PDA

View Full Version : twitter anyone find it kind of stupid?

mamamia88
April 18th, 2010, 05:16 AM
at first i kind of enjoyed using it but now i find myself checking it once a day if i check it at all i just don't see the point what about you guys do you think it's a good idea?

Lightstar
April 18th, 2010, 05:39 AM
I see it as a shrinked version of facebook, where only the status shows.

I don't have any use for it.
I don't see why people would care about my daily routine and what I ate for dinner.

I don't find it stupid, just useless, for me. (maybe not for you)

Frak
April 18th, 2010, 05:40 AM
If the Library of Congress archives it, I find it useful.

RiceMonster
April 18th, 2010, 05:43 AM
I don't like twitter or facebook. I don't have a twitter account, but unfortunately I have facebook. I don't care what people are doing every 5 minutes, and facebook is bad enough for that. No way I'm signing up for twitter.

Daisuke_Aramaki
April 18th, 2010, 05:48 AM
Same sentiments as Rice. If I want to keep in touch with friends, I email or call. Never been a fan of all these social networking junk. Twitter may be liked by a lot of people, but I think of it as a perfect tool for all those ASW's who have nothing else to do.

d3v1150m471c
April 18th, 2010, 05:50 AM
Twitter is one way to both pacify and exacerbate social deprivation and the users' means to ends via communication. *Results may vary. Much like our forum, this verbal extension of homeostasis is the same but more severe.

cdavid13
April 18th, 2010, 05:50 AM
I do like that pay pal is trying to make an app to where you can tweet money from yhour pay pal account to another viva tweeter which could change the world as far as selling stuff outside business.

ssj6akshat
April 18th, 2010, 05:56 AM
I found this stupid and useless until I found This (http://twitter.com/ubuntustatus)

NightwishFan
April 18th, 2010, 06:44 AM
I am sure it has its uses but it is almost inappropriate to be used for everyday stuff and not just for people with notoriety. For example, My Show, This Place, This Date. Not what I ate for lunch.

Paqman
April 18th, 2010, 06:44 AM
I don't care what people are doing every 5 minutes

That's really only one thing you can use it for. Sure, if you had really inane friends that's what they'd tweet about, but i'm guessing you probably don't. Speaking for myself, anyone who tweets rubbish gets swiftly unfollowed.

Personally I use Twitter as infrastructure. I connect all my other presences around the internet to it and use Twitter to synchronise them all automatically. So when I post to my blog, it shows up as my Facebook status, and when I thumb something up on Stumbleupon, then all my Twitter and identi.ca contacts get it too. It's useful because it's so widely plugged-into.

BrokenKingpin
April 18th, 2010, 06:58 AM
I very much dislike Twitter and Facebook.

arnab_das
April 18th, 2010, 07:00 AM
if anyone dislikes twitter and facebook its because one hasnt discovered the power of these networking platforms.

twitter and facebook if used well, are really really awesome tools.

m4tic
April 18th, 2010, 07:48 AM
if hundreds of millons of people think facebook is useful, there surely has to be something you missed. And it can't be possible that you're smarter than that population

K.Mandla
April 18th, 2010, 07:56 AM
I shall join the "grumpy old person" contingent and also say I see no point in either Twitter or Facebook, and therefore have no use for them. And you kids stay out of my yard.

Elfy
April 18th, 2010, 08:00 AM
I shall join the "grumpy old person" contingent and also say I see no point in either Twitter or Facebook, and therefore have no use for them. And you kids stay out of my yard.

saved me writing it ;)

NightwishFan
April 18th, 2010, 08:07 AM
Nice post K.Mandla, I agree. 'Next time I slip on one of those skateboards or ipads!' *shakes cane threateningly*

user1397
April 18th, 2010, 08:09 AM
if hundreds of millons of people think facebook is useful, there surely has to be something you missed. And it can't be possible that you're smarter than that population
Who said most people who use it are doing it on the grounds that it is useful? I think most use it because it's the 'cool' thing to have.

wilee-nilee
April 18th, 2010, 08:09 AM

Yeah what they said, actually from a social interaction standpoint, these sort of sites really support the already superficial lifestyle we love in the USA.

For an example of superficiality, next time somebody asks you how your doing, tell them the truth and watch them back away. Even your friends may not really want to know how your doing.

It is not that any of these social networks are totally good or bad that is a dichotomy, it is that it is easy to get caught up in them and not realizing some of the negative aspects.

Dayofswords
April 18th, 2010, 08:12 AM
i have an account but dont use it(or follow or anything)

but i find it nice for sites to give some small info for maintenance or an issue or some kind of update to it's site

i also like wikileaks's use of it

for conversion that take place on twitter, plain annoying

purgatori
April 18th, 2010, 11:12 AM
-kind of.

wojox
April 18th, 2010, 11:15 AM
I'm anti-social-networking. :)

chriswyatt
April 18th, 2010, 12:28 PM
I like it, it's simple. If there is a person or company or other text service that interests you, click follow and it appears on your feed. Nice and simple.

When I first tried Twitter I only used it as a news aggregator as I don't really care what someone (celebrity or not) had for breakfast.

The argument that 'Twitter is rubbish because I don't wanna read mundane texts' doesn't really hold up, because you 'choose' to follow that person. If anyone bores the hell out of me I just unfollow them.

Naiki Muliaina
April 18th, 2010, 02:05 PM
The argument that 'Twitter is rubbish because I don't wanna read mundane texts' doesn't really hold up, because you 'choose' to follow that person. If anyone bores the hell out of me I just unfollow them.

This ^^

Twitter is only as good as you make it. Which is why it recieves such negative press. People go in 'expecting' to see rubbish, and take off at the first sign of it confirming its rubbish because thats what they wanted to see. I have a lot of friends RL, SL and generally online folks ive never met i talk to daily Twitter. So Twitter acts as one big conversation for me. I dont think i have ever read a tweet about what somebodys having for lunch.... If i did, i would unfollow them instantly... Also use it as a news feed following some of my fave groups on it.

Facebook i know a few people who use it to keep up with friends who moved away. To be honest im a little sad it wasnt about 12-15 years ago when there was an exodus of my friends to all the Unis around the uk, followed by a 2nd exodus when they got degrees and moved to where the jobs were. Most of my school friends moved away from London during that period of my life and ive never caught up with them.

ratcheer
April 18th, 2010, 02:08 PM
at first i kind of enjoyed using it but now i find myself checking it once a day if i check it at all i just don't see the point what about you guys do you think it's a good idea?

I think it is very stupid.

Tim

Khakilang
April 18th, 2010, 02:14 PM
I had admit I use Facebook but just to keep in touch with from local, out of state and overseas and I found a friend I haven't seen in 20 years through some network of freinds and end up in Facebook. But Twitter is something I regret in joining.

Doctor Mike
April 18th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Hundreds of millions of people have used OS's that were not secure, unreliable and overpriced. I don't call it stupid, but what would you call it?

rudihawk
April 18th, 2010, 04:20 PM
I have an account, hardly ever update it. I see no use for it. Besides hardly anyone uses it here in South Africa.

Jon Monreal
April 18th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Sometimes I get such a sense of "unwashed masses vs us" here in these forums. While both Facebook and Twitter have a bunch of crap such as advertising and useless groups and updates, they can both serve a purpose even if you aren't so interested in some of the kinds of interaction they offer. For developers, they can offer you a chance to interact with your users and get feedback in a more relaxed setting than a bug tracker, which might overwhelm an inexperienced user.

Twitter especially seems to be a great platform for businesses and organizations interacting with users. A 140 character limit means you aren't overwhelmed with giant feature requests and the like, but instead short honest statements.

mkvnmtr
April 18th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Twitter has suddenly become very important here in Mexico. We are having a lot of violence as the drug cartels fight among themselves. This is seldom reported on the normal media . It seems the only place you can learn if it is safe to go downtown is on twitter. You quickly learn who to follow for truthful reports. Other than that aspect I have little use for it.

reyfer
April 18th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Americans use it for stupid trivial stuff......most of the rest of the world find some good uses (places where freedom of speech is not so common can use it to make the world know what goes on....it helps communicate in times of tragedy like the earthquakes in Haiti and Chile). But again, americans thinking only americans use the web find it stupid because of what other americans (that also think only americans are on the web) twitt about

paydaydaddy
April 18th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Twitter is just a tool that is available. It is neither smart or stupid. There certainly are stupid users and uses. A screwdriver does not make a very good hammer.

standingwave
April 18th, 2010, 07:44 PM
I treat it as a pared down blogosphere. I even use my RSS feed reader to follow a couple of tweeters.

swoll1980
April 18th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Twitter, and Facebook seem to be where middle aged people go to pretend they're still in high school, or where actual high schoolers go to worry about other people's business. Very few people use it to communicate with close friends and family anymore.

Frak
April 18th, 2010, 07:54 PM
I use twitter to communicate with my real life friends.

-grubby
April 18th, 2010, 09:40 PM
And you kids stay out of my yard.

But I love your yard :(

agnes
April 19th, 2010, 01:41 AM
I only read one account that isn't real but a funny joke of someone, sort of a parody of a trashy urban/rap girl.
I'm gonna make my own account and invent a fake person, too (just for fun).
Conclusion: it's good for fun.

witeshark17
April 19th, 2010, 03:10 AM
It can be entertaining and a bit of fun. :popcorn:

mamamia88
April 19th, 2010, 03:47 AM
don't get me wrong i like checking twitter for updates to see what people think of stuff that is going on in sports games and stuff like that but i just find myself using it less and less.

Frogs Hair
April 19th, 2010, 04:33 AM
Interesting thread , because I've never used Twitter or Facebook and don't know anyone personally that does.

amitabhishek
April 19th, 2010, 05:43 AM
For a long time I didn't knew what to do with my Twitter ID. But now I like it. Its non intrusive, informal and def. not stupid.

Google must be kicking themselves everyday for not coming out with something like that.

Crafty Kisses
April 19th, 2010, 07:26 AM
Just like any social networking site, it's just gives you something to do, and a a decent way to keep in contact with someone.

djyoung4
April 19th, 2010, 08:13 AM
I found this (http://twitter.com/newlywedsontjob) kinda funny.

madnessjack
April 19th, 2010, 12:04 PM
It's good for sharing idea's and reading others, as unlike myspace and facebook people are limited in what they can say- so it comes down to quality over quantity.

But it's a tool. If stupid people use it it will be stupid.

I think twitter was aimed at phones too. The idea to be able to pickup lots of information about people you're following or just your mates via a few entries like such is a good idea.

loell
April 19th, 2010, 12:25 PM
oooohhh,

rt @Jonobacon Come and join us at the Ubuntu California Lucid Release Party at the Thirsty Bear in San Fran on Thu 29th Apr - http://is.gd/byUGJ #ubuntu

:D

I reckon our loco will be having similar ridiculous tweet Soon! /S

t0p
April 19th, 2010, 12:59 PM
I find the intended uses of twitter to be pretty pointless. Microblogging is just dumb.

But there are numerous unintended uses that can make twitter a useful service: check out this (http://www.botanicalls.com/archived_kits/twitter/) and this (http://onthefencedevelopment.com/?p=289). These are just examples of how twitter's infrastructure can be used to perform remote operations.

tuddy666
April 19th, 2010, 01:03 PM
I found this stupid and useless until I found This (http://twitter.com/ubuntustatus)

This is exactly why I have a Twitter account- it's useful for following these kinds of things, which was (I think) the original intended use of it. Then the hipster bandwagon ruined it by telling us about their bowel movements and other things in the realm of "TMI".

Random_Dude
April 19th, 2010, 01:08 PM
I thought I was alone in the world, then I found this thread!

arnab_das
April 19th, 2010, 01:11 PM
there are really some awesome folks on twitter. the people i follow are post so witty stuff, that i really never get bored even when i'm checking out my timeline.

Viva
April 19th, 2010, 03:12 PM
All social networking sites are stupid.

Tristam Green
April 19th, 2010, 03:20 PM
lol @ people thinking that objects completely incapable of any sentient thought are "stupid".

I don't have a twitter account, but I certainly don't think it's any less of a waste of time as I do video games (I play Guild Wars 2-4 hours a day), music or movies (woohoo $200 a month purchasing CDs/ going to the theater), or grocery-line tabloids.