PDA

View Full Version : Hidden movie gems: Tell me some

bwhite82
April 16th, 2010, 05:17 PM
I just returned to Netflix after I saw they were offering a Wii disk to stream movies on my TV (love it BTW). The hardest part is finding stuff to watch! I've seen most of the big name flicks out there made in the last 20 years. What am I missing? Would love to hear your suggestions. Thks!

Directive 4
April 16th, 2010, 06:55 PM
withnail and i

chris200x9
April 16th, 2010, 06:57 PM
rave to the grave

bwhite82
April 16th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Thanks! Withnail and I looks intriguing. Couldn't find Rave to the Grave.

ve4cib
April 16th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Aegri Somnia: A Sick Man's Dreams (http://www.aegrisomniathemovie.com/)

(Incidentally it's also being turned into a serial graphic novel, illustrated by one of the production designers from the film. Chapter 1 is in The Imagination Manifesto Vol I (http://www.alchemicalpress.com/). Preview of the graphic novel can be found here (http://issuu.com/alchemicalpress/docs/aegrisomniapreview).)

nothingspecial
April 16th, 2010, 07:09 PM
I've seen most of the big name flicks out there made in the last 20 years.

They did make good films before 1990 you know. :)

Watch a really, really old film

Harold Lloyd`s "Safety Last" - about 1922

It`s funny

DM was on fire!
April 16th, 2010, 07:11 PM
...wait, when did 1990 become twenty years ago?
Oh god, I'm getting old.

If you don't offend to language or sexual references, "Idiocracy" is hilarious.
And although it's mainstream and there's a chance you've seen it, "Slumdog Millionaire" was amazing; both the movie itself and the music.

We have Netflix as well. I'll look through and see what all we've got.
We've gotten some odd movies. Netflix is probably looking at our queue and thinking "what is wrong with these people?"

chris200x9
April 16th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Thanks! Withnail and I looks intriguing. Couldn't find Rave to the Grave.

boo, your not missing much it's just a zombie movie that's so bad it's funny.

bwhite82
April 16th, 2010, 07:14 PM
...wait, when did 1990 become twenty years ago?
Oh god, I'm getting old.

If you don't offend to language or sexual references, "Idiocracy" is hilarious.
And although it's mainstream and there's a chance you've seen it, "Slumdog Millionaire" was amazing; both the movie itself and the music.

We have Netflix as well. I'll look through and see what all we've got.
We've gotten some odd movies. Netflix is probably looking at our queue and thinking "what is wrong with these people?"

I've heard about Slumdog Millionaire but haven't yet watched it. I'll have to check that out as well.

aysiu
April 16th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Not because these are necessarily the best movies (though they are all good, great, or amazing), but because they are hidden gems... most folks have either not seen these movies or not heard of them:

L'Appartement
A Better Tomorrow II
The Boxer
Bread and Tulips
Clue
Foreign Correspondents
Tales of the City
Love & Sex
Serial Mom
Ping Pong Playa
Just Looking
Lantana
Loggerheads
Presumed Innocent
Shortbus

Happy watching!

pastalavista
April 16th, 2010, 07:19 PM
http://www.netflix.com/Movie/The_American_Way/70033198

formerly titled "Riders of the Storm"

bwhite82
April 16th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Not because these are necessarily the best movies (though they are all good, great, or amazing), but because they are hidden gems... most folks have either not seen these movies or not heard of them:

L'Appartement
A Better Tomorrow II
The Boxer
Bread and Tulips
Clue
Foreign Correspondents
Tales of the City
Love & Sex
Serial Mom
Ping Pong Playa
Just Looking
Lantana
Loggerheads
Presumed Innocent
Shortbus

Happy watching!

Great list! Thanks for sharing. Some are even available to stream. I can honestly say that the only that I have seen here is Serial Mom, twas a good flick. :)

Maheriano
April 16th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Evil Dead Trilogy (old school b-rate horror)
Truth Or Consequences, N.M. (Kiefer Sutherland movie which for some reason never went big)

buddyd16
April 16th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Memento
The Life of David Gale
The Saint

I'll add a bunch more when I get home. I really need to stop watching movies and get out more.

bwhite82
April 16th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Memento
The Life of David Gale
The Saint

I'll add a bunch more when I get home. I really need to stop watching movies and get out more.

Thanks. Yes, the Saint is pretty good, watched a long time ago (may have to watch it again). I thought Elizabeth Shue was pretty hot in that movie. The queue is starting to fill out nicely.

buddyd16
April 16th, 2010, 10:14 PM
all these are on instant play:

The Ghost and The Darkness
Serenity
Short Circuit
Bad Company
Desperado
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
The Count of Monte Cristo
Fried Green Tomatoes
The Man with One Red Shoe
Moon
The Quick and the Dead
Pans Labyrinth
Seaquest (tv series)
Tears of the Sun
Traitor
Tin Man
US Marshals
The Dark Crystal
City Slickers I & II
Fletch
Fletch Lives
Guarding Tess
Cashback
K-Pax
Sliders (tv series)
Doubt

sisco311
April 16th, 2010, 10:44 PM
Cidade de Deus (City of God)
π (Pi)
Dīner de cons (The Dinner Game)
Le Placard (The Closet)

Lightstar
April 16th, 2010, 11:27 PM
Cidade de Deus (City of God)
π (Pi)
Dīner de cons (The Dinner Game)
Le Placard (The Closet)

Did they really dub 'Un Diner de Cons'?
Did you watch it in english?

I saw it in french, there's so many word games in that movie, must be hard to translate and keep the funniness. Awesome movie.

sisco311
April 17th, 2010, 12:16 AM
Did they really dub 'Un Diner de Cons'?
Did you watch it in english?

I saw it in french, there's so many word games in that movie, must be hard to translate and keep the funniness. Awesome movie.

I saw it in Hungarian, I don't know if it was translated to English or not.

Hmmm, talking about French movies, Le grand blond avec une chaussure noire is one of my favorites & of course the Louis de Funčs films...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a side note:

In general, Hungarian dubbing quality is very good. Some South Park & The Simpsons episodes are funnier in Hungarian :).

It's a flexible language, i.e:

In Hungary, it is common for translators to create a Hungarian text which rhymes for comedies and cartoons, using well-known local actors to provide the reading voices. The most famous example is perhaps the The Flintstones, with its entire Hungarian text in rhymes.

odiseo77
April 17th, 2010, 01:10 AM
The Conversation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Conversation)
Blowup (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowup)
Songs from the second floor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songs_from_the_Second_Floor)

The Conversation and Blowup are similar in many ways (I think The Conversation is not that "rare", or was not in it's time but it's a great movie anyway!). Songs from the second floor is definitely rare and very good too.

bwhite82
April 17th, 2010, 01:14 AM
Thanks everyone. I'll have to post back here after I've watched some of these.

JDShu
April 17th, 2010, 01:28 AM
I've always thought that the non-miyazaki directed studio ghibli films do not get enough attention. Memories of Yesterday and Whisper of the Heart are two of my favorites.

lisati
April 17th, 2010, 01:36 AM
Check out the Internet archive (http://www.archive.org/index.php) - there are some gems in the video section.

standingwave
April 17th, 2010, 01:37 AM
K-PAX (2001)
Primer (2004)
Katyń (2007)
Moon (2009)

lisati
April 17th, 2010, 01:39 AM
K-PAX (2001)

Now that's a good one!

3rdalbum
April 17th, 2010, 02:31 AM
The Dish - it's a feelgood comedy based on the true story of the Parkes radio telescope during the Apollo 11 mission. It's very funny, especially if you're Australian.

dominiquec
April 17th, 2010, 02:37 AM
Just saw Rescue Dawn on cable last night, and it was pretty good, title notwithstanding. It's a POW film, but very low key and beautifully shot.

buddyd16
April 17th, 2010, 04:24 AM
Just saw Rescue Dawn on cable last night, and it was pretty good, title notwithstanding. It's a POW film, but very low key and beautifully shot.

Red Dawn is an excellent movie the previews for it painted it as having more action and being much faster paced so I was a bit surprised when I actually watched it and discovered the slow pacing and less action-any tale of survival. I believe it is also based on an actual POW's recount of his time as a captive.

edit: if you run out of movies I have another 800 or so in my watch it again list on netflix instant play.

lisati
April 17th, 2010, 04:32 AM
The Dish - it's a feelgood comedy based on the true story of the Parkes radio telescope during the Apollo 11 mission. It's very funny, especially if you're Australian.

Now why didn't I remember that one? And the lead actor is a New Zealander.