PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation stumbling block

rsouthard
April 17th, 2010, 07:45 PM
I am trying to install Ubuntu 9.10 on a laptop. The laptop does not have working cd-rom or an operating system installed. I was hoping to install via USB cd-rom. The bios is an old one and will not allow booting from USB. Does anyone know of a way for me to install?

quadproc
April 17th, 2010, 10:31 PM
I am trying to install Ubuntu 9.10 on a laptop. The laptop does not have working cd-rom or an operating system installed. I was hoping to install via USB cd-rom. The bios is an old one and will not allow booting from USB. Does anyone know of a way for me to install?
The only thing that I can think of is to remove the hard disk from the laptop, temporarily install it in a different computer, do the install, then replace the hard disk in the laptop. The fact that there is no operating system pretty much prevents anyone from doing anything with that disk while it is in that computer.

quadproc

rsouthard
April 18th, 2010, 12:11 AM
The only thing that I can think of is to remove the hard disk from the laptop, temporarily install it in a different computer, do the install, then replace the hard disk in the laptop. The fact that there is no operating system pretty much prevents anyone from doing anything with that disk while it is in that computer.

quadproc

*sigh* I was crossing my fingers for a trick that I had missed.

Thanks for reply. Fortuantly I have another laptop that should work for the swap. Guess I get to bust them open.