handbrake-gtk

There's also avidemux
Info from Synaptic Package Manager

Avidemux is a free video editor designed for simple cutting, filtering and
encoding tasks. It supports many file types, including AVI, DVD compatible
MPEG files, MP4 and ASF, using a variety of codecs. Tasks can be automated
using projects, job queue and powerful scripting capabilities.
You can install it either by searching for it in
System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager
or by using

sudo apt-get install avidemux

Crunchy the Headcrab
April 19th, 2010, 07:57 PM
Original cases. I like the cases.

pricetech
April 19th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Stick to the cases, either original or purchased "slim" cases.

Personally I put all my DVDs right next to the furnace so they don't get cold and brittle.

yester64
April 20th, 2010, 04:23 AM
Mm.. i personally like the sleeve solution. But i think they have to have a certain plastic sleeve inside. Paper is not that good.
But its more of a storage than regular use.
I store my dvd's on my harddrive (because i am lazy) and watch them on tv over xbox.
Ripping them down with handbrake is the best solution i think and getting stored in mp4 format.
Also i don't care really about specials and additional stuff they usually put on a dvd. I just want to see the movie and that pretty much all.
For me its the space and to be honest there are only a handful movies that have a special case which you want to keep.
If you have no space problem, then its not an issue i think.
But thats my take and i think everyone sees it somewhat different. I wished they would sell dvd's like cd in small cases.