PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No windows borders using compiz

mfnano
April 17th, 2010, 09:46 PM
hi,

I installed ubuntu 10.04 and after installing the drivers for my graphic card ATI Mobility Radeon HD4570, windows borders do not appear anymore.

When I type "metacity --replace" borders come back, but I can't use compiz, also when I try to disable "Window Decoration" from the compizConfig Settings it doesn't work, it keeps always enabled.

I tried this hack here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=537588 but it didn't work for me (or I didn't apply it correctly, I'm new to the system).

Thank you.

ender4
April 17th, 2010, 11:59 PM
I had a similar problem. Typing
emerald --replace fixed the problem temporarily. And if I remember correctly, I needed to changes some setting to start up emerald on login.

mfnano
April 18th, 2010, 12:26 AM
I had a similar problem. Typing
emerald --replace fixed the problem temporarily. And if I remember correctly, I needed to changes some setting to start up emerald on login.

Well it's kinda work, but the theme is not really a good one, can't I just restore the borders back with the current (default) theme?

micio
April 19th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Install compiz-configurator (or something similar) and add window decoration plugin

mfnano
April 19th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Install compiz-configurator (or something similar) and add window decoration plugin

Actually I did so, but it didn't work.

What worked for me is that I installed the Simple CompizConfig Settings Manager and changed the profile from Default to Advanced and it worked!! :)

andrea000
April 20th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Open ccsm and go to the workarounds plug in and
check legacy full screen support reboot and see
if that fixes your borders.

ptrinder64
May 2nd, 2010, 06:09 PM
A suggestion here, if you go to Compiz have you selected the Windows Decoration option? If the answer is 'yes', go into the Compiz Windows Decoration settings and enter the following in the 'Command' field:

/usr/bin/compiz-decorator

and restart. Hopefully this will sort it as it did for me.

Let us know if it works.