PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Live CD doesn't boot up!!

TheNerdAL
April 16th, 2010, 01:38 AM
When I boot my computer, It boots up but stays on the Compaq logo for a few seconds and then goes into my HDD drive boot and not my liveCD, I have my CD Group first in BIOS, help!

earthpigg
April 16th, 2010, 01:59 AM
lots of possibilities.

will that LiveCD boot with other computers?

will different LiveCDs boot on that computer?

Xeneth
April 16th, 2010, 05:17 AM
I know My computer requires a button to be pressed to boot from CD. Maybe like that?

la3875
April 16th, 2010, 07:39 AM
Need a little more info. I found the Lucid beta will burn the image to a CD but will not run. When I burn the same image on a DVD, the live disk works...

TheNerdAL
April 16th, 2010, 09:39 PM
I know My computer requires a button to be pressed to boot from CD. Maybe like that?

I pressed ESC and I put my CD Drive to boot up first and still nothing. :(

TheNerdAL
April 16th, 2010, 11:02 PM
I think it's my Optical drive, but I don't know!

TheNerdAL
April 17th, 2010, 12:09 AM
Anyone?

TheNerdAL
April 17th, 2010, 12:25 AM
Okay so I got to the part where I can check for defects. The Ubuntu Logo comes up but nothing happens. I press ESC and I get this:

stdin: error 0
stdin: I/O error

TheNerdAL
April 17th, 2010, 06:39 AM
*bump*

earthpigg
April 17th, 2010, 06:42 AM
lots of possibilities.

?

la3875
April 17th, 2010, 06:47 AM
Need a little more info. I found the Lucid beta will burn the image to a CD but will not run. When I burn the same image on a DVD, the live disk works...

Are you burning the image to CD or DVD. Might also be the burn quality? Try burning at a lower speed than max.

TheNerdAL
April 17th, 2010, 06:49 AM
lots of possibilities.

The Live cd booted with my sister's laptop but rebooted when I left the room which was wierd. O.o And for different CD's I only burned a 9.10 one and a 10.04 beta 2 one and both didn't boot that well.

They booted but when I check for defects it doesn't work.

TheNerdAL
April 17th, 2010, 06:49 AM
Are you burning the image to CD or DVD. Might also be the burn quality? Try burning at a lower speed than max.

CD and I burned it at 8X using K3B

TheNerdAL
April 17th, 2010, 06:54 AM
Should I attempt another burn but with a lower speed? K3B's lowest speed possible is 8X though.

TheNerdAL
April 17th, 2010, 07:15 AM
What is the lowest speed I can go and what is a good program that I can use with that speed? Thanks!

TheNerdAL
April 17th, 2010, 08:36 AM
Well, I tried 4x and it booted up okay and had no errors but it said that file system could not be mounted or something like that, help!

EDIT: MD5SUM is good.

wilee-nilee
April 17th, 2010, 08:57 AM

Noticing your signature, watch Song of the South again and recognize that the Brier stories are twice removed stories from the plantation, and guess who the bad guys were in the real version. Then try and figure out if it is a pre or post 1865 representation.

TheNerdAL
April 17th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Noticing your signature, watch Song of the South again and recognize that the Brier stories are twice removed stories from the plantation, and guess who the bad guys were in the real version. Then try and figure out if it is a pre or post 1865 representation.

?

TheNerdAL
April 17th, 2010, 09:37 AM
I burned a new cd at 1x and checked everything, which was good. But when I click install, it just freezes and has a black screen with a white underscore! Help!

oldos2er
April 17th, 2010, 07:07 PM
What are your system specs?

TheNerdAL
April 17th, 2010, 08:52 PM
What are your system specs?

I used a LiveCD that I got from Shipit and it was Kubuntu 10.04 and it installed okay. I am on Kubuntu right now. So Could it be just the CD?

cK`
April 17th, 2010, 09:25 PM
I have a similar problem, my cd will begin to boot up but right before the installion screen comes up i get a "unrecoverable error" and it restarts my computer. Tried reburing it and using the 64bit version but same problem.

I guess i have to upgrade from 9.10 to get it to work.

TheNerdAL
April 17th, 2010, 10:35 PM
I have an update, I can run Ubuntu off the cd perfectly! I might be able to install it by clicking the Icon on the desktop hopefully, I will update if it works.

TheNerdAL
April 17th, 2010, 11:24 PM
It doesn't work. :(

eltonw
April 17th, 2010, 11:34 PM
When I boot my computer, It boots up but stays on the Compaq logo for a few seconds and then goes into my HDD drive boot and not my liveCD, I have my CD Group first in BIOS, help!

It's possible that you may have burned the ISO to the CD or DVD as a single data file. Load the disk and have a look:confused: at the contents. It should show a few text files and several directories, If not, you did not use the right option when burning the ISO to the laser disk.

You should NOT see a single file ***.iso on the CD / DVD disk. .. and YES, if the iso image was properly extracted, you should be able to boot ... CD or DVD doesn't matter ... as long as the disk has sufficient capacity. You can even use RE-writable media, if you only want to try out the distro,

HTH...

eltonw
April 17th, 2010, 11:37 PM
I have a similar problem, my cd will begin to boot up but right before the installion screen comes up i get a "unrecoverable error" and it restarts my computer. Tried reburing it and using the 64bit version but same problem.

I guess i have to upgrade from 9.10 to get it to work.
...sounds like a dirty or scratched disk. You can try carefully cleaning the disk, with a soft cloth, OR do a new burn with a different disk.

HTH,

TheNerdAL
April 17th, 2010, 11:39 PM
I'm doing a new burn on a different computer. <.< Hopefully it works.

TheNerdAL
April 17th, 2010, 11:49 PM
Even the cd I burned on the laptop doesn't work! :( WHAT IS THE PROBLEM?!

EDIT: It works but let's just see if it works through everything.

oldos2er
April 18th, 2010, 02:20 AM
I used a LiveCD that I got from Shipit and it was Kubuntu 10.04 and it installed okay. I am on Kubuntu right now. So Could it be just the CD?

Um, no I'm asking about your computer's specs, i.e. CPU, RAM, video card, motherboard, etc.

TheNerdAL
April 18th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Um, no I'm asking about your computer's specs, i.e. CPU, RAM, video card, motherboard, etc.

I have no idea, I'm getting mad!

TheNerdAL
April 18th, 2010, 06:53 PM
I think it's my optical drive that is the problem but it worked one time perfectly!! :(

TheNerdAL
April 18th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Now I'm getting the logo only and caps lock and scroll lock lights are blinking.