PDA

View Full Version : Do you install Beta 1 of every new version?

TheNerdAL
April 16th, 2010, 01:27 AM
I install Beta 1 when it comes out in every version because I want to help report bugs and stuff. What about you?

dearingj
April 16th, 2010, 01:47 AM
I install alpha versions :)
I've been running Lucid since the first alpha, and before that I ran Karmic starting with alpha 3.

TheNerdAL
April 16th, 2010, 02:19 AM
I install alpha versions :)
I've been running Lucid since the first alpha, and before that I ran Karmic starting with alpha 3.

That'd be too risky for me. :P

garvinrick4
April 16th, 2010, 02:35 AM
I like to start from day 1. I already have a Lucid ready to upgrade to Maverick I believe it
is going to be called. But I always have a stable one to fallback on and a full install on a flash drive not to boot from but to have a source of clean config files and such
that have never been fooled around with in case I need one. I also make sure I do an update-grub with flash in to get a copy of the full grub as installed on flash. This way I always have a copy around incase I goof something up. I do not want to do a reinstall just
because I want to be able to always repair the install I have going thru the whole Alpha-Beta-RC-and Final Release. It is a personal thing. The day a Alpha 1 starts is a good day.

cariboo
April 16th, 2010, 03:28 AM
For the last 4 version, I've started using a new version as soon as the toolchain is uploaded. I usually have the current version as a back up just in case, as there have been a couple of times where Lucid hasn't been bootable.

aklo
April 16th, 2010, 05:39 AM
I don't.

I only install the official release, i'm just a simple guy who wants his os to work.

ThePinkPoo
April 16th, 2010, 06:01 AM
I am itching to start with Beta 2. Seems to be decently solid from some of the bug reports. By decently I mean solid enough for my use, but of course there is risk whenever you go bleeding edge.

Khakilang
April 16th, 2010, 08:49 AM
I just install Lubuntu 10.04 Alpha version. Like the OS but a bit slow maybe got some bug here and there, made some report and will definitely upgrade to stable version.

descendent87
April 16th, 2010, 01:37 PM
I test from day 1, soon as there are repo's for maverick I'll be using them. Have the latest stable version on a pen drive aswell just incase I need it

MichealH
April 16th, 2010, 02:37 PM
I install Beta 1 when it comes out in every version because I want to help report bugs and stuff. What about you?

When the Beta 2 comes out I put the Release Schedule on my wall. Well... Cork board.

scouser73
April 16th, 2010, 04:09 PM
For karmic I installed the first beta and I had some problems with it, for Lucid I installed alpha 3 and it's worked absolutely perfectly. It's only been the second time I've alpha/beta tested.

macogw
April 16th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Usually for me it's Alpha 1, and then yeah eventually I end up at Beta 1. Beta's too late to report bugs and expect they'll be fixed before release (unless they're *really* critical)

I think I've only ever reported one bug post-Beta that was fixed in the final release. It was 2 days before release, the main function of a default app flat out did not work, and the only reason it got fixed is because I debugged it to the point of finding the exact line of code that was broken, made a preliminaary patch, joined the development IRC channel, and told them I had a patch for a high-priority bug in a default app. The patch had to be tweaked (oops, almost introduced a memory leak), but if I hadn't gone through to the point of "this is the line that's broken and here's why" I don't think it would have been fixed.

If you're going to report a bug really late and expect it to be fixed, you need to be motivated to debug it all the way through within days so that a developer can sit down and write the patch in an hour or so. That probably means you spend a few hours debugging, but offloading the debugging from the developers means more patches can be written. If you want to be more leisurely about debugging, report early.

lovinglinux
April 16th, 2010, 11:08 PM
I usually try some alpha, but I always end up installing only Beta 2 on my main system.