PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Find what modules Apache doesn't need

wattaman
April 16th, 2010, 03:30 AM
This is a really noob question. I'm trying to figure out what modules I don't need so I can uninstall them. I know some I need, like rewrite, geoip, deflate (those activated by me, basically) but hey're others I have no idea if I use them or not.
I know is a hard question to answer because if I don't know what my site's needs ... how can I ask you? :)
However, I'm hoping there's somewhere a log file with the last used Apache modules, something that (for example) will say: module fcgid last time used: 01-01-2007 - then I'll know I don't need it.
So, is there something like that?!
Also, is there a way I can find out what other programs I don't (never used) need?

Ryan Dwyer
April 16th, 2010, 08:44 AM
You could disable all the ones you're suspicious about, see what breaks, then enable the ones needed to make it work properly again.

Of course, if this is a production server then you'll want to do this in a development environment.

wattaman
April 17th, 2010, 03:48 AM
You could disable all the ones you're suspicious about, see what breaks, then enable the ones needed to make it work properly again.

I was thinking of this as an ultimate solution. I have many sites each running its own script and it will take a little time to check them all by disabling module after module :(
So, I suppose there's no log with the last used modules :)