PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrading 10.04 Beta 2 to Official Releas

gvernold
April 15th, 2010, 06:46 PM
I need to install a distro on a new machine. I'm edging towards Ubuntu 10.04 but I don't have time to wait until the official release date. If I install Beta 2 and continue to update it until the official release will my version be the same as the official release or am I going to have to make a fresh install of the official release?

I don't mind putting up with some minor bugs (especially as some big ones seem to have been solved since Beta 1) but I can't be doing with another fresh install. This seems to be a problem with a lot of distros. Fedora is every 6 months with no LTS solution, Debian is outdated on a lot of packages I use and Arch just seems to spend a lot of it's time broken.

drs305
April 15th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Update it after the official release and you will have the latest release. No need for a new installation.

gvernold
April 15th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Actually I've just realized I have a Beta 1 CD which will stop me having to download it again. So the question again. If I install Beta 1, keep installing the updates and update it again after the official release I will end up with the official release?

The reason I ask is because I know you should do a clean install between versions and there is also a difference between upgrade and update, so I was just making sure that I will have a bug free (as far as the official release is concerned) Ubuntu 10.04 if I install Beta 1 now and just keep updating it.

Maheriano
April 15th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Actually I've just realized I have a Beta 1 CD which will stop me having to download it again. So the question again. If I install Beta 1, keep installing the updates and update it again after the official release I will end up with the official release?

The reason I ask is because I know you should do a clean install between versions and there is also a difference between upgrade and update, so I was just making sure that I will have a bug free (as far as the official release is concerned) Ubuntu 10.04 if I install Beta 1 now and just keep updating it.

Yes. If you install Beta 1, it'll notify you there are a pile of upgrades available which will bring you to beta 2. Then the only difference between you and everyone else is you're installing the updates to get to release on a daily basis where everyone else will install them all at once on the release date. Either way you'll end up at the same spot on release day.

gvernold
April 15th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Thanks guys... new 10.04 installation on it's way.