PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] bulk whois lookup

zfreak7c5
April 17th, 2010, 07:25 AM
I have been trying to figure out how to have whois do a bulk lookup on my server running Ubuntu 10.04. I am about the only one who uses the server and just want to see where the other IPs are coming from on inbound connections. So far there are about 160 IPs. What I have tried is cat ip.txt | whois > is.txt as well as cat ip.txt > whois > is.txt. All it does is error out or does nothing. Anyone have an idea? Thanks,

uberlinuxnerd
April 17th, 2010, 09:08 AM
If the file just has the IP's listed in it, with one per line. The below will work on the shell.

for i in `cat ips.txt`; do whois $i >> out.ips; done

zfreak7c5
April 17th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Still not working, it runs without errors, but the file is just full of No whois server is known for this kind of object. My source file is one IP per line.

thanks,

uberlinuxnerd
April 17th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Still not working, it runs without errors, but the file is just full of No whois server is known for this kind of object. My source file is one IP per line.

thanks,

I think what you may be looking to do is a reverse ip lookup. Is this correct?

zfreak7c5
April 17th, 2010, 03:02 PM
yeah, whois works fine if I run it with one IP, I know I figured it out a while ago, just can't remember what I did.

uberlinuxnerd
April 17th, 2010, 05:16 PM
yeah, whois works fine if I run it with one IP, I know I figured it out a while ago, just can't remember what I did.

odd...
whois 216.239.59.104 returned google for me so by rights the above for loop should work. Maybe if you pastebin out.ips and I will take a look.

zfreak7c5
April 17th, 2010, 09:40 PM
I think I found out what was happening, the script is fine, but some IPs the were listed are not accepted by whois. For example 239.255.255.250 errors out and seems to cause the rest of the IPs to not be looked up. If I make a list without the IPs with the issue it runs fine, not sure why they are not accepted by whois though, I can look them up on a online whois database just fine. I wonder if there is some way to modify the script to just ignore the ones that error out? I got these IPs using the darkstat monitor if that helps at all.

koenn
April 17th, 2010, 10:10 PM
239.255.255.250 is a multicast address, it does not belong to (a host in) a registered address range, that's probably why whois doesn't handle it.

http://www.iana.org/assignments/multicast-addresses/

I don't know why one lookup would cause all the following lookups to fail, though

zfreak7c5
April 17th, 2010, 10:32 PM
Got it working finally, the source file was created on a windows box and copied to the server with FileZilla, seems that some of the windows text formatting was left over and was causing it to trip up even though it appeared fine in vim. Just copied the contents into a new file with vim and it runs fine. Thanks for all the help.

sharimila
August 8th, 2010, 12:06 PM
I found this site http://www.whoisxy.com/ It give domain name,ip address and got nice result at free of cost ...
Its equally to good to smartwhois