PDA

View Full Version : Dont see difference between KDE 4.4 and 4.3

sandyd
April 17th, 2010, 01:59 AM
For some reason, I just dont really see any difference between KDE 4.4 and 4.3
It seems more like a "maintenance" release to fix missing features and bugs instead.

thoughts?

RiceMonster
April 17th, 2010, 02:03 AM
Here's some different things off the top of my head:

- Automatic usb drive mounting
- "aero snap" like feature
- Tabbed windows
- wallpaper can be changed via drag and drop
- Mouse bidings on desktop can be changed
- Plasmoids can be put in the system tray
- Plasma theme dialogue is now under appearance settings
- Date and time can be changed from the clock plasmoid

I guess it is a bit of a maintenance release, but I think it improved a lot of the gripes I had with 4.3

sandyd
April 17th, 2010, 02:10 AM
Here's some different things off the top of my head:

- Automatic usb drive mounting
- "aero snap" like feature
- Tabbed windows
- wallpaper can be changed via drag and drop
- Mouse bidings on desktop can be changed
- Plasmoids can be put in the system tray
- Plasma theme dialogue is now under appearance settings
- Date and time can be changed from the clock plasmoid

I guess it is a bit of a maintenance release, but I think it improved a lot of the gripes I had with 4.3
oh wait. thats why I was having windows resize as soon as they touched the sides of the screen...

they also added touchpad config, we dont need to change it via SHMconfig anymore

madjr
April 17th, 2010, 07:33 AM
i've seen tons of features and enhancements, is not like they're going backwards

lots more guis, the desktop can be traditional or new style, more effects, bug fixes, widgets, etc. and it's even faster

well worth the upgrade

anyway, this shows how stable it is and the well it's being accepted.

4.5 should be the definite leap out of puberty, a milestone, at the level that kde3 was

hotweiss
April 17th, 2010, 12:16 PM
So would you guys recommend 4.4? I'm thinking of switching when 10.04 comes around... With Kubuntu 9.04 I didn't have a V-Sync problem, with Ubuntu 9.10 I do.

szymon_g
April 17th, 2010, 12:29 PM
personally- i could recommend moving on kde sc 4.4- but on OpenSUSE 11.3, when it will come out. I like their implementation of kde more than canonical's :~

stuart.reinke
April 17th, 2010, 12:45 PM
personally- i could recommend moving on kde sc 4.4- but on OpenSUSE 11.3, when it will come out. I like their implementation of kde more than canonical's :~

+1 on both points.

4.3 is working so well on my 11.2 install that I hate to "fix" it when it isn't broke.

However, I am looking forward to 4.4 when 11.3 comes out.:)

lovinglinux
April 17th, 2010, 04:24 PM
I'm using KDE 4.4 on Karmic since the release and now with Lucid. Go for it, it's awesome.

praveesh
April 17th, 2010, 04:58 PM

I seriously doubts whether it is right to call KUbuntu canonical's implementation of kde . See http://apachelog.wordpress.com/2010/03/17/kubuntu-is-not-ubuntu/ . Unlike in the case of Ubuntu, the involvement of canonical in KUbuntu is less than that of the community . It's more a community distribution than canonicals distribution .