PDA

View Full Version : why is ubuntu faster in download speed

infestor
April 15th, 2010, 04:14 PM
with ubuntu i usually download at ~15 megabytes/s but with windows xp or 7 it takes quite sometime to reach that speed. is it the MTU size that matters here?

Frogs Hair
April 15th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Download speeds may vary depending on what site you download from , how busy the site is , and your connection type. ( DSL Cable Dial up) Ubuntu seems a lot faster on 50 to 100 mb downloads but those have been from the repository and I don't know if that is the reason. I have never downloaded a large 3rd party package.

CharlesA
April 15th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Shouldn't have anything to do with MTU, since it will be at 1500 bytes when it goes out onto the internet.

The only reason to have a higher MTU is if you are running Gigabit ethernet on hardware that supports a higher MTU. (I haven't been able to set the MTU on my gigabit NIC using Linux).

For me, both Windows and Linux download/upload at the same speed.

Khakilang
April 16th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Unless some spyware or malware is sending something or downloading something that may have cause the speed to be slow and Linux doesn't. Why not give it a scan and check it out.

Grenage
April 16th, 2010, 09:51 AM
with ubuntu i usually download at ~15 megabytes/s but with windows xp or 7 it takes quite sometime to reach that speed. is it the MTU size that matters here?

Are you windows isn't averaging the transfer rate displayed? Does it actually take longer?

xpod
April 16th, 2010, 10:37 AM

15 Megabytes?....are you sure you dont actually mean 15 Megabits?
I know a lot of people get confused with their download speeds when switching over but i think a lot of that is to do with the bits n bytes confusion.

Grenage
April 16th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Hey, some of us have a 100Mb+ connection. ;)

infestor
April 16th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Are you windows isn't averaging the transfer rate displayed? Does it actually take longer?
my reference point is rapidshare. either i use jdownloader or just firefox there is a significant difference! i tried this both on my laptop and desktop and i dont think i have malware/viruses.

15 Megabytes?....are you sure you dont actually mean 15 Megabits?
I know a lot of people get confused with their download speeds when switching over but i think a lot of that is to do with the bits n bytes confusion.

no, it is 100+ mbps connection