PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 8.10 installation stalls

sanya.ibrahim
April 18th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Hi, I was running a XP/Ubuntu 8.10 dual booting satisfactorily on my Desktop for about two weeks. In between I updated Ubuntu to 9.04. Later I tried to update to 9.10, which did not complete and I landed up in trouble. Apparently, the MBR of windows got corrupted and I was not able to anything. Since I did not have much data and al was backed up regularly, I formatted HDD (80GB SATA) and reinstalled XP. When I tried to reinstall Ubuntu 8.10 from Live CD, the installation stalls even before showing the Installation Window. When I try to run Live CD, this also stalls after the Desktop background is loaded. The Mother Board is ASUS with 500MB DDR RAM.
CAn anyone help?
Sanya

tom4everitt
April 18th, 2010, 06:54 PM
I think the by far easiest solution to this would be to download a burn a live cd of the latest ubuntu, and try that instead (either 9.10 or the 10.04 beta). Just download it from ubuntu.com.

It simply doesn't sound worth the effort to figure out the exact error of a live cd that old (if it is all fixable) when there are several newer versions available.

sanya.ibrahim
April 19th, 2010, 03:09 AM
Thanks. I will try that. But any guess on the cause of error? I was running this version just a few days ago on the same PC with the same partition!

infamous-online
April 19th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Hi, I was running a XP/Ubuntu 8.10 dual booting satisfactorily on my Desktop for about two weeks. In between I updated Ubuntu to 9.04. Later I tried to update to 9.10, which did not complete and I landed up in trouble. Apparently, the MBR of windows got corrupted and I was not able to anything. Since I did not have much data and al was backed up regularly, I formatted HDD (80GB SATA) and reinstalled XP. When I tried to reinstall Ubuntu 8.10 from Live CD, the installation stalls even before showing the Installation Window. When I try to run Live CD, this also stalls after the Desktop background is loaded. The Mother Board is ASUS with 500MB DDR RAM.
CAn anyone help?
Sanya

Like the other poster said, perhaps it would be best just to use the latest version of ubuntu as they are more refined and polished. Also something else I like to do that many others don't when it comes to installing Ubuntu and Windows on the same machine. I like to use two seperate harddrives so that way if Ubuntu goes corrupt or vice versa, neither will impact the other. I love my setip because I can boot into Windows 7 with it's bootloader and Ubuntu with grub. However most don't like this method because many prefer to keep everything on one harddrive which is fine for them, just not for me. However, I would wait 10 days for the next version of Ubuntu to come ou, I hope I was able to give you a few tips.