PDA

View Full Version : HP Printer Drivers for Windows!!!!

otetiani
April 16th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Ok, I don't post often, but I've been really frustrated lately.

I co-own a business where I maintain all of the computer related equipment and have to use Windows there.

We have several HP printers and it is such a pain, the HP software conflicts with itself and everything else. I tried just using the bare bones driver and alternative scanning and faxing software, didn't work.

Why can't HP make a printer driver like we have through CUPS!!! I never have a problem with it (Well, I do loose wireless connection to one occasionally, but it's a 2 click fix).

Thanks for listening!

oldsoundguy
April 16th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Ok, I don't post often, but I've been really frustrated lately.

We have several HP printers and it is such a pain, the HP software conflicts with itself and everything else. I tried just using the bare bones driver and alternative scanning and faxing software, didn't work.

Thanks for listening!

First off .. NEVER use the drivers on the disk that comes with the printer. They are outdated before they are packed in the shipping box.

Go to the HP site and download the latest drivers .. do NOT install them .. save them and put them in a file where you can get easy access.

THEN install them.

SECOND, and most important .. do NOT utilize the printer on a HUB (powered or otherwise) .. it must be plugged into the motherboard USB outlets or into your print server DIRECT. (especially if it is a 3 in 1 or 4 in 1.)
USB in Windows is dodgy at best, so you do not want to compound the problem.
Think of it this way .. the hub adds another LAYER of USB drivers that have to be negotiated before you get the printer drivers installed.

undecim
April 16th, 2010, 03:54 PM
I can't say I've ever had to install HP drivers on any OS... What model are they?

Frogs Hair
April 16th, 2010, 04:14 PM
I am forced to use W7 barebones driver/software because my HP software is obsolete.
I don't think most companies want their products to last forever because they have to sell the latest and greatest to survive.

In my case the cost of maitaining an old product isn't justified because it truly is out of date. I think you will find that companies like, Gateway, Dell, and HP have limited support in terms of years and focus the newest products.

oldsoundguy
April 16th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Printers are different than other electronic items .. they can last for YEARS, provided they are mechanically solid and maintained and cleaned properly.
I have an HP 6mp laser (among other printers including an HP 4 in 1 and an Epson large bed photo printer) hung off of a XP Windows box I use as a print server that works just fine.
It is the 35 buck printers such as is made by Lexmark and some others that have to get tossed. NOTHING to do with their software, EVERYTHING to do with their construction.

IF you buy a top end printer .. it should last you a LONG time .. even if Windows upscrews the drivers.

I have an old 3 in 1 hung on an Ubuntu box that still works as well as the day I first unpacked it nearly 8 years ago. Yes, it is old and slow, but the quality is still there and it prints quite well. NOT archival photo quality, but it does the job intended.