PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Installed Lucid Beta2 - will install of final release be required

cheetaux
April 17th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Hi All,
I just installed the Beta2 version of 10.04 and really like it so far. I've been using Ubuntu since 6.10 (Dapper) but this is the first time I installed a beta version (since I have a separate /home partition, installs and reinstalls are relatively painless, so I figured I'd give it a shot now).

When the final version is released in a couple of weeks, should I re-download/install the final version or will the Update Manager take care of updating all packages to the final configuration?

Thanks

deeminter
April 17th, 2010, 11:12 PM
If you do the updates as they become available via the update manager, the current Beta will be updated to the final release version thus a re-installation of the final release will not be required.

I suggest that you use the update manager once or twice a week, until the final release later this month.

deeminter

Slim Odds
April 18th, 2010, 12:03 AM
If you do the updates as they become available via the update manager, the current Beta will be updated to the final release version thus a re-installation of the final release will not be required.

I suggest that you use the update manager once or twice a week, until the final release later this month.

deeminter

Or better yet. Just wait and update when it's released. Unless there is a specific update that address a problem that you have.

And yes, as has been said thousands of times, if you keep updating a beta, you will have the final release.

cheetaux
April 18th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Thanks. I figured that the installed beta release would be updated to the final release, but it is cleaner to do a fresh re-install of the released version. Likewise, I've always heard some people recommend doing a fresh ugrade (when going from 9.09 to to 10.04 for example) rather than upgrading via the Update Manager.

Sef
April 18th, 2010, 05:22 PM

I would recommend daily as sometimes you can still get 50-100 updates.

Slim Odds
April 18th, 2010, 06:01 PM
I would recommend daily as sometimes you can still get 50-100 updates.

Well unless one of those 50-100 updates fixes a specific issue that you're having, you don't need them. And they might very well break your system.

Unfortunately, 99% of the people in this forum are not actually "testing" 10.04 as much as trying it out. So they surely don't need to be getting all of those updates and chancing a self destructing system.