PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Openbox - Will it make sense?

infestor
April 16th, 2010, 02:49 AM
i want to use openbox instead of gnome. but i use applications that require KDE (kdesvn, kate, kile) and possibly some gnome apps also.
so at the end of the day the performance is gonna decrease right?

kerry_s
April 16th, 2010, 03:40 AM
just use what you like, sure there is a trade off, but if it don't feel right then you won't want to use it anyway.

mines a bastard of a setup to, i installed lubuntu(lxde+openbox) but i'm running a lot xfce4 & gnome on mine, i swapped pcmanfm2 for thunar+xfdesktop, i'm using the xfce4-panel & lxpanel, i'm using xfapplet to run gnome applets, etc...

the main thing is it works for me. it's linux you take the pieces & put it together how ever you want till it feels right to you.

renkinjutsu
April 16th, 2010, 03:47 AM
you won't really notice a performance decrease. Although there'll be a slight delay when you open gnome/kde apps for the first time because it'll have to load the gnome/kde libraries.. but after the initial launch, everything should go smoothly.

Another thing is that since you have two sets of libraries to run different applications, the libraries won't be using any shared memory, so your RAM usage might be a little higher. But just use what you want.