PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how distructive will be the upgrade?

degarb
April 17th, 2010, 09:10 PM
How destructive will the 10.4 upgrade be? I am worried my wifi card (which I had to use the windows wrapper to get running) will break. I am worried I might have to reinstall my applications. Which I am fuzzy as to how to backup. I am worried I might lack needed free space for any upgrade. I am worried the limited hardware that works great now (600 mhz 1 gig ram, limited video card) with ubuntu (not light) will cease working smoothly with upgrade. I am worried about the economy and how the upgrade will affect the fragile state of the system. Will I be able to blame any Ubuntu upgrade failure for any bounced checks? I might have missed some of my concerns, but feel free to ignore any that may not apply.

PhilGil
April 17th, 2010, 09:16 PM
I'm worried that the upgrade may disrupt the gravitational balance of the Oort Cloud and send a killer comet hurtling toward Earth.

oldos2er
April 18th, 2010, 02:22 AM
If you're worried, don't upgrade.

howefield
April 18th, 2010, 02:31 AM
I am worried....

You only need to worry if you are running a release which has reached end of life, if you aren't running such a release, bask in the knowledge that upgrading isn't compulsory.

Enjoy your working system.

You can always run from Live CD to test your hardware, not exactly the same as running from hard disk, but it should give you a good idea of how robust the upgrade could be for you.

But do aspire to become less "fuzzy" in backing up.