PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] On screen speckles..

Baldrick_NZ
April 18th, 2010, 03:06 AM
G'day all,

Upon installing 10.04 beta1 (and subsequently beta2), I've noticed a lot of white speckles (or spots) show up over the dark window borders using ambience.
I'm also noticing dark speckles or spots just above the AWN bar I installed when using an application such as Firefox, with a white background.

I know these aren't yet final versions, and the problem may well be sorted by the final release time, but I'm curious as to know how many others might be having the same problem and if so, have you found a fix for it?

I'm using an Acer T135 tower with Dell 17" LCD monitor. This hasn't been an issue with previous versions of Ubuntu, however I must add that I wasn't able to use Compiz-fusion before either. I haven't used AWN previously either.

10.04 LTS is definately shaping up to be the os of choice. Way to go guys!

Baldrick_NZ
April 19th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Tonite it's REALLY bad! Almost unusable.

Tried a restart - no different.

Check out the screenshots... You'll see the distortion, even the cursor arrow has got an odd shadow!

Any ideas? Anyone?

EDIT:
So, it doesn't speckle in dos, when the ubuntu splash screen comes up the arrow now sports an odd looking shadow which remains until shutdown.

Have turned off AWN, restarted the PC and the problem persists. Similarly Compiz-fusion.

The problem doesn't appear so evident when using XP under VirualBox (the XP desktop itself looks free of any distortion, except for the cursor arrow).

Have completed a clean-out using Computer Janitor (older kernels, etc...) but no joy still.

This is indeed very odd.

cascade9
April 19th, 2010, 12:22 PM
I would guess that your problem is artifacting from your video card (a Via Unichrome Pro K8M80).

Try turning compiz off, it might help.

Baldrick_NZ
April 20th, 2010, 05:51 AM
I would guess that your problem is artifacting from your video card (a Via Unichrome Pro K8M80).

Try turning compiz off, it might help.

Tried that, restarted PC, prob seems even worse than before.

I have an ATI Radeon 9250 128mb video card installed. When I disconnect this and reboot to the on-board card, the problem disappears but so does AWN and Compiz.

Re-install card, back to square one.

Anyone else have any suggestions, please?