PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] install refused due to legacy package?

prue
April 17th, 2010, 09:10 AM
Hello,
Trying to install Wine on 9.10 Kubuntu and gets almost there and fails on:
"Cannot get the exclusive lock on the packaging backend
Please close any other legacy packaging tools that may be open"

I haven't got anything else running. Not even sure what the install program is - its just called KpackageKit.

Also not sure how to pick the right program to download - lot of similar names came up on the search.

THank you
Prue

byStanderone
April 17th, 2010, 09:39 AM
...haven't tried kubuntu yet, but when it comes to downloading packages, the safest way is from a legitimate site...such as kubuntu.org itself.

tom4everitt
April 17th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Try to install wine from terminal instead. Simply run:

sudo apt-get install wine1.2

in a terminal.

prue
April 17th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Try to install wine from terminal instead. Simply run:

sudo apt-get install wine1.2

in a terminal.

Hi Tom,
Tried that, answer=
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?
me@ubuntu:~$

BUT - an earlier attempt at installing Google Earth seems to have repeated .... ???

Cheers?

tom4everitt
April 18th, 2010, 09:59 AM
What do you mean happened with the earlier attempt to install google earth?

In linux only one application is able to install programs/updates at the time (to avoid system corruption etc.) Could it be that you have some other applications open that handles packages in some way? A window/applet with updates waiting to be installed for example. Or that you didn't close the program you normally install applications with before running the command I suggested.

prue
April 19th, 2010, 05:53 AM
What do you mean happened with the earlier attempt to install google earth?

Hi Tom,
It simply failed to complete.
UNfortunately, linux is not really easy to get around in and I have not found any of my old helpful ******* utilities equivalents.
I can't find any way of being sure of what programs are running, installed, or how to.

I want to install Wine - altho I THOUGHT it was in Kubuntu by default.
I did apparently do things ok with your suggestion but there is something jamming the system.
Still is after 12 hours and two reboots.

Cheers?