PDA

View Full Version : Do you compile from source on your Ubuntu install?

kevin01123
April 15th, 2010, 11:09 PM
Just wondering.

Milos_SD
April 15th, 2010, 11:17 PM
I compile a lot of things: Kernel, wine, x264, ffmpeg, mplayer, smplayer, alsa, pulseaudio (not right now on Lucid, I'll wait for new version to come out), mpd, ncmpcpp, K3B... :D

kevin01123
April 15th, 2010, 11:18 PM
I compile a lot of things: Kernel, wine, x264, ffmpeg, mplayer, smplayer, alsa, pulseaudio (not right now on Lucid, I'll wait for new version to come out), mpd, ncmpcpp, K3B... :D

Why, if I may ask?

FuturePilot
April 15th, 2010, 11:20 PM
Only if there's no deb available.

NightwishFan
April 15th, 2010, 11:20 PM
I used to compile a 1000hz kernel, but nearly the exact configuration I used are present in the preempt kernel, so I no longer need to.

tica vun
April 15th, 2010, 11:22 PM
Just a few apps that aren't in the repos (or are outdated). Using untrusted third-party repositories kinda defeats the whole point of having a repository and a package manager, so I might as well compile it myself.

Bachstelze
April 15th, 2010, 11:24 PM
Why, if I may ask?

x264, ffmpeg and mplayer because their development moves very quickly and having a couple months old version is simply unacceptable for some people. No idea about the others.

Milos_SD
April 15th, 2010, 11:38 PM
Why, if I may ask?

Kernel -> because I use 1000Hz and optimization for my CPU (Core2Duo)
x264, ffmpeg, mplayer and smplayer -> for the reason Bachstelze sad,
alsa -> because of the custom kernel, alsa from repos doesn't work
mpd -> I use it as my main and only audio player, so I want the newest version and version that can play anything (one from the repos can't).
K3B -> one from the repos was not the newest (now it is I think).
wine -> I use some patches for it (fallout3 vats one is one of them)
pulseaudio -> it works better when I compile it then the one from the repos (vanila pulse work better then one with Ubuntu patches).

And the reason for everything all together is that it just work better then versions from repos (faster, more stable, etc).

Phrea
April 15th, 2010, 11:49 PM
No.

PC_load_letter
April 16th, 2010, 12:08 AM
I compiled a few things, the hardest one was Sagemath (www.sagemath.org). I compiled it to get the latest version working on my ThinkPad T43. It took like 2 and a half hours, ended successfully. Compiled some games here and there.

Khakilang
April 16th, 2010, 09:24 AM
Nope! The last time I did it ends up with broken dependencies now its software centre for me.

gemmakaru
April 16th, 2010, 09:41 AM
I used to compile a 1000hz kernel, but nearly the exact configuration I used are present in the preempt kernel, so I no longer need to.

What does this even mean?

K.Mandla
April 16th, 2010, 09:44 AM
In Ubuntu, not so often. In other distros, most notably in Arch or Crux, yes definitely. I usually don't come across situations in Ubuntu where I feel building or rebuilding is necessarily an improvement. But that will depend on a lot of different things, including what I had for lunch, the phase of the moon and the color of the socks I am wearing. ... :roll:

Grenage
April 16th, 2010, 09:48 AM
For my home PC, not unless I have to; I just want it to work quickly. At work I compile a lot.

NightwishFan
April 16th, 2010, 10:27 AM
What does this even mean?

The kernel has less latency at the expense of overhead.

Ozor Mox
April 16th, 2010, 11:08 AM
I only ever compile games I play in multiplayer, because quite often you need the newest version to be able to play. For any other software, I usually have no problem waiting for the newest version of Ubuntu.

anaconda
April 16th, 2010, 11:16 AM
rarely..

maybe once in 6 months...

Usually everything I need are in the repositories,