PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Risk of using firefox 3 while waiting for official later versions for 8.04 LTS

madwoollything
April 17th, 2010, 09:50 AM
I've recently received warning messages when running firefox 3.0.19 that the browser has vulnerabilities and that this should be upgraded to a later version.

There does not appear to be an official release of a later version of firefox from the ubuntu repos yet for 8.04 and I'm wondering what the 'risks' are of not upgrading? Also when an official version of 3.5 or 3.6 will be available?

I'm uncomfortable about using solutions that are outside the stable ubuntu repos for the LTS machines that I'm currently maintaining (for friends and family). Any help would be appreciated.

zvacet
April 18th, 2010, 12:20 AM
You can use Ubuntuzilla (http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/ubuntuzilla/index.php?title=Main_Page) if you want latest FF.

VeeDubb
April 18th, 2010, 12:39 AM
Since you want to stick to LTS versions and official repos, which seems pretty reasonable for systems you're maintaining for other people, I would just wait about 12 days, and upgrade all the systems to 10.04 LTS.

LTS, official repos, newer firefox.

Problem solved.

snowpine
April 18th, 2010, 12:46 AM
Canonical will support the Firefox 3.0.x in the Ubuntu 8.04 repositories until April 2011. Security patches from newer Firefox versions are "backported" to the stable 3.0.x within a week or two.

As mentioned above, Ubuntuzilla is a good option if you need/want a newer Firefox.

madwoollything
April 18th, 2010, 09:32 AM
Canonical will support the Firefox 3.0.x in the Ubuntu 8.04 repositories until April 2011. Security patches from newer Firefox versions are "backported" to the stable 3.0.x within a week or two.

As mentioned above, Ubuntuzilla is a good option if you need/want a newer Firefox.

Thanks .... its great to have confirmation that firefox 3 will be supported with security patches until April 2011.

I will upgrade all the LTS machines that I'm supporting to 10.04, but its good to know that I have up to a year to do this.