PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installing ubuntu failed at stage 4 of 7

micky33
April 16th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Can anyone help, Please?
I downloaded Ubuntu 9.10 iso file and burned a cd from it. I have checked both the md5sum of the iso file and verified the cd, so there don't appear to be any problems there. I am using Windows XP Pro. I can't get past stage 4 of 7. When I get to stage 4 I get a white screen with a menu bar at the top containing:
Device|Type| Mount Point| Format?| Size|Used
and a second, greyed out menu bar at the bottom.
Left clicking on either bar has no effect, neither has clicking on the main part of the window, and right-clicking here brings up a little rectange with 'Revert' inside. I am hesitant to click this without knowing what it does. As I recall, double clicking the main part of the screen changes its colour to orange.
If I try clicking 'Forward' I get the message 'No root file is defined. Please correct this from the partitioning menu'.
I've tried the installation a number of times, and even made an extra partition on the hard drive in case that was the problem, but to no avail.
I'd be very grateful for any help, because I would really like to be able to switch between Windows and Linux, and perhaps eventually move over entirely to Linux.
Thanks, in advance,
Micky33.