PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Biosdisc read error

Flatlander84
April 17th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Hey guys, I'm new to Linux. I'm trying to install, everything appeared to work just fine until it got to the point where it said take out install cd and hit enter to restart. I did and when it restarted it comes up wiht a message Grub loading for awhile. I assume that's normal? I don't know what the heck a grub is. But then what isn't normal is the next message: Error: Biosdisc read error. then it displayes grub rescue>. Where can I go from here. I already double checked the boot order in bios and my HD is first.

If it it helps, I have a 6 year old XP based alienware laptop. I was thinking about switching to linux anyway when a disc read error came across. Instead of reformating and re-installing windows, I tried this. I thought my hard drive might be bad but when I put in the linux install cd, it detected my hard drive just fine(even that 36 GB were used out of 40) and showed no other problems during the install. I chose the clean install not the partition, so it should of reformated and wiped everything else out.

Anybody know where to go from here? I apoligize if this question has already been answered previously, I searched and couldn't find an answer to this problem.