PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade 10.04 from beta to release

trubendall
April 15th, 2010, 08:10 PM
I'm just wondering if when the final release is out, if we will be able to do a patch update or will we need to upgrade/install the release version? In other words, can I use the Update Manager to download the latest files/updates to make it the same as installing a clean version of the final?

I'm a noob, so if this has been answered or is common sense, I'm sorry.

Thanks,

3Miro
April 15th, 2010, 08:39 PM
My assumption is that you will be able to just "update" to the release version, however, I plan on doing a clean full install. I would just feel "cleaner", besides I do mess a lot with the settings and such and that also needs to be cleaned.

maddg3241
April 16th, 2010, 12:50 AM
ya i think all you do it hit update and you will goto the new release

clhsharky
April 16th, 2010, 01:09 AM
HI

Yes! Read the stick's.

Common Problems / Frequently Asked Questions About Testing
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1343449

If I install the alpha / beta / RC now, do I need to reinstall the final version when it's released?

You don't have to (Update Manager will let you upgrade to the final version), but you may want to, if one or more of the below apply:
You have tweaked your testing installation to a point where you're not aware of its exact components and configuration

You have replaced essential components of your installation with versions from external repositories / PPAs

You have used package installation scripts or similar tools which are not trusted by the Ubuntu development community

You have applied hacks / workarounds for testing purposes for good reason (prompted during structured testing, bug triage etc.), which may cause problems during daily usage of a stable installation

You're affected by potential corner cases that may require a reinstall to fix (which will be documented in the release notes)

Sharky