PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Using Openbox

FarmerDaughter
April 16th, 2010, 05:08 PM
I have a couple of questions... done a search but I have not really found what I'm look for but if I missed it, feel free to post links.

I am currently running #! 9.04 but due to some changes to #! and after hearing that Ubuntu should now be able to support all of my hardware I am planning on going back to Ubuntu for Lucid. However I really love Openbox and the freedom I have in making my desktop look clean. How can I run Openbox on Ubuntu? Can I get the right-click menu? Could I make some keyboard shortcuts for applications that I use all the time? I will admit I have gotten so used to the right-click menu and the shortcuts on #! that I would really miss them. If anybody knows where I would find a screenshot of Openbox running in Ubuntu, please let me know. I think I have only seen Metacity to date.

Thanks so much! :)

iponeverything
April 16th, 2010, 05:52 PM
I don't think it should be a problem..

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Openbox

FarmerDaughter
April 16th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Thanks. Very helpful. That was just what I was looking for! :D

snowpine
April 16th, 2010, 10:54 PM
The CrunchBang project is alive and well, and the next release is in Alpha testing. I have been trying it out and it looks great! :)

MooPi
April 17th, 2010, 01:31 AM
The best way to install Openbox on Ubuntu is first to use the minimal install CD or the alternative and choose the command line install. From that point you can add openbox obconf and whatever suits your needs. This is how I've installed all of my openbox desktops.