PDA

View Full Version : Wireless driver in kernel source code

vksingh
April 18th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Hi,

Can some body tell me where i can find source code for wireless driver in kernel source code. I have downloaded kernel 2.6.33 .

Please help.

Thanks,

Vivek

Reiger
April 18th, 2010, 01:00 PM
There is not a single wireless driver; and, if I understood the structure from a glance while trying to find a specific device driver myself, the more mature wireless drivers tend to rely heavily on a few skeleton pieces and merely add in their own device specific stuff.

That said you will find a drivers/ section. If the driver is new, you will probably find it under drivers/staging. For instance the Ralink drivers are found there, an example is drivers/staging/rt2870 for the rt2870 chipset (used in Wireless-N USB dongles).

It may be best to consult the documentation (various text files) supplied with the kernel if you want to examine specific sub sets.

nvteighen
April 18th, 2010, 06:58 PM
And why do you need to do this? If you want to get the driver, the best is always to 1) check the repositories and grab the package (download it w/o installing or using "apt-get source" or whatever) 2) get it from the manufacturer's webpage. Unless you want to actually develop part of it, I don't see why you'd like to take the driver's source... not taking account of the fact that wireless drivers are usually proprietary, of course.