PDA

View Full Version : Question for Electrical Engineers or Electronic Hobby

e24ohm
April 16th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Folks:
I have a quick question. I want to increase my power pack in my cellphone; however, no one makes a extended power pack for my cell phone.

Could I connect (2) identical batteries together in Parallel to increase the battery life? I think this is called amp hours, but i am not sure. I only know very little about electronics, so i am learning.

Thank you

undecim
April 16th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Not an engineer or even a hobbyist, but I can tell you that yes, connecting two batteries in parallel will draw power from both at the same time. I.e., the phone will draw 1/2 its power from each battery, giving you twice as much battery life as compared to one battery.

e24ohm
April 16th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Not an engineer or even a hobbyist, but I can tell you that yes, connecting two batteries in parallel will draw power from both at the same time. I.e., the phone will draw 1/2 its power from each battery, giving you twice as much battery life as compared to one battery.Hey thanks...

gzarkadas
April 16th, 2010, 11:30 PM
Since you intend to place the battery pack outside of your cellphone, you must ensure:
-- a good quality of the electrical connections
-- a good quality of the sealing of the connections and batteries from the outside world (especially from water / liquids and metal dust)
to avoid the danger of short-circuits, burns, explosions and the like.

Also resist the temptation to use cheap no-name batteries, especially if you opt for the lithium type.

See for example http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-5B.htm for more information.