PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ssh with reserved port and ssh-agent: how to?

KeesM
April 17th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Dear all,

I am trying to set up an NSLU2 network disk with Debian Linux, to operate as samba server. This in itself works fine; what I have problems with is in accessing it safely over the internet via a SSH tunnel, using Ubuntu 9.10. To do so, I use SSH to forward port 445, and then mount a share using -t cifs.

What is my problem (as seen through the eyes of a relative beginner, non-english): to connect using port 445, I need to run SSH as root, e.g. using sudo, as port 445 is a privileged port. As long as I want to log in using a password, this works fine :) . However, when I want to log in using a key file/passphrase already loaded into ssh-agent, this breaks down as running ssh as root apparently blocks the access of ssh to the ssh-agent deamon :( ?

So, for good order:

mounting via the SSH tunnel as root (sudo) works perfect as long as I use a password
Logging in as user using SSH and key file/pass phrase via ssh-add/ssh-agent works great as long as I do not do this using sudo
But combining these to forward the port (needing sudo) and use a key file (not allowing sudo) gives me a problem...

And sudo ssh-add can not access the running ssh-agent to add the key file as root

What is a clean way to solve this while using a key file approach? I can do it using a non-reserved port e.g. 12345 instead of the port 445 reserved for this purpose, but this does not feel right to me... or is this just me?

Any ideas?

Brandon Williams
April 20th, 2010, 05:45 PM
What is a clean way to solve this while using a key file approach? I can do it using a non-reserved port e.g. 12345 instead of the port 445 reserved for this purpose, but this does not feel right to me... or is this just me?

That is what I would recommend, even if you were going to continue to use password based login. If there is a simple way to avoid running a command as root, it's generally a good idea to do so, especially when the command is used for remote access of one sort or another. I always run ssh for my tunnels as a non-root user, which means that I always use non-standard local ports for standard services.

KeesM
May 14th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Thanks. Indeed probably the best way to solve this, and I did not find any further issues (working great). Mounting cifs filesystem on this port was no issue.