PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unable to change number_of_desktops. Fixed to 1

marioja
April 16th, 2010, 01:21 AM
Hi I am running ubuntu 9.10 and in compiz general desktop size setting the slider for number of desktops is fixed at 1.

If I invoke gconf-editor and I look under apps/compiz/general/screen0 the value for number_of_desktops is set to 1 and if I change it to 2 and reboot, the number in compiz will still show as 1. Also, in gconf-editor when I click on the number_of_desktops in parenthesis it says (1:1) which seems to indicate the minimum and maximum value.

How can I increase this configuration parameter. Also, what is the effect of doing this.

Thanks,
Mario

mister_p_1998
April 16th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Cant you right button on the workspace switcher (bottom right of taskbar) and select four workspaces?

marioja
April 17th, 2010, 02:54 AM
mister_p_1998 (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=84016), doing this increase the horizontal virtual size not the number of desktops. Look at compiz/general/desktop size tab. Can anyone help here? How does one change the number of desktops and what is the effect of doing so.

hugin0
April 17th, 2010, 03:09 AM
my gconf also shows 1-1 as the number of desktops... but I am running 4 currently. The setting you want to change is the hsize, i believe, not number_of_desktops. I should say that you should be able to change the number of desktops by right clicking the switcher applet and going into the preferences.

-hugin0-

d1ma5
September 12th, 2010, 02:23 AM
My number of desktops is also fixed at one. I created a new user and it couldn't change the number_of_desktops either. I want another viewport (http://wiki.compiz.org/GeneralOptions#Desktop_Size). Does anybody have any idea?

andymorton
September 12th, 2010, 02:27 AM
You change the number of desktops using Advanced Desktop Effect Settings (from the software centre). I haven't used it for a while but if I remember rightly the option for the number of desktops is in the General Settings section.

andy