PDA

View Full Version : [short] review of Kubuntu Lucid.

sandyd
April 17th, 2010, 06:34 PM
http://dolphinaura.co.cc/linux/updatedubuntu-linux-10-04-review (http://www.carleedolphinaura.co.cc/linux/ubuntu-lucid-10-04-short-review)

-updated review

Doctor Mike
April 17th, 2010, 08:56 PM
http://www.carleedolphinaura.co.cc/linux/ubuntu-lucid-10-04-short-review
Carlee, I just wish that the Klingons (floating buttons were either at the top or bottom [left or right]), because they are distracting and make it hard to focus on the text. Have reviewed Kunbuntu Lucid myself and was in doubt as to the advantage. KDE was the first GUI I used with slackware (was the only gui), but see gnome as currently leading the field... still keep it as an optional desktop, but not sure it's better or large?... :)

NightwishFan
April 18th, 2010, 12:21 AM
I myself was originally a KDE user. Honestly I prefer KDE 3.5, it was the peak of the graphical user interface. Fun, friendly, and customizable. KDE 4 has awesome features, but not the polish. (At the very least it is packaged poorly by most distros).

It was a great review, though I should note that updates breaking is merely a development release issue. I would avoid a partial update unless you know it will not break anything you need. Short and to the point, told everyone what you felt and what they they might like. Great job.

Danny Dubya
April 18th, 2010, 04:11 AM
Konqueror still doesn't support a lot of plugins – it would be nice if it was backwards compatible with Firefox extensions.
It'd be far more practical to finish porting Firefox to Qt and make it look and feel like Konqueror, than to try to add Firefox's XUL-rendering ability to both Konqueror's chrome and renderer just so it could use Firefox extensions.

A maintenance release is exactly what both KDE and Kubuntu need.

texaswriter
April 26th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Great review, very very thorough!! It actually made me excited about updating to Kubuntu Lucid Lynx.... I had been very apprehensive.

Well, I still think I'll wait a little bit for bugs to be ironed out...

Shining Arcanine
April 26th, 2010, 10:43 AM
I myself was originally a KDE user. Honestly I prefer KDE 3.5, it was the peak of the graphical user interface. Fun, friendly, and customizable. KDE 4 has awesome features, but not the polish. (At the very least it is packaged poorly by most distros).

It was a great review, though I should note that updates breaking is merely a development release issue. I would avoid a partial update unless you know it will not break anything you need. Short and to the point, told everyone what you felt and what they they might like. Great job.

I use KDE 4.4.2 on Gentoo Linux and it is awesome. I am not sure why you would find it to be unpolished. Perhaps you used KDE 4.0.x or KDE 4.1.x, which were both garbage. It might be time for you to take another look at KDE.

NightwishFan
April 26th, 2010, 11:06 AM
I have tried 4.4, amazing work, I really will not undercredit them at all. Just KDE 3.5 has minor stuff, such as the system colors in system monitor and etc, that were amazingly done. It is just opinion. As for what I meant about packaging is that KDE seldom has many themes or color schemes by default on most distros, similar to that. It makes up for it in all the innovation and interface potential. I honestly am fond of it, but I am liking the newer changes to Gnome better is all.

I am glad we have such choices, and I would rather pitch in than complain about KDE, I will explain why I am not using it anymore though. Just it is not what suits me.

BrokenKingpin
April 26th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Why review a beta release when the official release is out a week later?

sandyd
April 27th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Why review a beta release when the official release is out a week later?

cause its exactly the same, well... save for a few bugs.

BrokenKingpin
April 27th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Exactly, aside from a few bugs. What if you ran into a crippling bug and you put it in your review, only to be fixed for the final release? It would falsely put people off of the release, which could have been avoided if you waited a week.

EDIT: That being said, it is a very good review!

kenweill
April 27th, 2010, 02:13 PM
I have tried Kubuntu 10.04 Beta 2, and it's very slow on my machine. And it eats alot of my memory. :(

praveenthivari
April 27th, 2010, 06:34 PM
This time around lucid Kubuntu RC (even beta) appears to be completely broken for me atleast. It doesn't even get on to desktop. Evrytime there is this terminal desktop which comes up, not the GUI. And this doesn't seem to b solved till date.
So, may b I wont hv the chance to try it out. :-(

pbhj
April 29th, 2010, 11:56 AM
This time around lucid Kubuntu RC (even beta) appears to be completely broken for me atleast. It doesn't even get on to desktop. Evrytime there is this terminal desktop which comes up, not the GUI. And this doesn't seem to b solved till date.
So, may b I wont hv the chance to try it out. :-(

I just updated via "update-notifier-kde -a (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LucidUpgrades/Kubuntu)" from 9.10.

Initially for some reason the desktop wouldn't appear though it allowed the login and then showed the KDM ("login") wallpaper and splashscreen but never completed.

I flicked to a terminal Alt-F1, logged in and did a "sudo dpkg --configure -a" but it seemed everything had been config-ed fine. Then I did "sudo aptitude", updated, and had a look for anything that looked glaringly wrong in the available KDE packages. plasma-desktop wasn't installed (anymore) and so I installed that and there were a few automatic upgrades too.

Result is it works.

2 problems persist:

1) The screen resolution setting is broken - it isn't sticky and reverts on boot, it also displays a different res to that used. If I'm fussy I think that the gamma setting is a bit weird as well.

2) there's a display bug where the colour of the taskbar isn't being drawn correctly. I consider this to be pretty minor.

sandyd
April 30th, 2010, 11:28 PM
updated review

sandyd
May 2nd, 2010, 02:23 PM
bump