PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Aborted Lucid Upgrade

whackedspinach
April 18th, 2010, 07:40 AM
I attempted to upgrade my Karmic installation to Lucid today. It seemed to work fine until I had about 5 minutes remaining. Then it reported some error about xorg-server-core I believe. I attempted to reboot but I just get a blinking cursor. Now I'm on a Live Xubuntu disc. Does anyone know if this would be possible to troubleshoot and fix? Or should I just attempt to download a Lucid image and install a clean copy?

quixote
April 19th, 2010, 10:39 PM
Does the machine boot at all or not? I.e. when is the blinking cursor, pre-grub or after the grub menu?

If after, there might be some things worth trying. If before, then maybe not.

Describe exactly what happens and any error messages, or if they go by too fast to see.

grege
April 20th, 2010, 12:34 AM
if you can get to the system cursor

type

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

if that does not work then try

sudo apt-get install -f

and see what happens

Neds Moar Salt
April 20th, 2010, 03:29 AM
I attempted to upgrade my Karmic installation to Lucid today. It seemed to work fine until I had about 5 minutes remaining. Then it reported some error about xorg-server-core I believe. I attempted to reboot but I just get a blinking cursor. Now I'm on a Live Xubuntu disc. Does anyone know if this would be possible to troubleshoot and fix? Or should I just attempt to download a Lucid image and install a clean copy?

Boot into your live cd, do a chroot like you were restoring grub (Ubuntu has a nice tut on this) and run `dpkg --configure -a` to fix your broken packages and then use `apt-get dist-upgrade` to hopefully upgrade the rest of your packages, and if it fails, then `dpkg --configure -a` again and do the apt-get again.

garvinrick4
April 20th, 2010, 04:59 AM
Get a live CD and boot it up. I am using lucid as a label and sda5 as partition #. Use your own. Here is code to get label and partition #. If no label make one in gparted.
right click on partition choose label, type in hit OK then apply with green check mark.
Code:
sudo blkid (second letter is small L)

sudo mkdir /media/lucid

sudo mount /dev/sda5 /media/lucid

sudo cp /etc/resolv.conf /media/lucid/etc/resolv.conf

sudo chroot /media/lucid

apt-get update

apt-get dist-upgrade

apt-get -f install

umount /media/lucid

whackedspinach
April 23rd, 2010, 03:24 AM
I'm sorry I didn't update this. The next day I rebooted it and it booted up fine into lucid. Dunno what happened.

quixote
April 23rd, 2010, 02:27 PM
All's well that ends well. :D And should it happen again, you'll know there's a fix.