PDA

View Full Version : What Would You Need To Completely Switch To Linux?

asddf
April 18th, 2010, 09:06 AM
After seeing the topic, "How many of you have completely switched to Linux"

I thought it would be interesting to have one on the things missing from Linux that would allow us to.

sxmaxchine
April 18th, 2010, 09:18 AM
i can everything (everything i use a pc for) on linux just some programs arent as good or fancy looking as windows programs

cariboo
April 18th, 2010, 09:25 AM
Quickbooks

Linye
April 18th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Programs like autocad, surcadd, arcgis, land desktop etc. to deal with spatial information. Although right now I'm only running ubuntu, I plan to to put a windows partition.

Crunchy the Headcrab
April 18th, 2010, 09:45 AM
I'm hoping that with some of the cool software that are starting to exist in the cloud, that it will be possible for much of the cool software to be available regardless of OS. I really dig Google's suite of apps and use many of them quite frequently.

Maybe I shouldn't have posted in this thread as I have completely switched to Linux, unless of course you include my Windows 7 virtual machine, which I use only for school purposes really.

clanky
April 18th, 2010, 10:58 AM
To be honest for me I really can't see any point in switching completely, I generally buy my computers from a shop and they come with Windows anyway, what would change my mind would be a clear financial incentive to buy a PC either without an OS or with Linux pre-installed.

That said even with the financial incentive I would need a professional quality CAD package.

There are a few games that I play in windows which won't run in wine, but I could live without them if I had a decent CAD package.

dyltman
April 18th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Pretty much all mainstream games.

Khakilang
April 18th, 2010, 11:12 AM
I don't need anything. After testing for a few month on an old computer. I completely switch to Linux. Most of the thing in Linux are just good enough for me.

Random_Dude
April 18th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Now that I've discovered wine, maybe all I need is time.

If I can run properly all the Microsoft programs that I need (like Office), then I'll think about switching to Ubuntu completely. I've still got some problems with videos and sound on Powerpoint, so this will take a while.

I'll probably just make my Ubuntu partition bigger when 10.10 comes out, and leave a smaller space to windows 7. If everything works out fine, I'll dump Windows. :biggrin:

Cheers :cool:

clanky
April 18th, 2010, 11:29 AM
I can't see any point in dumping an already existing Windows install, even if you never use it then it will always be there in just to use for accessing the web to find a fix if something goes wrong in a Linux install. Unless you are struggling for HDD space then why delete a perfectly good OS that you have paid for?

A different matter if you are buying a new PC and there is some financial reason to install Linux instead of Windows.

Eisenwinter
April 18th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Cubase SX 3 with full VST support.

chriswyatt
April 18th, 2010, 11:39 AM
An installation CD is all I need to switch to Linux.

clhsharky
April 18th, 2010, 11:54 AM
HI

I have no need for windows anymore but many people do.
There is no operating system that can do everything better than another OS. Or a single computer that can do everything. I don't even know anyone that owns a computer that has only 1.
Professionals may need windows programs and games are a want, not a need.
So honestly I cant answer that ? Too limiting.

Sharky

Random_Dude
April 18th, 2010, 12:15 PM
I can't see any point in dumping an already existing Windows install, even if you never use it then it will always be there in just to use for accessing the web to find a fix if something goes wrong in a Linux install. Unless you are struggling for HDD space then why delete a perfectly good OS that you have paid for?

A different matter if you are buying a new PC and there is some financial reason to install Linux instead of Windows.

Dumping Windows doesn't mean throwing the installation DVD out of the window.
If you feel like you don't use it anymore and don't need it, why keep that HDD space occupied? Windows stills takes a lot of HDD space and that might be a problem to someone with an old PC.

I'm not saying I don't need windows or that I'm 100% sure that I'll switch completely. But at least I won't pay for windows the next time I buy a PC.

Cheers :cool:

Jose Catre-Vandis
April 18th, 2010, 02:39 PM
The reason I need windows is to interface with the rest of the business world:

Needs (and this needs to be done without WINE):

Perfect translation of Microsoft Office (both ways)
The latest IE to use management software solutions which are built on IE
Acrobat (not the Reader)

Linux meets/exceeds my personal computing requirements

Frogs Hair
April 18th, 2010, 03:45 PM
I received W7 HP as a gift when I built a computer in November and its an OEM so it only works on one machine once installed . If I were running my old computer with XP I would switch in a heart beat . 9.10 blows XP away in my opinion.

One thing about W7 Home Premium is that it can't belong to a domain. some thing that
Ubuntu does for free . You need W7 Pro or Higher for that.

Groucho Marxist
April 18th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Programs For Professional Use

AVID
ENCO (Radio automation software)
Selector (Radio playlist creation)
Adobe Creative Suite
Adobe Audition
Solidworks
Autocad

Programs For Everyday Use

Sid Meier's Civilization III: Complete Edition
iTunes (In order to hear my radio station's live stream)
Sid Meier's Civilization V (Coming Soon)
Notepad++

I'll post more if I can think of any.

Doctor Mike
April 18th, 2010, 04:18 PM
A tool to automatically emulate the OS any software is made for (a shell). I would not only use MS. I would not only use Linux. I would not limit my options with the choice of only one OS unless that OS was universally compatible. :)

mickie.kext
April 18th, 2010, 04:34 PM
I already switched completely about year ago. Before that, Windows was just for emergency and I realized that is really more like a anoyance. So I wiped it, and I did not looked back.

Uncle Spellbinder
April 18th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Internet Explorer and Microsoft Office. My wife's online schoolling requires both.

For me:
iTunes, Total Audio Converter and Tag & Rename

finlost
May 2nd, 2010, 08:00 AM
Quickbooks
Werd. QBs is the industry standard, so other double entry accounting packages won't cut it for me. I don't see QBs ever cutting a Linux version.

scouser73
May 2nd, 2010, 04:30 PM
Patience & realising that you might not have Ubuntu set up perfectly the first time, also Ubuntu Tweak and an account on Ubuntu Forums which will keep you in good company when you need help.

jrusso2
May 2nd, 2010, 04:47 PM
Linuz would have to become more stable and offer more commercial applications instead of the amateur ones you currently are stuck with.

MooPi
May 2nd, 2010, 05:05 PM
Steam- - - - - - - - - - - - -- I'm a CounterStrike & Battlefield Bad Company junky. Also Left4Dead would be good.

mamamia88
May 2nd, 2010, 05:10 PM
native microsoft office. doing my final project in open office is driving me crazy.

screaminj3sus
May 2nd, 2010, 05:19 PM
For my desktop: Native office, native steam, and native games (source games + Bad Company 2 would be enough for me :) )

For m laptop: Native office, improved ati drivers (power management still isnt up to par with oss drivers)

Drecondius
May 2nd, 2010, 05:24 PM
I too would require native Office, Wine isn't cutting it currently. Native games are good enough to keep me satisfied and wanting more, heck i've nearly filled a 250gb hd with them. (all native linux or commercial with linux support and installer)

WinterRain
May 2nd, 2010, 06:52 PM
I can't see any point in dumping an already existing Windows install, even if you never use it then it will always be there in just to use for accessing the web to find a fix if something goes wrong in a Linux install.

That's what live cd's are for. ;)

WinterRain
May 2nd, 2010, 07:01 PM
Linuz would have to become more stable and offer more commercial applications instead of the amateur ones you currently are stuck with.

Needs to be more stable? Linux has always been more stable for me than windows ever was. I suggest getting/building a new pc.

As far as applications go, do you know that most world class applications (not merely commercial) are linux apps? That's why Hollywood and Governments use linux for the most demanding jobs. Windows is not a better OS per se, it just gets a lot of apps written for it because of it's popularity.

Your stability comment I don't understand. Everyone I know agrees that linux is 10 times more stable than windows.

screaminj3sus
May 2nd, 2010, 07:51 PM
Needs to be more stable? Linux has always been more stable for me than windows ever was. I suggest getting/building a new pc.

As far as applications go, do you know that most world class applications (not merely commercial) are linux apps? That's why Hollywood and Governments use linux for the most demanding jobs. Windows is not a better OS per se, it just gets a lot of apps written for it because of it's popularity.

Your stability comment I don't understand. Everyone I know agrees that linux is 10 times more stable than windows.

I've had stability problems with linux in the past before, its not perfect, no os is. I find the whole "windows is more unstable" argument to be completely inaccurate since win xp anyway, it was true in the win9x days but not anymore. I find them both pretty stable for me.

If windows runs stable on his pc and linux doesnt its NOT a hardware problem with his pc and he doesnt need to get a new one lol...

greg_stager
May 2nd, 2010, 08:33 PM
I have 5 computers in the house. Three of them run Ubuntu and the other two run Windows (My main and my wife's main)

I would like to make a complete switch but for my main computer, I need to have Flash CS3 and iTunes for my iPhone. I also run a lot of other specialty software for conversions and editing.I am also a World of Warcraft junkie so would need to have that work without flaw.

On a more professional note, I need to be able to run all the Cisco software from my PC so I can do some remote management of the office.

To be honest, I have not looked into whether all these are possible or not yet.

For my wife, it is just iTunes for her iPod - rumor had it that 10.04 offered a solution for this and if so I would gladly change the 4th computer to Ubuntu as well.

voxman69
May 2nd, 2010, 09:25 PM
I do everything in Ubuntu except for music recording...
I've actually found a couple of good programs, Ardour and EnergyXT, but on Linux they're not quite there yet. Mainly the problem right now is the lack of VST support (it exists, but not nearly as good as in Windows) and the fiddling with my audio hardware to get everything running smoothly. I have 2 soundcards, Echo-Audio Gina 3G and an Edirol UA-25EX. They work, but again, not as good as in Windows...yet.

I do follow the development closely though...